Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

CBR500R vs CB500X vs CB500F 2020

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Hellnuk3r 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i'm new in your forum ( show your love :D ) . I want to ask your opinion about my new motorcycle! I live in Greece and we have bad roads, drivers are really bad also. I used to ride a Honda Innova ANF 125 and i had like 35miles on it when i decided to sold it. In less than a month i'm finishing my driving lessons and soon i will get my license :) I have decided to buy a Honda of the CB family! that's why i need your help. I will use it mostly from March to October since the weather is nice on these months in my country. I do like 10-15 miles everyday from city traffic to highway 2-3 miles). I'M IN LOVE with the CBR500R.. i sat on one last week (Model 2017) and i felt really nice, i found it super comfy and light.. BUT i read that they change a lot of things on the 2019-2020 model.. and especially the riding position!!!!!! I don't want a sport bike.. i mean i focus on a fun and reliable machine with low cost overall. Has any of you the 2019-2020 model? I want to know if it's still a comfortable commuter... because in my place i can't find one to test ride.. not even to sit on it :( and IF you don't suggest me the CBR500R for commuting , would you suggest the CB500F or CB500X ? in my place i have some places that X would be awesome.. mountains, sea etc but it's not in my main objectives with a bike.. ALSO i don't care almost no at all about the touring side since i have a nice big car for it and i prefer the extra safety ( BAD DRIVERS HERE! ALERT!). Is the F better for my needs (10-15 miles per day.. city traffic and a little bit of highway) ? or the X? SSSSOOORRRYY for the long post, but you are the only ones who can help me decide since i can only test ride a CB500X.

See less See more
#2 ·
I opted for the F model (May, 2019, unsold 2017 model) because of less weight than the X and easier maintenance access than the R model. This bike was my 85th in my 83 years, so I qualify as an experienced rider. I raised the front sprocket from 15T to 17T (details re how--easy--on this forum and OEM chain fits) and I ride rather moderately, getting a consistent mileage of over 70 miles per US gallon with 600 rpm less at 60 mph than with the 15T sprocket. Makes for a less "buzzy" engine. I found the OEM seat soon made me miserable and went ahead and bought a Corbin leather seat, which makes all the difference I'd hoped for and this has been confirmed by other members of this forum who invested in a Corbin seat.

30mm handlebar risers cost $17 USD on e-bay and required no cable replacements.and they add to rider comfort. I found the OEM handlebar grips too firm and coupled with the very stiff suspension (I weigh 136#) and I intend to fit a Wilbers shock absorber sprung to my weight.

Today's CB-500 series of Honda bikes is a fine design mated with excellent quality control. Many owners have experienced excellent reliability over serious odometer readings.

I recommend that you take a test ride on the dealer's X model. Same engine and better riding position , in my opinion. The taller, wider bars are a distinct advantage, but I chose the leftover '17 F because of a discount of $2,000 USD with full Honda warranty.

I'll add that the brakes, front and rear, are the best I've ever experienced. For a lower cost bike, they really were a pleasant shocker!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.