Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 CB500F with about 6500 miles on it. Been riding a long time, but dirt bikes when younger and cruisers as an adult. I have a very nice J&S lift for our Vic and Indian and used to just use a bucket for the dirt bikes. As I do my own work, I need to get my CB up off the ground from time to time! I will rarely ride it much more than an hour from home.

So will a center stand give me everything I need with the added benefit of being able to do such things while out on the road? Or will it just allow for some basics at home and away? I assume no issues with decreasing lean? I push hard, but I'm not dragging knees.

Or would I be better suited getting front and rear stands for maintenance needs given the close proximity to home? Can anyone tell me the spool size I need? And I assume a regular two-side lift for the rear and maybe a fork lift for the front?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I am lusting after a center-stand now. I live in an apartment so I sometimes travel to a family member's garage to do more intense work, like an oil change. And that means first I drive there with my truck to drop off my stands. Then I ride the bike over. It would surely be nice to able to do basic maintenance without having to make two trips. Similarly, when my stands are at home they are generally on my balcony. Which means I need to haul them outside and back for [easier] chain maintenance. Whereas a center stand should allow you to do it, and even do it out on the road. I think that a center stand makes better sense. I cannot speak to ground clearance, but quite a few people do have center stands. You can wait for more replies, or search the boards for previous posts to get some guidance on that.

I imagine you'd still want a proper set of stands if you're going to be removing the rear wheel, but I imagine it can be done if you're desperate with just the center-stand... Probably best of both worlds is having both if money isn't too much of a problem.

Spools are weird for this bike. I don't think the swingarm supports normal spools, and so people generally buy stands that lift from the swingarm instead of spools (mine are from Pit Bull). It works for maintenance, but it's not as secure as spools would be so you probably don't want to leave the bike on the stands for prolonged periods. There are also some funky spools that are mounted to the axle or something like that. In general, the spool options aren't ideal so it's up to you what you prefer... I went with a swingarm stand and it has served me well enough.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have (and have had) center stands on all of my bikes, including my 2015 CB500FA.
General maintenance is easy (chain cleaning, tire pressure checks, brake work.)
It also easy to remove wheels.

The rear wheel doesn't require any additional equipment, but a strap to rite the center stand to the front wheel assures the center stant will not retract no matter what antics you try.

In addition to the center stand, I use a bottle jack on the engine oil pan to jack up the front wheel when I want to remove it or work on the brakes or forks.

So, for, me there is no doubt, that I prefer a center stand to individual stands. And the center stand is available 24/7.

An additional benefit is that 2 motorcycles share my small garage.

I use a piece of plywood under the centerstand and I can pivot either bike (about 45°) to may clearance for other work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have (and have had) center stands on all of my bikes, including my 2015 CB500FA.
General maintenance is easy (chain cleaning, tire pressure checks, brake work.)
It also easy to remove wheels.

The rear wheel doesn't require any additional equipment, but a strap to rite the center stand to the front wheel assures the center stant will not retract no matter what antics you try.

In addition to the center stand, I use a bottle jack on the engine oil pan to jack up the front wheel when I want to remove it or work on the brakes or forks.

So, for, me there is no doubt, that I prefer a center stand to individual stands. And the center stand is available 24/7.

An additional benefit is that 2 motorcycles share my small garage.

I use a piece of plywood under the centerstand and I can pivot either bike (about 45°) to may clearance for other work.

+1 ,yes a center stand every time, had no problem with mine.

Plasma1:beers

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought the center stand and do not regret it. I can do reg. maintenance much easier and use straps up to ceiling joists to hold up front if I want to do front wheel removal.

·
Registered
448 Posts
A center stand is the #1 best addition to this bike. There are no problems with it dragging in corners. I remember long ago when all motorcycles came with center stands & was surprised when this one did not (especially since the mounting brackets for it are already welded on the bike). Buy the Honda OEM one as it is less expensive than the SW- Motech version.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love having a centerstand after 10 years on a Ninja 650 without one. The only glitch is deploying the side stand......there isn't much room to get your foot in between the footpeg and the center stand tab. I have to turn my foot and use my heel instead of my toe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first accessory that I have added to my bike was a center stand. I used a large Philips screwdriver to get the spring seated with a touch of oil on the screwdriver to slide the spring into place. There a few small accessories that I would like to add before I do much more riding mainly mirror extenders, and larger hand grips.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The secret to an easy install of the center stand spring is to take the muffler off. This allows the stand to go past the normal stopping point and shortens the distance the spring has to be stretched.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have front and rear for maintenance and for track duty for tire warmers. I’d love to have a center stand but it was out of my price range.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have front and rear for maintenance and for track duty for tire warmers. I’d love to have a center stand but it was out of my price range.
What? The price for the rear stand is generally about the same as the cost of the center stand, and could be even more.

For track duty, though, I could understand not wanting the extra weight of a center stand.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The secret to an easy install of the center stand spring is to take the muffler off. This allows the stand to go past the normal stopping point and shortens the distance the spring has to be stretched.
I had no trouble installing my stand by just using a flat bladed long but narrow screwdriver. Install took me about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So question on using straps to lift up front from your garage joists -
Where do you hook the straps to on the bike?

·
Registered
613 Posts
So question on using straps to lift up front from your garage joists -
Where do you hook the straps to on the bike?
One end I strap to the handlebars as far out on each end of handlebars as I can (but not on the grips or the controls) and then the other end of the straps on the above roof truss, trying to go out also as far as I can. Keep in mind, I still use the center stand - so it is not just the straps that are keeping the bike upright.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ditto on the ten minute center stand install. The screw driver trick that I read about prior to install just works. My "rear" stand hasn't been used (probably two years now) since I put the center stand on my bike. The only reason I keep it is that I still need it to lift the front wheel (I have the attachments for the stand that will work for that.)

·
Registered
294 Posts

One end I strap to the handlebars as far out on each end of handlebars as I can (but not on the grips or the controls) and then the other end of the straps on the above roof truss, trying to go out also as far as I can. Keep in mind, I still use the center stand - so it is not just the straps that are keeping the bike upright.

+1, That's how I all ways do mine,works fine.

Plasma1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts