Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
My bike is 4-weeks old as of yesterday and I have rust on it already!
I can't believe such a thing could happen on me.…

·
Registered
650 Posts
It is hard for me to believe that you actually have rust.

If so, however, use a spray like LPS #1 to spray those areas where moisture could be laying and not drying out. I live in a very high humidity area, and my 2016 has nary a drop of rust.

Make sure that you recognize that wD-40 is for moisture displacement ONLY, it will not help to repel moisture later as it is NOT a lubricant.

Reactions: axl0805

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is hard for me to believe that you actually have rust.

If so, however, use a spray like LPS #1 to spray those areas where moisture could be laying and not drying out. I live in a very high humidity area, and my 2016 has nary a drop of rust.

Make sure that you recognize that wD-40 is for moisture displacement ONLY, it will not help to repel moisture later as it is NOT a lubricant.
CBR500R is more expensive before, it has become cheaper in recent years but the quality has also declined

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you think I could use the warranty under this situation?
How’s your opinions?

ps:Are parked under the eaves, and then covered with a waterproof cover, usually

·
Registered
370 Posts
Do you think that this kind of situation can be guaranteed?
ps:Are parked under the eaves, and then covered with a waterproof cover, usually
I wouldn't be happy with that. I would complain to dealer and ask them to make a note of the complaint for the future if any other rust appears elsewhere on the bike during or after the warranty expires . Maybe you will sell the bike before that is ever an issue 20 years.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Remove the pillion seat and have a look where the subframe tube finishes and it should be open ended get a length of tube and squirt some anti rust penetrant down the end of the subframe tube and watch it run out of your rust hole.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think Oyabun's spot on. Rust from the internal part of the frame tubing, coming out of its weep-hole that allows moisture to escape. I wouldn't be concerned.... and I'm OCD with most things real and imagined. ;)

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
Do you think I could use the warranty under this situation?
How’s your opinions?

This is not a warranty issue - read no problem with the bike what would affect functionality or safety of use. As this is coming from an internal surface, of a very strong mild steel part it is practically not expected to affect the structural integrity of the frame within the usable lifetime of the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It may look like rust but is isn't. Consider the "rust" on the cover of the rear brake fluid reservoir. The cap is aluminum; does not rust. What you have is some rusty water coming from somewhere else, getting on your frame parts. It should wipe off. As suggested, it may be coming from inside a frame tube. I suspect you live in a rainy area and the bike may be outside and uncovered. My 2017 F model has over 8000 miles and not a spot of rust.

Ralph

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you can find "weep" holes intentionally put into the frame tubes, use a good anti-rust inhibitor (LPS #3) and spray into those holes, but do not plug them up. There needs to be an air flow through there to allow for dry air to dry out the insides of those places.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts