Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is a carry on from my last post of "Making the most of Honda's 500" going into detail of the mods done to my bike in it's full-fairing guise.

I had only just got the bike running how I'd wanted it; with engine, suspension, brakes all upgraded and mods done in the looks department. It was just the way I liked it, and then... A moment I'd sooner forget, saw me sliding along the road watching my bike on its side heading for a cliff. Thankfully the guardrail stopped the bike going over, and double thankfully, the bike hit the rail post at an angle that avoided any structural damage - the front fairings and headlight literally exploded on impact, but the frame suspension and most of the bits to the rear avoided any significant damage.

The insurance assessed it as a repairable write-off and within a couple of weeks I received the pay-out. After having the R for over 6yrs I had been developing an itch for something different, and with new found funds and the wrecked bike back in my garage; opportunity presented to do something different with my R instead of just rebuilding it to the way it was. So with a bit of googling for ideas and prices, I embarked on a little project to turn my R into something more Frankenstein than it was before (at last count it had parts from 7 different bikes).

The rebuild went quite smoothly, with the only real gripe being the postal delay due to covid; but some aspects I could still keep busy with while bits arrived. With all frontal damage removed, I was pleased to assess that there was very minimal damage to the rest of the bike.
- The left engine case got a quick sand and touch up
- Along with a very small scratch on the left rear fairing
- Plasti-welded one of the radiator fan clips
- I threw back on the stock hand and foot controls that I'd kept in the garage, as the left hand lever and peg were no longer any good.
- I had a spare pair of bar end weights to finish that aspect off
- The throttle cables both had been pinch crushed, and it would be 6 weeks later that those parts would arrive.

Next I got to work on the electrics, as wiring is always the biggest PITA to do. For a clean look I wanted to move all the wiring that was on the outside of the frame, previously hidden by the fairings, to be inboard. This turned out to be an easier task than I first though, as I had previously removed the PAIR system and blanked off the valve cover, there was actually plenty of room to re-route everything.
- The majority of wiring was routed on the left-hand side, with just the left bit of plastic that previously would've held the PAIR pump being snipped off to make way for the routing.
- I had in my 'things of random' stash a bunch of automotive zip-ties, the ones with the little clips on the ends, so that made it easy to do the routing.
Knowing heat and electrics don't go well together, the final days of the build also had me cut out a make-shift heatshield from an old fire blanket I'd been using to wrap some other junk up with, that would sit onto of the existing rubber item, but extend further to fully cover the valve cover.
With wiring tidied, I felt it needed something to blank off and hide where I'd tucked them. So to my scrap pile again (this will be a common theme, it was with this build I realised just now much useful "scrap" I actually do have!), I cut out some pieces of firm plastic sheeting and some automotive mesh, zip-tied together and bordered with some old fuel line.

--> cont...

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At this time I was also pondering a method to mount my speedo. I didn't much like the aftermarket offerings and for simplicity's sake figured I'd stick with a stock unit. Mine was demolished and I picked a 2nd hand one up from the wreckers fairly cheaply, as I also bought from him a full factory exhaust system that I knew I'd need to pass the roady inspections. In my scrap pile I found some aluminium off-cuts I figured I could work with. Cut out a backing plate to the dimension of the speedo, with cut-outs for the rubber mounting grommets and wire connector. Measure, drill, cut, bend, rivet, and bada-bing I had a speedo mounting bracket.
Also, while I had the speedo out, I took the time once again to the polarizing film mod to get white on black like I had with my old one.

To mount it, I had figured to just sandwich it between the ignition barrel and top bridge using the ignition bolts and HISS screws to hold in place. I found out however, it wasn't so simple...
- I needed to flip the cable stay upside-down and trim the tabs that had previously pointed up.
- Had to use some longer screws for the HISS, from my stash found some extra long ones that I trimmed to length.
- The HISS needed to sit 3mm higher for clearance of my speedo bracket. Realising my knee panels would need trimming anyway, I used the plastic from that off-cut and made my own key hole spacer.
- With the ignition barrel now sitting 3mm lower, the barrel lock pin could not slide into its frame hole. The bottom inner wall of the hole needed ~1.5mm shaved from it for clearance.

While I was waiting for parts to arrive, I took the opportunity to do some general tidy up and maintenance items. Touch up paint on various small chips and such, resprayed the fork lowers and fork oil change, polished the headers, pulled out and regreased the swingarm

--> cont...

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By this stage some of my eBay purchase had started to arrive.
- Rebel 500 (CMX) front indicators, which I swapped my R's clear lenses onto and swapped the bulbs for amber/white led units.
- LED grilled headlight
- Smoked windshield
- Larger capacity radiator

The radiator had a nicer polished finish than I was expecting, though it was made for the X/F and had some unsightly lower mounting points sticking out. Rather than cut them off, I decided to add a lower metal component for aesthetics.

For the headlight, after testing which wires were for what, I kinda like the look of just being able to run it with the halo without low beam. So I purchased a microswitch and set about installing it into the left switch assembly, routing the wire for it to a relay with power sourced from a power-brick I'd installed previously (the micro switch doesn't have the capacity to run the full amperage required of the headlight).
I also found that the fork-mount brackets I'd purchased to mount the headlight were too short for clearance of the speedo bracket I'd made earlier. Simple fix though, as I still had left over of the same aluminium, sufficient to cut and drill my own longer brackets that would still attach to the fork clamps.

While I was making the headlight bracket, I figured I'd future proof myself and have a couple switches spare that I could use a later stage. So with another off-cut of metal I knocked up a plate to mount the switches to, and used a cut off of the old gauge surround to make a weather deflector on the back side for the switches.

--> cont...

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Another small thing using some more offcut of the old gauge surround was to heat and bend and cut a couple pieces to mount the side reflectors, as I had long time ago lost the brackets that previously had them mounted on the forks. By this stage it was coming along very nicely indeed and could have it sitting there in it's first iteration that it would go for its roady tests as. Though I was still waiting on the throttle cables and mirrors to arrive, so at this stage was still unrideable.

Finally the rest of my parts arrived, including a headlight from a CB125E, as the grilled version I couldn't see the 'E' logo to say it was ADR compliant (later I would find it) and thought it wouldn't pass the tests, so swapped the CB125E on. And so with all stock bits back on, hand/foot controls, exhaust, rear fender, pillion pegs and grabrails; it was ready for the inspections.

RWC was done that same week and a week and a half later the WOV inspection done too, then was off to Main Roads to get it registered and obtain a new licence plate.

Over the next few weeks following I did a few other small things :
- Re-installed the IXIL decat header and yoshi slip-on
- Re-installed the power commander and PLX wideband O2
- removed the pillion items
- Re-installed the grilled headlight
- Repositioned the headlight and windshield position
- put the R&G tail tidy back on
- Swapped the indicators back to the slimline ones I'd had before, including a couple brackets for the front ones to space them min 300mm for compliance.
- Fitted mirror extension brackets as the mirrors I had I found I was constantly knocking with my knuckles.
- Made a front fender extender
- Installed new rearsets, configured with GP Shifting
- Re-installed the 1" riser clip-ons with new shafts (as the left one got bent in the accident)
- Made a blanking panel for the wires behind the headlight
- Fabricated a small bracket to stabilise the fuel tank to the frame, as without the fairing present there was some lateral movement that was off-putting.
- Paint stripped and polished the fuel cap

And so as it stands today I deem it to be streetfighter build complete. As mentioned, I was having a change of heart with the full-fairing bike and this just happened at the right time, that I can still keep the bike I have grown to love, yet get a different look for it at the same time.

For what it's worth I recently re-re-weighed it on my friend's pallet scales, full wet weight it comes at 180.5kg; that's a saving of almost 14kg over stock. So now not only is it one of the highest horsepower CBRs out there, it is also one of the lightest.

Finished :)

(will post some more pics later... only just got the final iteration sorted yesterday and it's been raining this weekend)

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One question I'm sure some will raise... how much?
As you've seen a few parts were fabricated from scraps, albeit those bits of metal and what not are cheap as from local hardware stores. And certainly the tools used were a bonus to get get a good finish - rep+1 to the Dremel, Drill Press and Bench Vice.

But of the parts actually purchased to get it to the final iteration (prices in AUD):
Radiator - 130
TTO temperature gauge - 75
Fork strut brace - 50
Clip-on replacement tubes - 35
Sequential flow led indicators - 30
Adjustable rear sets - 142
Folding foot pegs - 26
USB waterproof port - 20
Speedo gauge - 145
Throttle cables - 40
Mirrors - 40
LED headlight - 135
Smoke windshield - 35
headlight mounting brackets (only fork clamps used) - 45
Replacement slider pucks - 25
Replacement spools - 25

SUB-TOTAL PARTS = $998

Safety Certificate Inspection - 60
Written-off Vehicle Inspection - 347

SUB-TOTAL FEES = $407

TOTAL REBUILD COST = $1,405

(Re-registration is on top of that, though excluded as it's a standard annual charge anyway)
There were extras incurred on top of that, like the full stock exhaust system, exhaust gaskets to mount it, and the CB125E headlight I'd bought not realising the LED one I had was fine anyway; but excluded as they were no longer part of the final iteration.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've been informed my bike isn't really a streetfighter as they have dirtbike handlebars and meant to more "mean" than typical. But it's also not a standard/naked bike as it has the sportsbike clip-ons and rearsets. So now I'm just confused as to what to actually call it... Is it a sports-naked? superfighter? Something else?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
So I've been informed my bike isn't really a streetfighter as they have dirtbike handlebars and meant to more "mean" than typical. But it's also not a standard/naked bike as it has the sportsbike clip-ons and rearsets. So now I'm just confused as to what to actually call it... Is it a sports-naked? superfighter? Something else?
The bike looks very cool. No need to slot it into one category or another.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've now also acquired a 2nd set of wheels I'll be putting ADV tyres onto.
A mate gave me a 28mm dirt bike handlebar which I'll be attaching to the top bridge by drilling and bolting some riser clamps on (I originally bought an X model's bridge, but I'd rather keep my steering stabiliser, as it doesn't fit between the uprights).
With re-installing the stock foot pegs, and dialling in softer compression on the suspension, I'll have another iteration that is more adventure orientated - two bikes for the price of one 😁

But question is one pair of wheels I want to paint... Maybe Gold, thoughts? Another colour?
And I'm not sure if I want the black or painted ones for the dirt or road iteration of the bike either; decisions, decisions 🤔

·
Registered
18 Posts
DUDE THIS IS EPIC!!!! exactly what I needed! I owe you a pic of my own twist to this as soon as I'm done with it. and you finally solved the mysterious speedo mount dilemma that had me stumped for the longest time. thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A couple more pics since the rebuild and having done a few subtle little tweaks
#cbr500r #streetfighter

Enjoying the ride :)

Bring on the curves!

Finding different places

Going down random tracks

Loving the new look of this thing! Being even more custom now, gets a heck of a lot more attention at the meetups and cafes with the ogglers :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts