Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys!!

@phenom - it's definitely a great bike! be ready to pay full robber's .. ooops I mean dealer's price because the R is hard to find.
@mcote - yeah .. i said the same thing when i first looked at it .. i even considered going with Daytona .. but slowly i get used to the buggy eyes .. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Maybe I need to go see one in person. I've seen the Daytona on the road I love them. I've not see the street triple except on the web.

·
Registered
7 Posts
cbr500r vs. ninja650

Rowan - Thanks! I plan to test ride both. I am gathering all facts, reviews, opinions beforehand, so I can make the purchase right after test ride.

If the price difference is 2K, I would go with the 500R. For US buyers, the price difference is relatively small (less than $1K) to go from a 47-hp to a 72-hp engine. That's 53% hp increase for 15% price increase!!

Obviously, as many riders have pointed out, there many other considerations besides mere horsepower, such as: build quality, fuel consumption, handling, ongoing cost --- which from what I gathered, the 500R kicks ass in all counts :)

All facts considered, still leaning toward 500R ... will update my sentiment after test riding both.
go with the 500r. I came from a sv1000s and had all kind of power,first I said ,what? what did I just do!!!
ill tell you I been loving it as the miles get up there.80 mpg the way I ride easy that's 300 a tank,i got half that on the sv,and I enjoy more of the ride now.back roads are really great and since I put the clip ons from mopth racing,well the highway is even more better and its more streamlined now,i just need to go up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket as soon as one becomes [email protected];)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe I need to go see one in person. I've seen the Daytona on the road I love them. I've not see the street triple except on the web.
WARNING: If you ride it, you will want it....!! It's as simple as that ... :D

Daytona is sick!!!! If your back and shoulder can take it and you like the extra speed (+20-hp from the Street), go for it! And the sound of it is so intoxicating ... Street's sound is great!! but I admit, I like Daytona's better. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
WARNING: If you ride it, you will want it....!! It's as simple as that ... :D

Daytona is sick!!!! If your back and shoulder can take it and you like the extra speed (+20-hp from the Street), go for it! And the sound of it is so intoxicating ... Street's sound is great!! but I admit, I like Daytona's better. :rolleyes:
First bike?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just came off a 2012 650R. Nice bike but I felt it was no where near as refined as an 07 EX500 that I rode for a couple of years. I didn't like the fact that it cooked my right foot (and the engine oil) and the gas tank was too **** small with barely a 200 mile range. The finish on the bike (quality of welds etc) kinda bugged me so it had to go. I'm hoping the Honda better suits me and my tastes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really, you liked the '07 Ninja 500 better than the '12 Ninja 650? Quite a few people have had the opposite opinion, at least when the '06+ Ninja 650 came out. I haven't rode either one of them yet, however I wouldn't mind finding a Ninja 500/EX500 to replace my Ninja 250. Of course the Ninja 650 would be fine too, except for the smaller fuel tank and range as noted above.
Tony

·
Registered
157 Posts
bit late on this but first. (Keyser)congrats on the Triple R. Just LOVE the sound of that bike. I played utubes of that bike over and over just to hear the engine.

a bit of news for me. (as you may be able to tell from my sig) But in mid October i traded in my (new in May 2013) Ninja 650abs. The bike was fun to ride but that knee bend was too much for my old bones.

And as i posted way up there...if the Versys was available with abs i would have got that. Well.... turns out the 2014 650 versys does have abs. So i went for that. It will be delivered to home tomorrow (nov22) morning. Bike wasnt expected until December so nice to get it early.

Normally would ride it home but glad i had the forsight to arrange things in October. As the weather around here in Dec not all that great for riding. Would not like to have had to ride Ninja to and Versys back from dealer now. (4c with -3c nights)

Things turned out pretty well. got a great price on the trade. (new $7999, trade $7299) I also get a free extra year of warranty (1y factory + 1y good times protection) I could have had the bike 2wks ago but was waiting on some parts. Engine guards / Givi box / slider spools.

a pic i took when dealer told me my bike was in (Nov08 but still waiting on one part which was on its way) ...got phone call on Wed that parts in and installed. so we arranged Friday delivery

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
i traded in my (new in May 2013) Ninja 650abs. The bike was fun to ride but that knee bend was too much for my old bones.
Yeah really weird ergos on the N650: very upright siting position (way more than the 500R), but with far far more bent knees (even more so than the CBR250R!).

Dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah really weird ergos on the N650: very upright siting position (way more than the 500R), but with far far more bent knees (even more so than the CBR250R!).

Dave
yes. agree. tho according to the motorcycle ergo site the knee bend was same as the cbr250. but it made for a not so comfy ride with the more upright ergo.

so i am very happy to now have the versys. now just need some warmer weather.
this was delivered yesterday (fri nov 22)

·
Registered
14 Posts
bit late on this but first. (Keyser)congrats on the Triple R. Just LOVE the sound of that bike. I played utubes of that bike over and over just to hear the engine.
Thank you, whiteknuckle. Sorry, I've been away from this forum, but I check back from time to time. People in this forum is the nicest!! :thumbsup

Yes .. I love the sound too. That's one of the reasons I fell in love with it!

Good luck and have fun with your Versys!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
lol. i think i am sick...need help. even tho i have barely ridden the Versys since i got it. (only 20km on odo now) I been reading and looking at Utubes of the Yamaha FZ09 and i am actually considering trading for it. Would wait until mid to late summer to decide tho.
So far this winter it been just too cold and icy to ride. This winter just seems to be lasting forever. Tho probably seems longer with a new bike rotting in the parking garage.

I had a sit on the Yamaha FZ09 when i was at the Yammy dealer while waiting for a givi case to be installed on the BWS125. It sure felt nice. good ergo and so light. I guess the 2 things that may turn me away is no abs (tho not so much a deal killer) and insurance. The FZ09 would bump me into the next insurance bracket (>750cc) so would have to see how much more $$ it would be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a quick note. I currently ride a 2013 cb500X. I've owned a Ninja 650.

If commuting is the majority of your riding. Go for the Honda. I get 65-80 mpg (depending on the Octane of the fuel and my mood). The Kawi never did better than 45mpg and had a smaller tank. It was a lot faster and had better brakes. It also cranked out a ton more heat especially on the right side. You will melt in traffic on a summer day. Not so with Honda. Both are very user friendly for newer riders. I've never owned an ABS bike so no help there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to share a few experiences. The past couple of weeks, on my days off, I've rode to between 100 to 240 miles both ways to dealerships. Not intending on trading in really but just... well I guess nothing to do plus see what kind of deals they offer. One in particular gave me a good deal on a Ninja 650, already hard to pass up but I walked away. Before I left, they countered, if you get it today, we can sweeten the pot even more. We can better the original offer, go as low as this out the door. Hmmm, I'll go home and think about. "But wait there's more". What price (realistic of course) are you thinking off, we will try to get you to leave on that N650? Enticed but still walked away. Can't seem to part with '13 500R. Although, I admit, I still think of that N650 but keeping the 500R always seems to come on top.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If I ever bought a Ninja I would instantly remove anything on it that said Ninja..... worst name for a bike I have ever heard, I would be embarrassed riding it. An American came up with the name I believe.

Mike Vaughn. And yes, American.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
What have y'all got against assassins?

>:)

41 - 60 of 64 Posts