Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forums. Just got a CBR500R. I ready like the engine and how the bike runs/rides. Very happy with the purchase. :)
Looking over the bike I noticed in the rear wheel-well a small cut out with sponge in it. Does anyone know why its there? Can it be covered with tape or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Welcome!

Photos?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I can't see any cutout with a sponge in it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That shiny bit is where the cutout is located. Its hard to see in that picture. I will see if I can get a brighter image.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the rear wheel-well, that is much brighter. I have black tape covering the sponge but you should be able to see the indent and tape in this picture. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is it a crack or a factory drilled hole? Maybe the sponge you see is from one of the seats and the hole is a drainage for the backtray for water to drain in case of rain?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not a crack or a drill hole. It maybe for drainage possibly. I should take the tape off and put up a correct image of it. I may be able to do that tonight.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi and welcome..

yep please put another image of it - meantime will check under mine and see also!

·
Registered
505 Posts
What does it matter? Much ado about nothing! Just ride it!!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I imagine the worry is how much water this sponge will take on thus slowing down the rider!! lol

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Under the rider seat, there are two holes, one in front of and one behind the battery. I'm assuming the holes are for ensuring adequate drainage of rain/wash water from the battery area. The rear hole opens to the wheel well, so it appears that the sponge is there to prevent water from splashing back up into that hole and into the battery area. You might want to remove the seat just to check that the entire adhesive surface of the sponge is stuck to the plastic wall of that hole/channel; mine was only partially stuck there.

Reactions: NFTEN
1 - 13 of 13 Posts