Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per the title, I'm a little confused as to the actual size of the tank. I originally thought the combined total for the tank was 4.1 gallons, but after riding around and filling up a few times, I'm starting to think its actually 4.1 gallons until the reserve warning comes on, then another 0.9 gallons in reserve (total of 5.0 gallons).

When I filled my tank up earlier today, I used approximately 3.0 gallons to fill the tank completely. Before filling up the tank, I looked inside it with a small flashlight and it definitely looked like there was more than 1 gallon of fuel left in the tank. At the time, my bike had 1 bar left on the fuel gauge and the warning light did not show up yet. I read in the owner's manual that the LCD screen is supposed to change to a special mode that counts the percentage of gallons used in reserve in tenths (counts up from 0.0 up to 0.9, or until you run out, would be my guess).

I'm also not sure if my methodology is sound or not. According to the trip computer, I used 3.6 gallons when I filled up, the actual fill-up was 3.0 gallons with the bike off the side-stand and filled vertically.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
according to my calculations, cbr500r gets 15.5 liter of petrol so i do not think so it has a gallon more additional as reserve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just picked up 2014 cbr500ra couple weeks ago. and mine only took 2.9 gal at most to refuel. wonder if the reserve is 1.2 gallons?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The manual says the tank capacity is 4.15 US gallons, or 15.7 liters to the bottom of the filling neck. Reserve would be part of this number, not in addition to. Reserve is not a separate chamber or anything, simply a spot where the fuel gauge tells you that you have .74 gallons left, so you should refill soon. Just like on older bikes with a petcock...there are two tubes sticking up into the tank. The ON tube sticks up higher, so when you run out of fuel you switch to the RESERVE tube which sits lower in the tank where there is still some fuel. It still is just a reminder to fuel soon.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yes, its a 15.7L (4.15G) tank including a 2.8L (0.74G) reserve. Ive confirmed this (as have others) when filling as soon as the reserve light flashes: about 13L to fill it (and thus the reserve being 2.7L means a 15.7L total volume).

Dave

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
i just picked up 2014 cbr500ra couple weeks ago. and mine only took 2.9 gal at most to refuel. wonder if the reserve is 1.2 gallons?
The reserve is 0.74 G. If you filled it up with the bast bar flashing, then you didnt fill it up fully. Check the picture below. When upright the fuel should just lap over the front of the filler plate.

On the side stand that means fill it so the fuel is above the filler plate so that it comes up to just about covering over the filling hole in the centre - it'll be covering the filler plate up to the edge of the little curved hole/line/groove in the filler plate at the front of the tank.

Imagine a line from the edges of the curve holes/slits on the front and the side nearest you when filling that goes through the filling hole. Thats where you want it.

If you only fill it to touching the bar inside the filling hole you're 2L or so short - so that might be where your missing fuel is.

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just curious, is the fuel consumption display on the trip computer very accurate?
Just had my first fuel up and realized I filled up to the bar rather than the filler neck plate and I had the same experience as OP. I essentially want to keep track of my gas MPG while its new :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just curious, is the fuel consumption display on the trip computer very accurate?
Just had my first fuel up and realized I filled up to the bar rather than the filler neck plate and I had the same experience as OP. I essentially want to keep track of my gas MPG while its new :)
www.fuelly.com

You enter your odometer reading, the amount of gas you put in the tank, and how much you paid per gallon/litre. I always fill until it clicks off so I don't overfill and so it keeps a more accurate count.

There's an app too so you can quickly enter it after you're done. I use it for all 3 of my vehicle to track gas mileage.

·
Registered
296 Posts
No, there are threads that discuss it, but rider consensus seems to be that the fuel consumption/mileage meter is off by about 20%. As in, it will say you've used about 20% more fuel than you have or you are really getting about 20% better mileage than being shown.

To get an accurate mileage reading, just fill to the same spot every time and do the math: miles ridden divided by gallons pumped = mpg. But, don't forget to enjoy the ride in between. :smilecolour

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks! I've made a spreadsheet to track miles and fuel added. Just recently passed the break-in mileage and surprisingly my MPG from my 1st and 2nd fueling jumped from 45mpg to 107mpg! This is based off the mileage from the odometer against gas I filled at the pump. Seems too good to be true, but I'll take it :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
A little late here but figured I'd chime in anyways.

12k miles on my cb500 so far. The bike does think its using about 20% more fuel than it does.

The warning light comes on at approx .75 gallons. My warning light stopped working for about a month and when it started again it seems to come on sooner but maybe I am crazy.

The bike will start to starve with about .5 gallons left when you punch it. I believe it uses a submerged pump or something and it looses its prime as the gas sloshes.

TOTAL EFFECTIVE FUEL CAPACITY WHEN FILLED AS FULL AS IT WILL GO IS 4.26 GALLONS.

Confirmed by running out of gas. Then filling up. Your welcome.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Maybe that pump was rigged - you can't fill 4.26 gallons into a 4.15 gallon tank.

Don't know where you're at, you didn't fill that info in, maybe you're using different gallons. As if miles/mpg/km/liter wasn't complicated enough!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When the reserve starts flashing, and counting up from 0.0 in .1 increments, how far will it count up before empty, and how many litres per increment is it?
I'm on a UK Gallon, so litres would be universally more useful.

Having read through this thread and one other, I have at least discovered I'm not filling the tank fully. The first indicator disappearing after 3 miles is disheartening! :p

·
Registered
850 Posts
Shell 86 octane. Never tried anything else.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What grade of fuel are you guys putting in the tank? What is RON 91 equivalent to in Canada?
The manual calls for PON (Pump Octane Number) 86 or higher. The lowest PON they sell here is 87.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok. I found some time to do my own calculations based on the information here.

I get an average of 75mpg (UK) at the moment, which is 16.5 miles/litre

Wolpack1221 claims that the warning comes on with 0.75 gallons (presumed US), which would be 2.8 litres.
So based on my Average mpg (UK) I have 46 miles from the warning to empty.
If the warning counts up to 0.9, then each 0.1 increment is about 5 miles.

If I have 15 litres in the tank, I theoretically have a range of about 250 miles :)

I hope this is helpful to other people. It's nice to know how far you have to find a petrol station.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok. I found some time to do my own calculations based on the information here.

I get an average of 75mpg (UK) at the moment, which is 16.5 miles/litre

Wolpack1221 claims that the warning comes on with 0.75 gallons (presumed US), which would be 2.8 litres.
So based on my Average mpg (UK) I have 46 miles from the warning to empty.
If the warning counts up to 0.9, then each 0.1 increment is about 5 miles.

If I have 15 litres in the tank, I theoretically have a range of about 250 miles :)

I hope this is helpful to other people. It's nice to know how far you have to find a petrol station.
Too many factors to use this as a one-size-fits-all guide....
Rider weight, driving habits, external forces, load, tires, tire pressure, etc....

...but....at least you have an idea for yourself :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts