Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i'm new in your forum ( show your love :D ) . I want to ask your opinion about my new motorcycle! I live in Greece and we have bad roads, drivers are really bad also. I used to ride a Honda Innova ANF 125 and i had like 35miles on it when i decided to sold it. In less than a month i'm finishing my driving lessons and soon i will get my license :) I have decided to buy a Honda of the CB family! that's why i need your help. I will use it mostly from March to October since the weather is nice on these months in my country. I do like 10-15 miles everyday from city traffic to highway 2-3 miles). I'M IN LOVE with the CBR500R.. i sat on one last week (Model 2017) and i felt really nice, i found it super comfy and light.. BUT i read that they change a lot of things on the 2019-2020 model.. and especially the riding position!!!!!! I don't want a sport bike.. i mean i focus on a fun and reliable machine with low cost overall. Has any of you the 2019-2020 model? I want to know if it's still a comfortable commuter... because in my place i can't find one to test ride.. not even to sit on it :( and IF you don't suggest me the CBR500R for commuting , would you suggest the CB500F or CB500X ? in my place i have some places that X would be awesome.. mountains, sea etc but it's not in my main objectives with a bike.. ALSO i don't care almost no at all about the touring side since i have a nice big car for it and i prefer the extra safety ( BAD DRIVERS HERE! ALERT!). Is the F better for my needs (10-15 miles per day.. city traffic and a little bit of highway) ? or the X? SSSSOOORRRYY for the long post, but you are the only ones who can help me decide since i can only test ride a CB500X.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You didn't mention whether you will carry any items on your ride (briefcase, computer, clothes for work ?)
Also, your age ?

Us older riders probably would prefer the 500X for it's more upright rider position
and better windshield protection. The 500X may be better for getting luggage for carrying.

If you might do any riding on un-paved or rough roads, the 500X has better suspension for that.

Glad you are taking the training course. Ride safely and wear the safety gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't mention whether you will carry any items on your ride (briefcase, computer, clothes for work ?)
Also, your age ?

Us older riders probably would prefer the 500X for it's more upright rider position
and better windshield protection. The 500X may be better for getting luggage for carrying.

If you might do any riding on un-paved or rough roads, the 500X has better suspension for that.

Glad you are taking the training course. Ride safely and wear the safety gear.
thank you so much for your time :) i don't really care about caring things, i carry one backpack only with a laptop and some externals , i'm 26 years old and i don't really like the idea of having a motorcycle for rough roads. I need the motorcycle to lower my daily costs at least when the weather is nice. After some calculations i've done i can save from 400-800 euros annually if i use also a Honda of CB family and not just my car :) Because it happens to be in medical field also, i would never ride or drive without being as much safe as i can be :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Are you dead set on the CB500 family? Honda has the same model lineup in the CB300s. Less expensive to purchase, operate and insure. Looks are almost identical at a glance. And is certainly capable of doing what you've described you require of a daily commuter. Don't take my suggestion wrong, the CB500 is an awesome bike and would serve you well. I'm just pointing out another excellent option to consider.:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have both two 500x bikes, (one standard, one tuned with Rally Raid suspension), and an 500F (wife's).
I love both. The F is a bit lower, and more compact, in riding position somewhere between the 500R and 500x. The X is a more substantial bike, longer suspension (much better if you ride on rough pavement or bad roads), slightly higher seating and center of gravity. Depending on your height and the roads you ride I'd choose between them, and potentially abandon the R.
Having said that, if your primary concern is cost of commute, and not dead set on the 500 series I'd suggest to check others also. I'm using my 500x to commute from late spring to early autumn, but during the rest of the year I commute on my PCX. Returns a whopping 2.2L/100km on my roughly 2x20km in city commute, and much easier to manouver its even shorter wheelbase and 127kg weight around dense Budapest traffic. Although if your commute involves highway sections - it's probably not the bike you would like to take tho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you dead set on the CB500 family? Honda has the same model lineup in the CB300s. Less expensive to purchase, operate and insure. Looks are almost identical at a glance. And is certainly capable of doing what you've described you require of a daily commuter. Don't take my suggestion wrong, the CB500 is an awesome bike and would serve you well. I'm just pointing out another excellent option to consider.:)
Thank you :) sadly in my country i have only CB300R and it's on 6.000 euros, CB500F is on 6.770 euros, CB500X is on 7.400 euros and CB500R is on 7.200 euros , of course i'm talking about brand new ones. I really like the R, i'm trying not to take the X since i'm 26 years old and i find it a little bit boring .. i'm also almost 5'8 tall . In my country in 2019 were sold 260 X's, 11 R's and 13 F's .. it's gonna be hard for me to find a used F or R. Honestly i really like the R but if you think that it's likely that i'm gonna hate it, i will trust you and go for F or Kawasaki z/ninja 400. I want a low cost motorcycle but i still want to learn on it, i mean i HATE scooters .. it makes me nervous that the throttle isn't reacting as on the non-dct/automatic vehicles..(tested Piaggio Beverly, Yamaha Xmax and i just can't ride these :D ) the 3-5 liters are nothing compared to my 10-12 liters on my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have both two 500x bikes, (one standard, one tuned with Rally Raid suspension), and an 500F (wife's).
I love both. The F is a bit lower, and more compact, in riding position somewhere between the 500R and 500x. The X is a more substantial bike, longer suspension (much better if you ride on rough pavement or bad roads), slightly higher seating and center of gravity. Depending on your height and the roads you ride I'd choose between them, and potentially abandon the R.
Having said that, if your primary concern is cost of commute, and not dead set on the 500 series I'd suggest to check others also. I'm using my 500x to commute from late spring to early autumn, but during the rest of the year I commute on my PCX. Returns a whopping 2.2L/100km on my roughly 2x20km in city commute, and much easier to manouver its even shorter wheelbase and 127kg weight around dense Budapest traffic. Although if your commute involves highway sections - it's probably not the bike you would like to take tho.
Thank you for the reply. I have some highway miles in my daily basis/routine so i can't really go for something like this one, and I HATE SCOOTERS :p . i wanted my license to start learning how to ride motorcycles so i'm thinking for something from 300-750 displacement while being somehow low cost, reliable and maybe cheap to buy. I love Suzuki GSX-S 750 but in my country it's close to 10.000 euros.. :( Triple S 9.500, Kawasaki Z650 is on 7.300 , Suzuki SV 6.900, Honda CB family from 6.770 to 7.400 . I'm thinking of spending 8.000 at maximum but with my gear on. I have found some helmets i would like to try from 300 to 500 euros, a jacket on 250 and i'm still thinking about gloves and trousers. So i can spend barely 7.000-7.300 for a motorcycle, and trust me i will take a small loan for this :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, i'm new in your forum ( show your love :D ) . I want to ask your opinion about my new motorcycle! I live in Greece and we have bad roads, drivers are really bad also. I used to ride a Honda Innova ANF 125 and i had like 35miles on it when i decided to sold it. In less than a month i'm finishing my driving lessons and soon i will get my license :) I have decided to buy a Honda of the CB family! that's why i need your help. I will use it mostly from March to October since the weather is nice on these months in my country. I do like 10-15 miles everyday from city traffic to highway 2-3 miles). I'M IN LOVE with the CBR500R.. i sat on one last week (Model 2017) and i felt really nice, i found it super comfy and light.. BUT i read that they change a lot of things on the 2019-2020 model.. and especially the riding position!!!!!! I don't want a sport bike.. i mean i focus on a fun and reliable machine with low cost overall. Has any of you the 2019-2020 model? I want to know if it's still a comfortable commuter... because in my place i can't find one to test ride.. not even to sit on it :( and IF you don't suggest me the CBR500R for commuting , would you suggest the CB500F or CB500X ? in my place i have some places that X would be awesome.. mountains, sea etc but it's not in my main objectives with a bike.. ALSO i don't care almost no at all about the touring side since i have a nice big car for it and i prefer the extra safety ( BAD DRIVERS HERE! ALERT!). Is the F better for my needs (10-15 miles per day.. city traffic and a little bit of highway) ? or the X? SSSSOOORRRYY for the long post, but you are the only ones who can help me decide since i can only test ride a CB500X.
Glad you like the cbr 500r...I have owned both a 2016 & 2018. I have rode a total of 46000 miles on both bikes. Zero problems...If you have any questions feel free to ask...Honda did a great job with this model.... I am 54 years old and this bike is super comfortable...great on gas

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the CBR500R is a great commuter bike. My ride was 35 mile round trip, rural mostly. Great gas mileage and enough power if passing is necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2019 CB500F. I don't like the seating position of sport bikes. I had a 2019 Yamaha R3 and traded it in for the F. The F has a more upright seating position so there is no strain on your back arm and wrist. So my advise is ck out the F I think you'll like it.?

·
Registered
73 Posts
All I can say is that I use my CB500X for commuting all the time. I've taken on multi hr trips. I take it back and forth to work that's only 2.5 miles away. It's fine on the highway. It's fine in the city. By and large, the 500 series and it's iterations stock, are nearly the same bike save for styling differences. Go with the 500R since you seem to like that styling the best. If the seating position is slightly more aggressive than it used to be, handlebar risers will solve that, put you back into the position you're looking for and are super easy to install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im sorry for the people that are gonna read this thread but to help our friend imma use our native language. Λοιπόν και εγω τα κοιτάω αυτα, ειμαι φοιτητής ιατρικής στο πανεπιστημιο Σοφιας και με το CBR500R εχω κανει γαματα ταξιδακια(η θέση του ειναι ανάμεσα σε sport touring και σπορτ, δεν έχει αλλάξει σχεδόν καθόλου) και commuting στην πόλη, και θα το βρεις στην Honda στα 6500E με ABS και μοντελο 2016 βρήκε ένας φίλος μου στα 5990. Πάρε το R αφού σου άρεσε και το θέλει η καρδούλα σου, αμα δεν έχεις σκοπό να πας σε χωματόδρομο δεν έχει ουσία το Χ και το F δεν ειναι ότι καλύτερο για highway και για εξοπλισμό πάρε κατευθείαν απο την Dianese.com τα φέρνουν τζάμπα σε εμάς και ειναι τοπ να μην μπλέκεις με χαζούς Ελλάδα. Αυτά απο εμενα, καλές διαδρομές και με προσοχή παντα.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sorry for the people that are gonna read this thread but to help our friend imma use our native language. Λοιπόν και εγω τα κοιτάω αυτα, ειμαι φοιτητής ιατρικής στο πανεπιστημιο Σοφιας και με το CBR500R εχω κανει γαματα ταξιδακια(η θέση του ειναι ανάμεσα σε sport touring και σπορτ, δεν έχει αλλάξει σχεδόν καθόλου) και commuting στην πόλη, και θα το βρεις στην Honda στα 6500E με ABS και μοντελο 2016 βρήκε ένας φίλος μου στα 5990. Πάρε το R αφού σου άρεσε και το θέλει η καρδούλα σου, αμα δεν έχεις σκοπό να πας σε χωματόδρομο δεν έχει ουσία το Χ και το F δεν ειναι ότι καλύτερο για highway και για εξοπλισμό πάρε κατευθείαν απο την Dianese.com τα φέρνουν τζάμπα σε εμάς και ειναι τοπ να μην μπλέκεις με χαζούς Ελλάδα. Αυτά απο εμενα, καλές διαδρομές και με προσοχή παντα.
sorry for the late reply! Covid ruined everyone's lives! Σε ευχαριστώ πολύ για τα info αδερφούλη! Κοιτάω για μοντέλο 2019 και μετά για να έχει τις νέες αλλαγές, έκατσα σε ένα του 2017 πάνω και έκανα σαν παρθένο κοριτσάκι που θα γαμηθει 1η φορά! Στο μυαλό μου το μόνο καλύτερο μηχανάκι atm είναι το 650R αλλά δεν κάνει για την χρήση που το θέλω.. Ξεφεύγω σε χρήματα κατά πολύ! Ας είμαστε υγιείς και με μια καλή δουλειά ακόμα και σε ξένη χώρα και η μηχανή είναι καθ'οδον! Χάρηκα πολύ, nped.dll είμαι στο insta κάνε follow αν θες να τα λέμε και να το βλέπεις όταν το βρω και το πάρω! Εύχομαι όλα να σου έρθουν όπως τα θες. Νίκος.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Google Translation:

" Discussion Starter • # 13 4 d ago
ThanosRR said:
Im sorry for the people that are gonna read this thread but to help our friend imma use our native language. Well, I'm looking at that too, I'm a medical student at Sofia University and with the CBR500R I've done a lot of travel (its position is between sport touring and sports, it has hardly changed at all) and commuting in the city, and you'll find it in Honda at 6500E with ABS and model 2016 a friend of mine found it at 5990. Get the R after you liked it and your little girl wants it, but if you don't intend to go on a dirt road, X and F don't matter, it's not the best for highway and for equipment get directly from Dianese.com they bring them to us and it's great not to be blue in Greece with stupid. These from me, good routes and always with care.
sorry for the late reply! Covid ruined everyone's lives! Thank you very much for the info bro! I'm looking for a 2019 model and then to have the new changes, I sat on one of 2017 and did like a virgin girl who will **** for the first time! In my mind the only best atm motor is the 650R but it doesn't do for the use I want .. I get away with a lot of money! Let's be healthy and with a good job even in a foreign country and the machine is on its way! I was very happy, nped.dll I'm on insta follow if you want us to talk and see it when I find it and get it! I wish you all the best. Nikos."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts