Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Just wanna say its my first time posting on this forum and Ive been riding a 2014 Honda CBR500R for about 7-8 months now (mostly stored during the winter). Last year when I got the bike, I changed both the front and the rear sprockets as well as the chain on the bike, did my oil change, flushed and replaced the radiator fluid and coolant, replaced the air filter with a K&N one, and did some cosmetic work on it. I wanted to take it a step further this summer and add additional mods on the bike as I do plan on keeping it for a few years before I decide to upgrade.

I'm going for a sportier feel as I dislike the upright seating position (I know that's what the bike is meant to do) and wanted to go about changing the rear seats, replacing the suspension, and adding clipons to the handle bars.

I needed a little help just figuring out what parts actually fit on the bike because I've been looking around and haven't had much luck.
1. Front handle bar clipons
2. Reatsets
3. Rear suspension
4. A fender Eliminator kit
5. Shorty levers

Thanks guys,

·
Super Moderator
1,278 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to hear you got the mod itch like many of us, haha!
Like with all mods there's a $ to $$$$ options, so will come down to how much you're willing to part with.

1. handlebars - 41mm clip-ons, dime-a-dozen cheapies on ebay, you may also look at brand names like and Vortex, Woodcraft. The zero rise will face issues with clearance, like you won't be able to go full lock-to-lock. 1" rise needs some finessing to work fully, though compromise is not an ideal wrist position. Ideally the clip-ons where the bar extends from the the centre of the fork tube are best for fit and comfort, though can be hard to find - you might extend your search range to other bikes with 41mm forks, like the f4i, yamaha R3, etc.

2. Rearsets - as with the clip-ons, there's cheapies and brand names, can't really go wrong with the brand names. The cheap ebay, etc ones tend to me tailored for a smaller statured person, so if you're 180cm or above you might feel your legs are a little cramped with those ones. In any case, with all of these, make sure you Locktite every nut/bolt/screw!

3. Suspension - (good you noted this as opposed to power mods, this is by far the best bang-for-buck) Set aside coin to do both front and rear, if you just do one end it will accentuate how out of sorts the other end is. The cheap option is to rebuild an f4i shock if you have an abs model, or for non-abs models a gsxr shock (2011-2018) can bolt straight in. The next rung up for the rear is brand name units like Ohlins. For the front end, a pair of linear springs, preload adjuster caps and fork oil change (15W) is a good start. Add cartridge emulators to be able fine tune compression is better. Full cartridge inserts is top tier.

4. Fender Eliminator - for the 2013-2015 you're pretty much limited to R&G only these days, even they might be running low on stock after this many years. Either that or get out a knife and trim down the stock one a bit.

5. Levers - I'd recommend getting foldable & extendable levers instead. Foldable so in the event of a stack they just fold out of the way, and extendable so you can choose either how short or long you want. It's a hit and miss affair with cheap vs brand name; pretty much all fit without issue, the only gripe being colour fade over time. I've had brand name fade <3mths and cheap ones take years to, and vice versa, **** even one lever fade faster than the other in the same package... good thing they're a cheap mod anyways.

Happy modding buddy :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, glad to hear you got the mod itch like many of us, haha!
Like with all mods there's a $ to $$$$ options, so will come down to how much you're willing to part with.

1. handlebars - 41mm clip-ons, dime-a-dozen cheapies on ebay, you may also look at brand names like and Vortex, Woodcraft. The zero rise will face issues with clearance, like you won't be able to go full lock-to-lock. 1" rise needs some finessing to work fully, though compromise is not an ideal wrist position. Ideally the clip-ons where the bar extends from the the centre of the fork tube are best for fit and comfort, though can be hard to find - you might extend your search range to other bikes with 41mm forks, like the f4i, yamaha R3, etc.

2. Rearsets - as with the clip-ons, there's cheapies and brand names, can't really go wrong with the brand names. The cheap ebay, etc ones tend to me tailored for a smaller statured person, so if you're 180cm or above you might feel your legs are a little cramped with those ones. In any case, with all of these, make sure you Locktite every nut/bolt/screw!

3. Suspension - (good you noted this as opposed to power mods, this is by far the best bang-for-buck) Set aside coin to do both front and rear, if you just do one end it will accentuate how out of sorts the other end is. The cheap option is to rebuild an f4i shock if you have an abs model, or for non-abs models a gsxr shock (2011-2018) can bolt straight in. The next rung up for the rear is brand name units like Ohlins. For the front end, a pair of linear springs, preload adjuster caps and fork oil change (15W) is a good start. Add cartridge emulators to be able fine tune compression is better. Full cartridge inserts is top tier.

4. Fender Eliminator - for the 2013-2015 you're pretty much limited to R&G only these days, even they might be running low on stock after this many years. Either that or get out a knife and trim down the stock one a bit.

5. Levers - I'd recommend getting foldable & extendable levers instead. Foldable so in the event of a stack they just fold out of the way, and extendable so you can choose either how short or long you want. It's a hit and miss affair with cheap vs brand name; pretty much all fit without issue, the only gripe being colour fade over time. I've had brand name fade <3mths and cheap ones take years to, and vice versa, **** even one lever fade faster than the other in the same package... good thing they're a cheap mod anyways.

Happy modding buddy :)
Hey man, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

I found a couple of parts and I just wanted to double-check before I send the order thru.

1. Handle bars: CNC higher Raised lift Clip on Ons clipon Fork Handle Bars Handlebar 31mm-55mm | eBay

2.Rearsets: For CBR500R 2013-2017 CNC Racing Rearset Footpegs Footrests Adjusting 2014 | eBay

3.Suspension: I found two different ones (both for gsxr), and I'm trying to find a bundle to buy the parts for the front shocks together. (no luck yet)

4.Fender eliminator: no luck yet

5. For Honda CBR500R CB500F CB500X 2013-2020 Fold Extend CNC Brake Clutch Levers | eBay

·
Super Moderator
1,278 Posts
Hey man, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

I found a couple of parts and I just wanted to double-check before I send the order thru.

1. Handle bars: CNC higher Raised lift Clip on Ons clipon Fork Handle Bars Handlebar 31mm-55mm | eBay

2.Rearsets: For CBR500R 2013-2017 CNC Racing Rearset Footpegs Footrests Adjusting 2014 | eBay

3.Suspension: I found two different ones (both for gsxr), and I'm trying to find a bundle to buy the parts for the front shocks together. (no luck yet)

4.Fender eliminator: no luck yet

5. For Honda CBR500R CB500F CB500X 2013-2020 Fold Extend CNC Brake Clutch Levers | eBay
1: Handlebars : yeah those are the ones I run, just make sure to order the 41mm sizing. As mentioned that having the bar in front of the fork tube means it's not the best fit. If you can source ones like these Helibars for an f4i where the bar extends from the side, you will get ideal fit and be able to properly position the bar for correct wrist angle.

2: Rearsets : Yes, those are the ones I run, no install instructions included but easy enough to reference pics to figure out how to.

3: Suspension : both of those are same-same, only difference being the top one includes the linkage components which you'd bin anyway as you'll use the 500s own linkages.
For the front end, best bang-for-buck is to check out Racetech for their linear springs (they have a spring calculator, if in between values go the softer option) and their gold cartridge emulators.
You can pickup cheap 41mm fork preload adjusters from ebay.

5: Levers : Yep they'll do nicely

Happy modding 🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
The advice to order the 41mm sizing is solid.

However, I know a guy with a CBR600F4, and I'm pretty sure that the F4 and F4i use 43mm fork tubes - not 41mm fork tubes. (That is to say, if you buy used or aftermarket clipons for an F4, I doubt that they'll work for you.)

If you are trying to get clipons that will work on your 2014 CBR500, then you might want to look for bars for another model, with the same size fork tubes. (If memory serves me correctly, factory equipment on the still-older CBR600F2 and F3 included 41mm forks, along with the 90-97 VFR750 and VTR1000F Superhawk and other models from other manufacturers.)

HTH,

Ron

1: Handlebars : yeah those are the ones I run, just make sure to order the 41mm sizing. As mentioned that having the bar in front of the fork tube means it's not the best fit. If you can source ones like these Helibars for an f4i where the bar extends from the side, you will get ideal fit and be able to properly position the bar for correct wrist angle.
View attachment 72862

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance guys, I just placed an order on the 41mm clipons with a riser on it because I wasn't able to find any that didn't break the bank. The rearsets and the levers are also on the way. However, for the suspension, I didn't realize the seller was charging the exact price as the product to ship it as well since I live in Canada, so ill be on the lookout for the same suspension and when I see one ill cop it.

Ill look further into getting in touch with Racetech to get all the parts ordered in as soon as I get a hold of the rear suspension on eBay.

All bought a mirror set with integrated signals on it cuz they looked pretty cool and a radiator grille guard.

Should take about 2 months till all the parts come in tho :LOL:

Will keep everyone updated.

Thank you,
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts