Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

CBR500 vs Ninja 300

114K views 114 replies 59 participants last post by  Thump 
#1 ·
Why are you choosing the CBR500 over the Ninja 300?

Price? Power? Weight? Torque? Handling? Styling?

I am curious because I was very interested in the Ninja 300 until I came across the CBR500. I just find the CBR500 to be a great value. Good power at a low price along with Honda reliability.

To me the CBR500 is a better value over the Ninja 300. The CBR500 also has a decent amount more torque and likely won't need you to rev the engine so high to get it moving.

#2 ·
First, Honda reliability, second my son in law is the GM of Powerhouse and I get a deal. The Kawa is 300cc and lighter weight. The 500r is approx 428lbs and 500cc, both 2 cylinders. The lighter weight of the Kawa is a pro if taken to the track but the heavier weight of the 500r with fairings is more appealable on the highway and unpredictable winds. Both look great. Both are fuel injected. The cbr has more of a narrow body. I wld think in the end it is a matter of choice. Torque and cc is close when factoring in weight ratio. I prefer a heavier wind resistant bike. I've done the light weight bike and it certainly has its pluses. However, on the highway riding with bigger cc bikes I had to wring the neck of my 250 constantly. Grew tiresome. For commuting it was great. For longer hauls it was a chore. I imagine the Kawa will be similar, more torquey but, for long regular long hauls will be tiresome. The CBR 500r will meet riders needs for bike size (big dudes) and the highway cruising with comfort.

#3 ·
I was also considering the kawi ninja 300 at one point but was worried that i would be used to the 300cc And get bored real fast. The cbr500 is something in between the 250cc range and a supersport. The highway speeds with the weight of the cbr500 helps quite a bit. Rather than a ninja 300 struggling to keepup with traffic. I already find myself letti g bigger trucks by on my cbr250. So a 50cc upgrade is not much at all. The new honda chassis is more narrower and more ergonmic for the body. Although i wouldnt mind having the ninja 300 to track around with on the weekend.

#4 ·
To be honest I just like the looks of the Honda CB500F. And the Ninja 300 isn't available in the US naked (yet).

But the more I dig into the 500 the more I realize that buying a new model bike has some downsides.

Like:

1) Insurance - Alot of insurers don't have these motorcycles in their system, so they are giving you a quote on the bike based on the CC of the motor. The state farm quote I got for a 500F yesterday was double the quote for a Ninja 300 all other information was exactly the same. I'd expect these quotes to get adjusted after the bikes have been released to be more in line with the Ninja pricing...but your SOL if you buy before that stuffs been updated in the system.

2) Parts - There aren't alot of aftermarket parts that are going to be available off the bat. So if your looking to add on a specific mod or something you could be waiting for a while. And most electronic parts will probably take longer to come out if honda uses different connectors/placements than say on the 250 or 600.

3) Waiting - The dealer told me it was going to be 30-60 days before they got a single CB500 in stock and he didn't know when the next shipment would arrive. That would mean April is the earliest you'd be able to get one if your lucky enough to grab it before someone slaps down a deposit on it. Waiting longer would put you further into riding season.

4) Financing/Offers - Kawasaki's offering at least 3.99/apr on the 300, honda on the other hand isn't offering any financing or cash back offers like they have with the 250's and other bikes. Seems strange to me, maybe they'll update after they release the bikes.

From a practicality standpoint and my desire to get out and riding as soon as possible I'm leaning towards a Ninja 300 at the moment. The 500F is the bike I feel would suit me best, but we all have to make compromises at times.

#5 ·
Honda is offering cash back on the 500. I received this offer in the mail couple weeks back. It's a $250.00 loyalty coupon for cbr250r owners towards the 500. This coupon can also be used with other offers/sales/promotions.

The release issues we are facing are the same as what many of us went through with the 250 in 2011. Powerhouse gets priority then the independent dealerships. It does pay to have placed a deposit to secure the bike. It's a pain but, if one is patient, the pay off will be worth it.

#6 ·
Honda is offering cash back on the 500. I received this offer in the mail couple weeks back. It's a $250.00 loyalty coupon for cbr250r owners towards the 500. This coupon can also be used with other offers/sales/promotions.

The release issues we are facing are the same as what many of us went through with the 250 in 2011. Powerhouse gets priority then the independent dealerships. It does pay to have placed a deposit to secure the bike. It's a pain but, if one is patient, the pay off will be worth it.

Lol makes me wish I had a 250. Oh well, if honda wants a new LOYAL customer they can send me some mail too ;)

#7 ·
Thats great Ive never bought a honda motorcycle brand new. So i guess this wont be applying to me. but only after this purchase will i be in the loyal customer category. It;s strange how they dont have any incentives on the CBR500. It would help bring in more sales no.

#11 ·
Cbr500

I am going with the CBR because I think it will be solid commuter bike. I have a 45 mile commute which is all highways. My first bike was a Ninja 650R and my second bike was a GS500F. I liked both bikes, but hated the fact that the GS was carbureted. It was a pain to start on cold days especially after sitting eight hours in the cold. The Ninja 650R was solid all around, but looking for a cheaper option since I will be riding year round including in rain. I like the looks of the Ninja 300 and have no beef with Kawasaki, but I think the extra 200 ccs give the Honda the advantage. The challenge I have with buying another Ninja 650R is the price is not that far from a super sport bike. In other words I would add the extra money and get a super sport before buying a new 650R. Since my current need is a commuter bike there is no need for the power of a super sport bike.

#12 ·
Coming from a 250cc I find it better if i move on a something with more than just a 50cc upgrade. I have gotten use to the cbr250 riding everyday to work and occasional long trips though tight and windy roads. I want something with just a bit more horsepower and little more wight. Yes i said it! When I riding on the freeways I feel as if I dont have enough weight to keep the momentum going to move faster. Its pretty light and i have to let cars past.

#14 ·
I own a CBR250 and have 6k on it. It really does need a little bit more than you probably have the perfect do it all bike. I think the bike just needs another 100cc and it might be the last upgrade of a bike most people need unless you really go long distances. For me the low weight in Seattle traffic is a hugh plus along with its nimble size. I feel for most people a Ninja 300 that has a lot left after 80 mph should be plenty unless you dont like to have your bike rev high all the time.

#16 ·
I want more pull at 100kph for over taking and up through the hills. Power to weight makes less of an important difference then: it comes down to raw HP. The higher torque and lower reviving required on the 500 to develop its HP are also appealing. So the 500 it is :)

Dave

Reactions: 3Cheers
#17 ·
Good power, but not supersport power which I wouldn't want for the street anyway. Moved up from an '06 Ninja 250r, so I wanted a tangible increase in power, but not like an additional 100HP to deal with all the time. Good, manageable horsepower and torque with very ample acceleration for city and highway speeds. Torque available at lower RPMs than the Ninja 300 and more at the higher end. More comfortable to ride around town in 5th/6th gear for those long, ultra-eco cruising roads.

Styling is (subjective) cleaner and a bit more tidy than the Ninja 300. Not that I think the Ninja 300 looks bad, its definitely a solid design, I just prefer the CBR500R looks. Slightly longer, more angular tail. Less sharp curves, smoother, cleaner bodywork. Rear brake light and tail reflectors better integrated and hidden in the body. Fit and finish feels and overall looks superior.

If we're comparing the Ninja 300 ABS to CBR500R ABS, price differential of 1,000 dollars. I find the value of the CBR500R to be stronger consider the additional horsepower and torque you're getting from the 471cc engine, while still getting very comparable gas mileage. To me, feels like a minimal difference in price for a substantially lot more bike. Bigger, but not supersport big and still practical for daily riding.

#18 ·
Good power, but not supersport power which I wouldn't want for the street anyway. Moved up from an '06 Ninja 250r, so I wanted a tangible increase in power, but not like an additional 100HP to deal with all the time. Good, manageable horsepower and torque with very ample acceleration for city and highway speeds. Torque available at lower RPMs than the Ninja 300 and more at the higher end. More comfortable to ride around town in 5th/6th gear for those long, ultra-eco cruising roads.

Styling is (subjective) cleaner and a bit more tidy than the Ninja 300. Not that I think the Ninja 300 looks bad, its definitely a solid design, I just prefer the CBR500R looks. Slightly longer, more angular tail. Less sharp curves, smoother, cleaner bodywork. Rear brake light and tail reflectors better integrated and hidden in the body. Fit and finish feels and overall looks superior.

If we're comparing the Ninja 300 ABS to CBR500R ABS, price differential of 1,000 dollars. I find the value of the CBR500R to be stronger consider the additional horsepower and torque you're getting from the 471cc engine, while still getting very comparable gas mileage. To me, feels like a minimal difference in price for a substantially lot more bike. Bigger, but not supersport big and still practical for daily riding
Total agree with you here, looks are totally subjective, but you can't argue that for an extra $1000 you're getting a lot more bike in my opinion.

#27 ·
Hi guys, newby on forums here.

I was waiting for the CBR500r since november. Just because i wanted a daily commuter with great mpg. Communicating with dealers in California was not good at all. Even now nobody has straight info or facts about the CBR500's.

Placed a deposit and since it never arrived in april, I gave up and found a used ninja 300 for a good deal and bought it. I've driven different bikes over the years so I like em all. Each has pros and cons.

Reason I got the 300:

1) Insurance is about the same as a 250
2) Maintenance is easier and more economic
3) Slipper clutch included and ability to use 87 octane.
4) lighter than 500.
4) Already came with exhaust system which supposively gives it about 40 hp.
5) I bought it used for cheap.

I have a 08 CBR600rr and the ninja 300. At one point i had the ninja 250 too before i sold it. Ninja 300 blew my expectations, way better than the 250. Plenty of hp and torque and really fun to ride. So i'm happy with it. I'm actually thinking of selling my cbr since i love riding the 300 more and gives me excellent mpg.

When the 500 finally arrived at the dealer, I went and there's still no definite info on hp, torque, or mpg. I talked to 2 sales guys and I new more than them! One said at first that it had 47 hp. I asked if it was Honda spec and he said it was based off a website because honda doesnt have specs yet.

I like the looks of both, ergos are fine on either one. At the end the 300 was the best deal for me. I would just like to test drive one to compare to see if its worth the extra money.

#29 ·
I talked to 2 sales guys and I new more than them!
As is often the case! How can you happily put down a deposit on a motorcycle when those goofballs on the showroom floor know less than the average person who is interested in the bike? Sales people are in the dealership all day but don't even open a bike magazine that's sitting on the glass table to get some information.
I asked a Harley/Kawasaki salesperson about the difference of the angle of the V-twins and he insisted they both were 90 degrees; also he tried to tell me that the Sportster makes 100 horses. I asked him if he could point out the turbo.
Often these people don't know the basics about bikes and it really turns me off. If I buy a washing machine or a TV set I don't care much but when it comes to motorcycles I want to talk to someone who has at least a clue.
Sorry to deviate from the topic but I had to vent...

Reactions: loloyd
#28 ·
Of course the 471cc Honda has more power and is quicker, but that's only a small part of the story. For many people a 35 hp bike that is lighter and nimbler and handles like a 250 is the better bike. And then there's the price difference; if a cheaper bike with a smaller engine comes close to a bigger and more expensive one it may be the better deal.
We don't get the Ninja 300 here, I wonder what the sticker price is in countries where both bikes are available and how much it is to insure.

#32 · (Edited)
The ninja 300 is a very good looking machine, some build quality issues are cropping up though (fairing coming loose and stalling all the time)
The bike has 39hp at the crank and 35hp at the wheel so the above posters are both right in a way.
I was torn between the two for my next bike, I just think the 500 has a little more in every department
Torque, Power, top speed and build quality and that little bit extra won out for me. Still, I think the 300 is a nice bike and you certainly can't blame someone for choosing one as it looks the business.

#33 · (Edited)
^ Frankly I'm getting tired of riders who measure bikes in how many hp they have and how fast they go. What are they doing on this site? You're welcome to all the information and have a look around, there are lots of people who don't care about record-breaking numbers of power and speed and have a different take on motorcycling. You find a Ninja 300 boring? Well I find reading about the latest super-light, super-fast, super-super-bikes boring.
But I don't go to those sites and tell them that.

Edit: forgot to quote. This was a response to an earlier post:
"...no, it's not.
It's a great moped with a sporty fairing and caps where the pedals should be.

sorry but 35hp peak at 13k and 20ft-lbs of torque and only one front disc in a bike that weighs almost as much as a zx-10R does not a "great motorcycle" make. 16sec quarters and 6sec 0-60mph does not a "great motorcycle" make. It makes for a great moped.

I expect the 500 twins will perform sub-13 and sub-5sec, with perhaps 50mpg overall. Making the hubba-hubba vibration off idle at least somewhat tolerable."

#36 ·
Well... HP is important. A wimpy bike is boring. A powerful bike is fun and exciting.
We all want to have fun.
Most of us have no desire to "race", so we don't need 150hp land-missiles.
:D
So in that respect, I would agree with ya.
Depends on your definition of fun! If you have the need for speed then of course a CBR250 would be boring. Too many people believe that bikes can only be fun when they go like a rocket. I've been there, I had a ZX9R hich was the fastest bike on the road at the time. But when bought my first enduro, just because it was a good deal, I realized that I was smiling much more than on my rice rocket. For me, enduros have a much higher fun factor than any other kind of bike I've ridden. Since they need to be light I don't mind if it has only 250cc. Lots of fun to be had under 100 km/h!

#35 ·
I ride a wimpy low HP bike but its fun as ****. Its so much fun in the handling that I probably will never part with it, I am just looking for a 2nd bike for those long distance trips like 5 hrs or more.
I'll probably get the CBR500R, My cbr250 is my first Honda bike and Honda has impressed me in every way with how its was made to the quality.

#39 ·
Thanks for posting.
Generally an excellent magazine, but they seem confused about what they want in a motorcycle, and they have also let some inexplicable expectations get in the way of an objective and thorough assessment. I might re-read the article, but probably not.

#41 ·
I enjoyed the article.
Looks like they prefer bikes that are lighter and rev to the moon.
So naturally the CBR500R would confuse them. It has way more power, less revs, and a little more weight.
They thought the "styling" was better on the Ninja300 ???
What are they smoking! That must be a joke.
They also didn't like the larger tires on the Honda? Ridiculous. I like the larger tires.
I also prefer the ergos on the Honda.
If I wanted a cramped, "stretched-out over the tank" riding position, I would just buy a 600RR.
The Honda is $1,000 more than the Kawi300. You get more bike for your money with the Honda. That much is obvious.
The ONLY negative thing I could say about the CBR500R is: yeah... it needs 60 horsepower, and more revs.
SO, as soon as a company comes out with a hot ECU that pumps-up the injectors and the timing, combined with a racing exhaust system and 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket, the Honda CBR500R will be KING.

I know there is 10 more HP in these engines. I also know these engines can rev harder. These are DETUNED machines! Let's uncork these bad-dogz and let `em RIP!

Put these reviewers on a Junior CUP 500 bike, and I bet they would be singing a different tune. There is untapped potential in these bikes, in their stock form.

#78 ·
the only
thing I could say about the CBR500R is: yeah... it needs 60 horsepower, and more revs.
SO, as soon as a company comes out with a hot ECU that pumps-up the injectors and the timing, combined with a racing exhaust system and 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket, the Honda CBR500R will be KING.

I know there is 10 more HP in these engines. I also know these engines can rev harder. These are DETUNED machines! Let's uncork these bad-dogz and let `em RIP!

Put these reviewers on a Junior CUP 500 bike, and I bet they would be singing a different tune. There is untapped potential in these bikes, in their stock form.
I like this idea...but how costly would it be? Is this even possible?
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.