Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

has anyone experience on lubricating the chain with SAE 80W90 oil?

Best regards,
gearbox

·
Registered
386 Posts
You will likely find that most, if not all, of the oil will get flung off the chain the first time you ride it, and what's left will get washed off in the first rain.

Proper chain oil is sticky, and resists being flung/washed off.

Unless you have gallons of free 80W90, and don't mind most of it being all over your left boot and trouser leg, then I'd get a spray can of proper chain lube.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You will be ok with 80/90 if you put it on sparingly with a rag or cloth. It's not so good in a chain oiler because it doesn't stick quite like proper chain oil, as Glen Anderson pointed out,and also you can get winter and summer chain oil grades.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've tried it on my Tuono. After installing a DID ZVM-X O-ring chain I noted the packaging for the chain had an icon showing 80W90 so if I chain manufacturer suggests it, it must be ok... I also found that certain chain lubes (Motul was most notable in my experience) became very thick and gooey -- almost like a heavy grease -- when cool and that this stickiness may contribute to torn and tossed O-rings.

So I tried the 80W90 and found, as @GlenAnderson notes, that after a spirited ride that the chain was essentially dry and my rear wheel was sprayed with oil.

So I thought my next move would be to use a small cup (the cap from a spray can as it turns out); I'd spray in a bunch of Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube and mix in a few drops of 80W90, mix it up well and then use a small disposable paintbrush, I'd apply the mix to the chain. That actually worked fairly well and you can really get the mix onto the O-rings where it's really needed.

That works pretty well and seems pretty clean but it's more work than just spraying chain lube right on the chain. I'll typically wipe the chain down with chain cleaner and a microfiber towel to a golden sheen :) followed by an application of the mix; if I'm going to spend a few more minutes lubing the chain I might as well throw a cleaning in too. If I feel it needs a quick lube and I don't have time for the cleaning/lubing routine, I'll just use the Bel Ray alone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a self made chain oiler, 10 drips every 250 miles virtually zero oil on the rim and tyre. Nozzle on top of the chain so I oil it on the paddock stand. Chain has 6,000 miles on it and it's like new and I have never cleaned it. Aerosol lubes are ok but I find the chain goes black and gooey.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You did what??
Like an oil thread, or an oil filter thread, or a tire thread - you will get thousands of responses and no answers.
Kind of like there are a ton of lubes out there. There are a ton of theories and opinions on what/how to do your chain.

Using 80/90 weight will work.
You could use WD40 as well.
Or like I've read on another forum, someone never lubes his chain and gets the same mileage out of it as normal.
YOU have to decide if its what you want to use. YOU decide.
You know opinions are like a$$h*&s, everyone has one!

·
Registered
408 Posts
A thick lube will stick to the chain, offer better weather protection, but will attract dirt. A light oil will keep the chain clean but wash away easily.

The correct answer on what is best for a chain depends on when, where, and how you ride. And also on how much effort you want to put into maintaining the chain. Thicker lubes needs more cleaning, thinner oils need more applying.

Given the cost of decent chains and lubes, you could probably just get a cheap basic chain, a quick light oiling every time you go out, then replace the chain whenever required.

Also, do not forget wax, less messy than lube, better for dry weather, more cleaning effort.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I only use Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil on all my chains. My CBR500R has over 11k miles on the original chain. I don't even oil it very often. Only when the chain seems dry or after I've been in the rain. I apply it with a toothbrush.

I feel being non-sticky is a good thing because dirt and grime gets washed off by the oil. Keeps the chain clean. Sticky chain lube attracts dirt.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I only use Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil on all my chains. My CBR500R has over 11k miles on the original chain. I don't even oil it very often. Only when the chain seems dry or after I've been in the rain. I apply it with a toothbrush.

I feel being non-sticky is a good thing because dirt and grime gets washed off by the oil. Keeps the chain clean. Sticky chain lube attracts dirt.
+1 I do the same, 12000 miles on chain ,just one reset.

Plasma1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts