Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
KTM Duke 390 and KTM RC390 Forum

This going to be the decision for me! Both quite different I guess but similar price and spec, both have things i want like ABS etc.
Duke is the 139kg single looks really nice, worries about build/reliability to compared to Honda.
Honda is about 40kg heavier and will be more suited to 2up riding.

Choices, which ever i decide on go to decide on colour and which 500 to go for ahhhhhh lol.

Thanks

Lee.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I too have the same shortlist (albiet cbr500x). The two points which worry me about the duke is firstly that it is a high compression single which for me leaves a question of long term reliability (probably unfounded). The second point is that with a tank size of only 11 Litres its range is only going to be a couple hundred kms at best. I'm yet to ride either, but im leaning towards the CB for those couple of reasons.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The Duke is far more dirt oriented and the x is an adventure styled bike.

I plan to buy an x to do some long distance touring. It has a bigger gas tank, adjustable screen, more suspension travel up front, and a roomier seat. It offers a center stand that will atleast fit the f and probably the r.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too have the same shortlist (albiet cbr500x). The two points which worry me about the duke is firstly that it is a high compression single which for me leaves a question of long term reliability (probably unfounded). The second point is that with a tank size of only 11 Litres its range is only going to be a couple hundred kms at best. I'm yet to ride either, but im leaning towards the CB for those couple of reasons.
I dont think these smaller dukes are as highly tuned as the larger 690, they are more relaxed, also the 390 is completely new not a bored out 200.
From what i have heard reliable and seen a few of the 125/200 go through winter and still look good.
Mine will be mainly a short commute to work duke be ideal, but not for longer or 2up on weekend doh!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Duke is far more dirt oriented and the x is an adventure styled bike.

I plan to buy an x to do some long distance touring. It has a bigger gas tank, adjustable screen, more suspension travel up front, and a roomier seat. It offers a center stand that will atleast fit the f and probably the r.
The Duke 390 is a street bike not an adventure bike, there is rumours there will be a 390 adventure to.
I like X to but seat height is a bit more and will never really do mega long trips either.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Duke 390 is a street bike not an adventure bike, there is rumours there will be a 390 adventure to.
I like X to but seat height is a bit more and will never really do mega long trips either.
There is a rumour that KTM are going to make a moto 3 version 390. If you're going for the sport bike look it may be better to wait and check that out.
The Duke is a bit young for me, in the sense it seems a bit extreme. if I was going for the naked bike look I'd probably go for the CB500F

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry! Was looking at the wrong picture. It appears to be more of a motard with under frame muffler/cat converter. According to KTM the seat height is 800mm (31.5 in) vs 810 mm (31.9) for the x. Depending on the shape of the seats that's not much difference. Ground clearance is 170 mm (6.9 in).

I hope you like thumpers!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry! Was looking at the wrong picture. It appears to be more of a motard with under frame muffler/cat converter. According to KTM the seat height is 800mm (31.5 in) vs 810 mm (31.9) for the x. Depending on the shape of the seats that's not much difference. Ground clearance is 170 mm (6.9 in).

I hope you like thumpers!
No worries I was a bit sharp in my response, yea guess it is more of a super motard styled bike. It does very much also depend on the width of the seat to as have had bikes where on paper to high but fine to ride.

hehe a single is probably all i need 80& of the time but do like the twins to, had the older honda cb500 and it seemed perfect in between a v twin and a four.
I suspect I will need a test ride of both and see them up close for real. Hondas are out now apart from x, duke not coming until June!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I too was tempted by the KTM390. However, it's physically too small and I believe that the Honda is the better buy in the long run. And, it's more my style anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im glad I went Honda just for that more big bike feel and a twin versus single. On some days especially commuting I bet the KTM is a hoot!
I bet now to the 390 has better service valve intervals than the 500, as usually ktms 690 singles require a valve check at first service and I think annually after that's one thing what always turned me off them, but expect this new single is different, Ironically the 500 has a high first service cost about same as my Ducati 748s in 2003!

·
Registered
246 Posts
The KTM looks really cool (I like naked bikes and have a CB500F), but I didn't like the sound of it. I'm guessing it's a matter of taste.

·
Registered
938 Posts
i liked the 390 a lot, but like the 690 much better, though the seat is a bit high for me :( and the sound is ok, they are singles, so i reckon that's the way they sound...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Those guys at MCN didn't seem to think much of the Ninja 300 compared to the KTM and CBR.
Sounds like they thought the KTM Duke was the most fun to to ride, The CBR 500 was the best bike overall and the Ninja 300 was the worst overall and a bike you would get bored with very quickly.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Quite honestly, I would have bought the duke if I didn't already buy the CBR500ra a few weeks back.
Weight 150KG wet and only 8 less BHP, and it looks so aggressive!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Twenty years ago I would've definitely gone for the sexy, orange trellis-framed KTM. I wouldn't worry about quality issues, and it's a European exotic!
But by now I'd go for something more "mature". The Honda has a smooth twin and is not that flashy. I'd get service anywhere and here in Thailand the Honda is cheaper than the 390 - if we get it, that is.

Reactions: Dirvo85

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Twenty years ago I would've definitely gone for the sexy, orange trellis-framed KTM. I wouldn't worry about quality issues, and it's a European exotic!
But by now I'd go for something more "mature". The Honda has a smooth twin and is not that flashy. I'd get service anywhere and here in Thailand the Honda is cheaper than the 390 - if we get it, that is.
duke 390 is an Indian exotic thump. it is designed and made in India.
thailand does not offer the same quality as a made in japan honda but sure thai products have better quality than Indian ones.

·
Registered
582 Posts
duke 390 is an Indian exotic thump. it is designed and made in India.
thailand does not offer the same quality as a made in japan honda but sure thai products have better quality than Indian ones.
Actually, Thailand offers very high quality.

Remember, it's not the Thai making sure anything made for a foreign company is made correctly, but people from the foreign company.

A guy I know worked for GM for years, and he said the GMs made here Thailand) were 'better' than those made in the US. I did mention that GMs still suck, so it's a moot point, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Actually, Thailand offers very high quality.

Remember, it's not the Thai making sure anything made for a foreign company is made correctly, but people from the foreign company.

A guy I know worked for GM for years, and he said the GMs made here Thailand) were 'better' than those made in the US. I did mention that GMs still suck, so it's a moot point, but you get the idea.
I just want to confirm that US GMs suck. :D

1 - 20 of 92 Posts