Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since late 2018, we were looking for a bike for my stepson to ride in the Canadian National Series amateur lightweight class.

He raced in the class last season on a stock engine ninja 300. He was at a disadvantage against built R3's and Ninja 400. He had also never raced on most of the tracks on the circuit . He did fairly well, but had a couple hard crashes that put him in 10th in the points at seasons end.

However, he cleaned up in the regionals, winning both lightweight class championships, top amateur rider and top teenage rider awards. The regional grids were just as large or larger than the Nationals, averaging at about 20 bikes.

So, back to the bike. We were originally looking for a 2018 Ninja 400, by January we hadn't found one that would fit in the budget. There is virtually no manufacturer or dealer support for racers in Canada.

We were offered a CBR500 from another racer friend who bought it as a project but never got around to building it. A matter of economics, buy a Ninja 400 - 6k, then put 5k into it turning it into a race bike...... or buy the 500 for 2k and spend the same 5k on parts building it.

The bike was rashed, but it came with all the oem parts we needed, new rad and fairing stay, he also threw in a set of hotbodies bodywork( lightly crashed) and a set of spec tires (dunlop q3+)

There were some unknowns with this bike but we jumped right in and started.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far what we've done is :

Ktech fork cartridges
Ktech razor rear shock
custom gauge cluster mount
Samco hose kit
Vortex clip ons
Vortex rear sets
Vortex chain and sprockets
Hotbodies bodywork ( fixed and painted rashed set that was included)
Brembo 16x18 front master
Brembo front rotor
Apex Racing custom braided lines
Power Commander 5
Power Commander quickshifter
Full Hindle Megaphone exhaust
Bickle Racing chain toe guard
Windmill Motorsports brake guard
Ebay chain adjuster brackets with spools
All Balls replacement wheel bearings
Super Duper secret quick turn throttle
custom made steering stops

Spare wheels from ebay...we still need 1 more rear

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Many thanks for posting, I always love following a bike build, but especially race bikes!! Please keep sharing..

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice build! I see you did something similar to what I did on my track bike. You replaced the mounting plate for the dash. I designed one and 3d printed mine out of ABS to get more clearance when turning the bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice build! I see you did something similar to what I did on my track bike. You replaced the mounting plate for the dash. I designed one and 3d printed mine out of ABS to get more clearance when turning the bars.

Nice!!...what year is your bike? with the 2013, we are still screwin around trying to get a windscreen to fit. My buddy kept the black plastic cowling for the gauge mount and trimmed back the edges. But he still has the stock bars. His windscreen works because he kept the part it screws into.

We have the clip ons, which are much lower. I set up steering stops so the front master doesn't hit the cluster, but still can't use the cowling. Looks like we will have to make a special bracket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice!!...what year is your bike? with the 2013, we are still screwin around trying to get a windscreen to fit. My buddy kept the black plastic cowling for the gauge mount and trimmed back the edges. But he still has the stock bars. His windscreen works because he kept the part it screws into.

We have the clip ons, which are much lower. I set up steering stops so the front master doesn't hit the cluster, but still can't use the cowling. Looks like we will have to make a special bracket.
mine is a 2013. my windscreen and fairing are fine with this. I also just installed a Brembo 16x18 but went with a clutch reservoir which is much smaller

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine is a 2013. my windscreen and fairing are fine with this. I also just installed a Brembo 16x18 but went with a clutch reservoir which is much smaller
we also have a 16 x 18 brembo master, can you show me a pic of your windscreen mounted? Would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I saw your post on FB, what would the advantage of your flash be over a PC-V with Auto Tune and quick shifter?
So while I don't have a quickshifter to offer just yet, the main advantage of being able to flash/tune an ECU is the level of detail you have control over. In the PCV you have one set of adjustments for the whole TPS/RPM space regardless if you are going uphill or downhill, whether you are launching, cruising, accelerating, decelerating. With the PCV, you can basically only tune for 1 constant operating state. The ECU has a TPS and MAP based fuel map which it interpolates between so you can actually tune all these different operating modes without them conflicting. You also have the potential to tune individual cylinders which a necessity usually for custom headers. Likewise with the ignition, if the ECU has timing maps for different gear groups. Plus there is all the little things you can do in the ECU, disable or adjust subsystems like fans, sensors, fuel cuts, limiters. If you are not already invested in a PCV, going the ECU flash route should be a no brainier. Of course, some people could benefit from the limiter changes even while keeping the PCV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, round 1 of regional racing is done.
It was rainy and shitty on Friday practice day....

We spent some time working on sag settings. Set it all up, pulled the belly pan to go tech the bike and notice an oil leak. Brand new Ktech razor rr rear shock leaking oil. Had to pull it off and take it 2hrs north to get it serviced. He said it was first time ever he'd seen Ktech shock leaking brand new. Anyway, we were lucky to get it done, otherwise our weekend would have been a write off.

Saturday way supposed to be nice, but weather changed for the worse. Matt was registered in 4 classes, lwt production, lwt sportsman, lwt twins and lwt superbike. 2 practice sessions and qualifying races in afternoon. He sat out 1st practice... too cold... 1st qualifier he was on pole, because he was last year's champion...he opted to start from back....new bike, not much practice and never started a race on it. Despite cold conditions he did well in all qualifying... 1st row on all but 1 class, lwt superbike, which is basically the sv650 class.

Sunday morning riders meeting..."timing system wasn't working yesterday... so we are doing timed qualifying this morning for most of your races"...lol... anyway...long and short, he did great....raced well in the afternoon too...

Got a 2nd in lwt prod... 3rd in lwt superbike...and 4th in the other 2 classes

All good practice for the Nationals, which is coming up in 2 weeks

Oh, btw on Saturday night, we set up a tv in our pit and watched the Motoamerica superbike race from earlier in the day....good times :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very successful weekend At CSBK ( Canadian National Series) round 1, Matt Simpson got on the podium for all of his races on both Saturday and Sunday. He earned 2- 3rds in CSBK Am lightweight and 2nd and 1st in the RACE support class races...very proud of this young man and all he has accomplished in his short racing career.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1102797919920128&id=622869691246289

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, we got the new bodywork in yesterday. It's from Moto Cambri in Italy.

The old hotbodies were a little beat up when we first got them. The painter fixed them up the best he could. He's been down in practice twice since then... so they are just about fubared.

This new stuff is nice, I ordered it not painted, but their prime finish is better than what we've ever had on any other bike. It fits well, reinforced at mounting points, heat shield and 2 drain plugs on the belly pan. Overall top quality stuff.

Superbike tail is a nice feature too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts