Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Center stand is a very good thing. I installed a SW Mototech earlier this year and it sure makes things like chain maintenance more efficient, and it 's so easy now I clean and lube sooner than I did before. Is that a picture of your bike PRNDL? If so it sure is super clean. I could not keep mine that pristine unless I gave up riding!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My bike is so not super clean than the centre stand spring does not lift the stand the final inch, despite lubing the pivot and spring shaft.

Although with 45k miles on the odometer I no longer consider keeping it in a resellable condition a pressing priority. Besides, it has a centre stand, what else can keep a bike more valuable than that?

·
Registered
154 Posts
After the fitment of an Akrapovic mid-pipe and muffler (for weight reduction--around 7#) I no longer could keep the Honda accessory center-stand on the bike, as the OEM lump of a muffler has a nice "stop" for the center-stand to contact when retracted. Without that stop, the center-stand when retracted can strike the drive chain. I realized that I use the center-stand only for maintenance, such as chain replacement and adjustment and shock absorber replacement. I don't miss having it on the bike and when I do use it for maintenance I don't bother to fit the heavy spring from the stand to the bike's frame. If I'm going to move the bike even a little in these instances I run a strap around the center-stand cross-piece to the front wheel, so the stand cannot retract suddenly and give me a horrid surprise. I have a swing arm stand, but for some activities, like shock absorber replacement or removal, the center-stand is very valuable. It also was not expensive via Amazon, about $110 last year.

Ralph

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Center stand is a very good thing. I installed a SW Mototech earlier this year and it sure makes things like chain maintenance more efficient, and it 's so easy now I clean and lube sooner than I did before. Is that a picture of your bike PRNDL? If so it sure is super clean. I could not keep mine that pristine unless I gave up riding!
Yes it is...I like clean😉

·
Registered
154 Posts
RalphG, Yet another reason for keeping the stock can.
I don't mind the quietness of the stock can, but it's rather unattractive (IMHO) and weighs about 14#. 7# removed there, a couple more with the OEM passenger footrests and mounts, eventually a Shorai LiFe battery, and I'll have the bike down below 400#. As noted previously, I only use the centerstand infrequently, for maintenance work, and I can easily slip it on and off when needed. I don't fit the spring in those instances. Makes getting the stand on and of a breeze.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I applaud you getting the bike under 400 pounds. As far as unattractive is concerned, I feel that way about the entire bike. However the bike works so well that I don’t mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts