Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’ve had my 2020 CBR500R a few months now and due to certain circumstances I’m having to keep it outside a whole lot more, most days now, it has a high quality cover on it but I’m worried about long lasting effects of it being outside. Anyone have any long term experience or thoughts? (Yes I know a garage is so much better and I wish that was an option) but without the choice is it okay or is my bike rapidly falling to piles of rust as many people seem to think? Side note - security where I live is not a worry.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Perfectly okay, it will not fall apart.

My 2016 CB500F has been kept outside since I bought it in 2017, it still works.

Some of the nuts get a little rust on them, they can be easily cleaned and protected with some ACF-50. The main problem is the chain, which attracts surface rust on the rollers. Nothing too serious, covering helps. So does riding regularly so there is always fresh lubrication for protection and friction to keep them clean.

Regular washing and treating can keep it looking like new, if that is what is important to you.

Otherwise the biggest problem seems to be tree sap and spiders.

I have mixed feelings about a cover, I usually use one in winter but I find they can be just as good at trapping moisture on the chain (vents or not) as protecting it from the elements. They do prevent the bike being covered in sap (mind, so does not having to park near a tree!) but spiders are not afraid of the dark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfectly okay, it will not fall apart.

My 2016 CB500F has been kept outside since I bought it in 2017, it still works.

Some of the nuts get a little rust on them, they can be easily cleaned and protected with some ACF-50. The main problem is the chain, which attracts surface rust on the rollers. Nothing too serious, covering helps. So does riding regularly so there is always fresh lubrication for protection and friction to keep them clean.

Regular washing and treating can keep it looking like new, if that is what is important to you.

Otherwise the biggest problem seems to be tree sap and spiders.

I have mixed feelings about a cover, I usually use one in winter but I find they can be just as good at trapping moisture on the chain (vents or not) as protecting it from the elements. They do prevent the bike being covered in sap (mind, so does not having to park near a tree!) but spiders are not afraid of the dark.
Thanks for the reply, it’s good to hear someone else who keeps their bike outside- I think you may be right about the trapping of moisture- I try to ensure the bikes dry before putting the cover over it so hopefully that helps, I guess I just hate the idea of it’s condition looking any worse as I like to keep it looking nice!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have kept mine outside under a cover for 4 years. Keeps off tree pollen and sap, bird droppings, etc., and prevents fading and aging of plastic/rubber due to sunlight. I find only an occasional insect under the cover.

Even though the cover has small vents, it stays very humid under the cover after a hard rain. Rust can form overnight on the chain if not completely covered in lube or wax. I have not had other problems with rust.

When I take the cover off, I place it with its outside surface down so its inside doesn't pick up grit. I have a fear of pulling a gritty cover over the motorcycle.

Reactions: Gabes

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I completely agree. My 500R has been outside nearly six years. All good. If you have a good quality cover that fits and vents well and you ride and maintain it regularly you've got nothing at all to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gabes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have kept mine outside under a cover for 4 years. Keeps off tree pollen and sap, bird droppings, etc., and prevents fading and aging of plastic/rubber due to sunlight. I find only an occasional insect under the cover.

Even though the cover has small vents, it stays very humid under the cover after a hard rain. Rust can form overnight on the chain if not completely covered in lube or wax. I have not had other problems with rust.

When I take the cover off, I place it with its outside surface down so its inside doesn't pick up grit. I have a fear of pulling a gritty cover over the motorcycle.
Thanks for your reply, not sure how well vented my cover is - it’s a high quality Oxford one which is meant to protect from everything so idk if it even has vents I’ll have to check. Aside from that out of interest - how often do you lube your chain? I feel like I do mine too often 😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, I’ve had my 2020 CBR500R a few months now and due to certain circumstances I’m having to keep it outside a whole lot more, most days now, it has a high quality cover on it but I’m worried about long lasting effects of it being outside. Anyone have any long term experience or thoughts? (Yes I know a garage is so much better and I wish that was an option) but without the choice is it okay or is my bike rapidly falling to piles of rust as many people seem to think? Side note - security where I live is not a worry.
Put the wife or girlfriend outside and the bike in your house females are waterproof

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aside from that out of interest - how often do you lube your chain? I feel like I do mine too often
There are endless forum threads on personal preferences in cleaning and lubing the chain.

O-ring chains used on our bikes have permanent internal grease for lubrication. What we apply is to keep the chain from rusting, and perhaps give the chain/sprocket interface a bit of lubrication.

I clean and "lube" the chain about every 500-600 miles per Honda manual. I use chain wax to coat the chain: it's not sticky when dry, doesn't wash off, doesn't pick up dirt and grit from the road.

My comment about the chain rusting under the cover is from one experience of not getting complete coverage of the chain with the wax - I was trying to use less than usual. Use a generous amount when storing outside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an annual ritual that starts in September. Once a week, I clean and dry the bike, then rub down all the metal bits (including the heads of all the bolts) with a rag soaked in light oil (blaster multi-max works well and doesn't smell too awful.). Wipe off the excess. By the end of October I won't really be thoroughly washing the bike again until Spring, save for the occasional de-gunking of the shifter or wiping down the plastics. Have ridden my 2015 through many Oregon winters. She looks great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts