Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if someone can shine some light on to the cause of my little drama. My 2013 CBR500RA stopped dead in mid flight the other day, it was like it had been shot between the eyes. I turned the key off and then on again and hit the button, the engine spun over but it would not fire, I repeated this with the same result. I then rolled it down the hill and under a tree, took off my helmet and had another go, this time nothing, the engine didn't turn over and now without the helmet I could also hear that the fuel pump was not priming. I checked the fuses and found the FI fuse blown, I replaced it but still nothing had changed and the replacement fuse did not blow.

I saw Blackfins very good post of the 5th of October 2014 regarding the retrieval of fault codes. I did the business as instructed and found two ABS faults but nothing came up on the MIL, no faults recorded for engine management etc.. The ABS fault codes are 54 and 61, Blackfin listed a number of ABS codes in his post but neither of these were among them. The ABS fuses have not blown.

The odd facts are, the bike stopped, engine turned over on first two attempts to start and then all dead, FI fuse blown, replaced still stone dead, all lights horn etc. are working fine. found two ABS fault codes but both ABS fuses are intact.

I have looked for a code list for ABS but have had no luck, can anyone help there.

I find it hard to believe that the honda set up would blow a FI fuse and not an ABS fuse if the problem was all ABS related.

Does anyone have some advice on this? It would be appreciated. Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The fuel pump not running and the engine not cranking while other electrical components on the bike (e.g. horn, lights etc) work could point to a "main relay" problem. This is not the same as the starter relay that gave some early MY owners fits (myself included.)

The blown FI fuse suggests a faulty fuel injection or ignition component but is more likely, IMO, a wiring problem where a wire(s) insulation has been chafed away to the point the internal conductor is touching the frame causing a short circuit. Finding this can be a PITA s the wiring is some of the most-buried and inaccessible parts on a bike.

If the FI fuse reliably blows, disconnect the battery and connect an ohmmeter between the fuse terminals and the chassis. If it's zero you can try disconnecting suspect FI parts like coils and fuel injectors to see if the short goes away or start looking for wiring shorts.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel pump not running and the engine not cranking while other electrical components on the bike (e.g. horn, lights etc) work could point to a "main relay" problem. This is not the same as the starter relay that gave some early MY owners fits (myself included.)

The blown FI fuse suggests a faulty fuel injection or ignition component but is more likely, IMO, a wiring problem where a wire(s) insulation has been chafed away to the point the internal conductor is touching the frame causing a short circuit. Finding this can be a PITA s the wiring is some of the most-buried and inaccessible parts on a bike.

If the FI fuse reliably blows, disconnect the battery and connect an ohmmeter between the fuse terminals and the chassis. If it's zero you can try disconnecting suspect FI parts like coils and fuel injectors to see if the short goes away or start looking for wiring shorts.
Blackfin. Thanks for your thoughts. Any clue as to where I can find a list of ABS faults, I'm showing fault codes 54 and 61. Also any idea why I'm getting no fault codes on my MIL ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
re ABS codes, I can't help, unfortunately. I don't have the Honda resources available to me that I had back in 2014.

re the MIL: Does it illuminate when the key is turned on? If not, the ECU probably isn't getting power because of the blown FI fuse.

TBH, I'd focus on the FI fuse issue. Once that's sorted check to see if the ABS codes return after being erased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the MIL is on, I replaced the fuse but no go, dead, I'll have to start looking as you suggested.

Any thoughts on why I'm getting no MIL codes,

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, if power was removed from the ECU it may have reset any codes as they are stored in volatile memory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts