Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen another thread about reviews but there were lots of questions and it looked so cramped for me so i decided to open a thread about my experience. Maybe i fill that questionnaire later on.

It is now over three weeks with my bike and 13xx km.
I absolutely love it.
Great handling and balance for that price and enough power.

Enough torque to go from 1500 rpm to all the way up. It is accessible good power. Still, engine could be done to generate more power as 47 hp is less for me
It redlines at 9050 - 9100 rpm and makes 192 km indicated at 9050 rpm at 6th gear according to my calculations. I made an indicated 184 km two up and it showed 174.8 km at gps so the bike can do a maximum of 184 km gps again according to my calculations.
It runs great on highway. Power is everywhere when you need it and even with two up, climbing to 180 kmh is not that hard. I have not tested 0 - 100 m yet.
I commute with it in rush Bangkok traffic around 30 km - you cannot imagine how it is like:D - with my cbr500 everyday and i can do all the moves and acrobatics like i was doing with my cbr250. Really no compromises and no difference than riding a cbr250 in the city. But, i ride faster now between the cars and scissor easily:D
And, it actually feels lighter and smaller than a cbr250.
Brakes are great especially rear one, such a great bite it has. Front might be a little stronger for my taste but still more than OK.
Suspensions are tuned well. Bike behaves well on bumps and it is comfy at the same time. Shocks could be done a little bit harder but then you lose the comfort. For that price, i am really surprised for the balance and handling of the bike. it is pretty nimble and agile, turn ins are easy and bike can lean well Only a cm left on my tires untouched by asphalt:p
I got 20 km/l until now as i am doing a hard break in but i really ride hard:)
It is easy to get a 25km/l without pushing yourself too much.
No rattles no shakes so far.
Instrument cluster looks fine and it is readable even in harsh speeds. It shows speed, rev, fuel, current fuel consumption, average fuel consumption and fuel consumption of trip A - means can shows the total fuel consumption for the whole trip. And, once you turn the bike off, the white lights of it fade away slowly and nicely.
Bike is so silent nearly mute. It is getting dangerous in the traffic as other riders do not notice me. I am buying a Moriwaki pipe made in Japan from Honda Bigwing Bangkok as it si the only pipe you can install to cbr500 right now in this world apart from soem crappy pipes from Thai manufacturers. I have seen akrapovic is also doing one but no pics in their site. Moriwaki full system costs around 1000 usd but it looks really cool man.

Overall, i am a happy rider and i am having a blast everyday. cannot wait for the working hours finish to ride my bike:)
I will post my impression time by time with full objectivity as Honda is not my fathers company or i do not lie just because i own it so i will never hesitate to criticize the bike if needed. But so far only criticism like another owner said in our local forum in Thailand is: 'Not enough time to ride the bike:)'
thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thanks LL. Great report. Getting excited as the weeks pass by. Soon I will be riding mine. Nice to know it handles like the 250. Nice to see you on this forum ;)

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
so, lets post some criticism:
1- Mirrors star to shake after 1000 km. it is especially shaking a lot on neutral or while stopped. Still, they shake a little above 150 kmh and not that blurry.
2- ABS system is so conservative.
3- Mirrors are showing the sky if you want to change teh lane and they are too large for my taste. They show behind perfectly though.
4- I could not get a Manual in English, it is in Thai! They told me that they will give me one once they start exporting them to USA to you guys!
5- There is a little play on the throttle. I told them to fix it so it is better now.
6- Nuts connecting the tank to the chassis looking sooo ugly. Why they do not close it with a small plastic part? Fortunately, an aftermarket company in Thailand did an aluminum cover for it already- check 'Moth Racing'
7- Pipe sounds like a sewing machine but engine sound is fine. I will buy a Moriwaki pipe soon.
8- Front brakes have a nice feel and bite but they could be done stronger - yeah asking too much from a 6500 usd bike.
9- Engine gets hot instantly. Maybe good for cold climates but not that good for a hot tropical country like Thailand. The seat do not get teh heat but right part of the front fairing gets hot like it is going to melt.
10- Storage compartment could be a little bit bigger.
11- Some small misfits on fairings but you have to be a good observer to see these.
12- Current fuel usage indicator is slow and i do not think so that accurate. Average fuel consumption mostly indicates more fuel that i use - i tested it with full tank method.
13- Rev counter is hard to read at the beginning but OK after some time.
14- Chain does not look like a super quality one.

These are what i have noticed on the bike. But i am a super picky person. For some, these might be normal.
And, this is a 6500 USD bike.
Still, my overall experience is superb and these are just small things. Nothing is perfect in life.
I love my bike. I am having a blast everyday with it:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
LoserLazer

Do you think you could record some videos while riding? I love me some video. :D I'm mainly interested in range of the gears, torque or power running thru the gears, flickability(Is that a word?) Stuff like that. Thanks.

If not I'll have to wait till Vroom Vroom gets hers ;) Cuz I know she will post some up in here.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You bet I'll post some ride reports AND vids. Hopefully I won't have to wait 'till May like some of you. Won't be surprised though. Deja u from the 250 delay. Was supposed to have it March 2011 and I didn't take possession until mid- May. Grrrrrr!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think you could record some videos while riding? I love me some video. :D I'm mainly interested in range of the gears, torque or power running thru the gears, flickability(Is that a word?) Stuff like that. Thanks.

If not I'll have to wait till Vroom Vroom gets hers ;) Cuz I know she will post some up in here.
You cannot notice torque, flickability etc nicely from a video.
I will try to post some vids soon.
God bless patience for people needs to wait 2-3 more months!

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Hey LL where are the videos of the flickability of the honda cbr500!

·
Registered
3 Posts
thread is wothless without pics and vids! :D

Overall your riding impressions sound very well! Glad to hear more of it!

best regards, Martin

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, having a business trip nowadays. Away from my bike:(
Will post a video soon.
Just some photos for now i am sorry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this photo, my bike is on 1000 km service and they are doing a valve clearance inspection.
Honda is very strict about this bike as it is first rolled in Thailand. They check every part of my bike to help with QC.
So, i am a guinea pig here for you guys as they would like to see all the weak points and problems before exporting them to West;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Good report, LL. Thanks. Nice to have some comparison with the cbr250, as we have one in the stable now.
Thanks for the kpl data. There's none out there, so more is needed. The Honda UK gm (in the clip someone posted) mentioned 70 mpg, but he was clearly fudging. 58 mpg sounds pretty reasonable.
Hope the bike is still loads of fun.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
At this photo, my bike is on 1000 km service and they are doing a valve clearance inspection.
Honda is very strict about this bike as it is first rolled in Thailand. They check every part of my bike to help with QC.
So, i am a guinea pig here for you guys as they would like to see all the weak points and problems before exporting them to West;)
Thanks for contributing your report. I guess being a guinea pig is not bad if your cbr500 is getting pamper and making sure everything is in working order. Is that a mandatory service?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for contributing your report. I guess being a guinea pig is not bad if your cbr500 is getting pamper and making sure everything is in working order. Is that a mandatory service?
Yeah nsr devil. I like to be a guinea pig on a nice bike. But i am definitely a fast one.:D

All scheduled services are mandatory in Thailand. But yes they pamper me!

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:Dcbr500r is just over 4000 kmh.
bike has no problems so far, not even a glitch and seen 186 kmh indicated recently two up.
The only big problem for me are the shaking mirrors - only in neutral - and apart from that nothing.
it runs better now after break in period

Been on a race track last weekend to test limits of the bike fully. it is a very agile bike on the rack, easy to control, brakes were fine but my only problem were the low pegs and less communicative dunlop sportmax stock tires.
pretty good for a 6000 usd bike.

fuel consumption is still showing like 6.0 liters per 100 km on trip computer but my calculations nowadays are 5.2 to 5.3 liters per 100 km. still fine for my style of riding.
I am very happy with my bike.
I am still looking for an exhaust. Moriwaki pipe available right now in Honda shop is tempting but guys there said to me just wait a month more as more options will arrive from other brands.
I transferred the rear pegs, levers, brake caliper protector, oil cap and some other cosmetics from my cbr250 yesterday:D will post some photos tomorrow. It is good that cbr250 and 500 is similar but front pegs did not match unfortunately:(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts