Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes they also both raced in Daytona in the 500 superbike race on Sunday with Dustin Apgar taking first and Cameron jones second both on jones Honda Cbr 500s

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice to see, good job.

We will be fielding a cbr500 in the Canadian National Series (CSBK) Am Lightweight division. First race is at Shannonville, ON May 18/19 weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice to see, good job.

We will be fielding a cbr500 in the Canadian National Series (CSBK) Am Lightweight division. First race is at Shannonville, ON May 18/19 weekend.
Do you need any ECU support for that bike? I am an approved vendor with FIM/MotoAmerica and the only vendor right now authorized to provide CBR500R ECU software for the MotoAmerica Junior Cup class. I can probably get approved by CSBK if that is required.

https://www.facebook.com/MCUInnovations
https://mcuinnovations.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you need any ECU support for that bike? I am an approved vendor with FIM/MotoAmerica and the only vendor right now authorized to provide CBR500R ECU software for the MotoAmerica Junior Cup class. I can probably get approved by CSBK if that is required.

https://www.facebook.com/MCUInnovations
https://mcuinnovations.com
I don't know if it would be worth the effort for you. I think we are one of two teams running this bike in CSBK.

We were told by a couple tuners up here that it was impossible to flash the ecu on this bike. We only found out about you, after we had purchased the Dynojet stuff.

But thanks, we'll definitely keep you in mind if we decide to run a round down there, Maybe Pittsburgh?

Just to let you know the rules are : stock air filter and fuel injection system with max 45rwhp and min. 360lbs.

We had a well known tuner set up map for us and it came in at 44.32. He said that he probably could gone a bit further, but did't want to risk going over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if it would be worth the effort for you. I think we are one of two teams running this bike in CSBK.

We were told by a couple tuners up here that it was impossible to flash the ecu on this bike. We only found out about you, after we had purchased the Dynojet stuff.

But thanks, we'll definitely keep you in mind if we decide to run a round down there, Maybe Pittsburgh?

Just to let you know the rules are : stock air filter and fuel injection system with max 45rwhp and min. 360lbs.

We had a well known tuner set up map for us and it came in at 44.32. He said that he probably could gone a bit further, but did't want to risk going over.
haha, the ECU cant be tuned :D.... I looked up the rules for your class after I posted. I saw the 45hp limit... pretty lame. How do they enforce that? In the electronics section is says you have to use OEM electronics, but it doesn't say you can't tune the OEM electronics. An ECU flash kit might still be worth it at this point, you can raise the rpm limit, disable the top speed / 6th gear limiters, mess with engine braking. I am working on disabling the decel fuel cut, o2 sensors, evap canister, all sorts of other stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
haha, the ECU cant be tuned :D.... I looked up the rules for your class after I posted. I saw the 45hp limit... pretty lame. How do they enforce that? In the electronics section is says you have to use OEM electronics, but it doesn't say you can't tune the OEM electronics. An ECU flash kit might still be worth it at this point, you can raise the rpm limit, disable the top speed / 6th gear limiters, mess with engine braking. I am working on disabling the decel fuel cut, o2 sensors, evap canister, all sorts of other stuff.
After qualifying all bikes go to dyno and get weighed. After race, top 5 go to dyno and scales. Its pretty strict, they caught couple built r3's last season. Not sure if they were using map switch or what.....I really see no reason to cheat.

The kid won the regional championships last year on a stock engine 300, against guys on built r3's and was regulary beating some of the 400 riders. The good guys on 400's really didn't show up till the end of the season.

You are right, some people flash their ecu's, it is allowed.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steveo - i haven't checked the CSBK regulation yet, but with the 45 hp limit I'd probably concentrate on getting as much torque as possible and maximise the area under the curve.
If you haven't checked yet, the 2019 cams could be great improvement (intake has a bit more lift, and both are timed different than earlier bikes) - providing more torque still within the 45rwhp limit. Would worth the 100USD what the pair costs.
Do you have an inhouse dyno for developments?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Steveo - i haven't checked the CSBK regulation yet, but with the 45 hp limit I'd probably concentrate on getting as much torque as possible and maximise the area under the curve.
If you haven't checked yet, the 2019 cams could be great improvement (intake has a bit more lift, and both are timed different than earlier bikes) - providing more torque still within the 45rwhp limit. Would worth the 100USD what the pair costs.
Do you have an inhouse dyno for developments?
No, it's not our dyno. The tuner is actually a crew cheif for one of the pro superbike teams. The shop is just up the road from us.

Haven't thought too much about doing engine work...slipper clutch would be nice, but not in the budget quite yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 19 cams are really an easy install, not more difficult than a valve check. They're advanced the intake so it adds some real good grunt down low and easy to retrofit to older bikes. With a fuel controller or ecu flash you can dial the bike in safely to sub- 45 whp, bit still have a long fat torque curve.
Unfortunately the assist and slipper clutch from the 19 models cannot be retrofitted to earlier bikes as the gears been rearranged and the counter shaft end is different too. I know only of STM making a slipper for the 500r - sold only through Ten Kate for about 830 eurs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is fascinating stuff. I will be in Shannonville for the weekend to see the practices and racing. I hope to be able to find you and chat for a few minutes!
Great, bike number is 901, Rider's name is Matthew Simpson.

I think we will have a Blackstock Motorsports canopy. Or look for the Campbell Roofing canopies. Drop by and say hi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you guys restricted to 9500rpm? If not, can degree the cams to see up to 10300-10500rpm tops. I wouldn't push beyond that by any means. Would allow you to run shorter gearing with the same top speed, shorter gearing = lower dyno numbers ;) I would set rpm to around 10k. That is what we are governed to for Motoamerica. We have our stock cams degree'd to target 10k and I'm extremely happy with on track rideability. Instead of the bike falling off on power around 8500 you move the power to the right 1000rpm.

Ditch the pcv, I used both PCV and rapid bike. Have been much happier with results on my flash setup.
Let me know if you have any questions, suspension setup is extremely critical to make the bike handle properly. If the rules allow, run an adjustable heim to replace the linkage, if they do not allow linkage change, get an extended heim for the bottom of the shock instead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you guys restricted to 9500rpm? If not, can degree the cams to see up to 10300-10500rpm tops. I wouldn't push beyond that by any means. Would allow you to run shorter gearing with the same top speed, shorter gearing = lower dyno numbers ;) I would set rpm to around 10k. That is what we are governed to for Motoamerica. We have our stock cams degree'd to target 10k and I'm extremely happy with on track rideability. Instead of the bike falling off on power around 8500 you move the power to the right 1000rpm.

Ditch the pcv, I used both PCV and rapid bike. Have been much happier with results on my flash setup.
Let me know if you have any questions, suspension setup is extremely critical to make the bike handle properly. If the rules allow, run an adjustable heim to replace the linkage, if they do not allow linkage change, get an extended heim for the bottom of the shock instead.
Good job at Daytona Cameron!! Wishing you all the best for MA season. We will definitely look into your suggestions. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts