Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own an '07 Ninja 500, and I'm quite interested in 'upgrading' to the CBR 500.

CBR over the Ninja:
  • Fuel injection!
  • ABS option
  • Fuel gauge (I think)
  • Much better looking

Ninja over the CBR:
  • Power. It sounds like the US version will have 54(?) hp. I can't find anything official from Honda about it. Wikipedia says the Ninja has 59 hp. I really wouldn't want less power. How big is that 5 hp going to be?

Questionable:
  • Fuel economy. My last tank with the Ninja got me 47 mpg. Can the CBR do better? Again, no numbers on this from Honda.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hondas a sharper looking bike IMO. What's the weight of the Ninja 500?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Another thing with the Ninja as that it's not as torquey (low down) as the Honda. You need to wring its neck to get the best out of it. The Honda is a much more relaxing ride.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
honda is 47 hp crank not 54 hp and you get better fuel economy like 4.5 liters per 100 km - my friends not me:) i mostly get 5.2 liters per 100 km.
You will definitely feel the power deficit but a 2013 fi bike will be much more smoother and of course will have better throttle response.
cbr500r is a good choice for you if you want to keep your current limits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there any confirmation that its only 47 even for U.S? and 47 at the crank means like 40 at the wheel, thats not cool. It seems with the way your explaining your gas mileage, you are from way up north or across the big pond
But even though i want something really nice and big, i think the 500 is my next bike being that its a really good price, a nice step up from my cbr250 and will do 2-up really nice

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The CBR500 is a great upgrade over the CBR250 regardless of how much HP it makes. 47 or 54. It really isn't that much of a difference anyways.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Is there any confirmation that its only 47 even for U.S? and 47 at the crank means like 40 at the wheel, thats not cool. It seems with the way your explaining your gas mileage, you are from way up north or across the big pond
But even though i want something really nice and big, i think the 500 is my next bike being that its a really good price, a nice step up from my cbr250 and will do 2-up really nice
Its 47 at the wheel, not crank. It is made to meet the EU "A2" license: 47HP at the wheel.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
cbr_dave, 500 series are 47 at the crank in Thailand, it is dynoed and found this way.
but i am checking the dyno sheet of Leo Vince Pipe and it shows 47 rear wheel hps so i am confused too.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
cbr_dave, 500 series are 47 at the crank in Thailand, it is dynoed and found this way.
but i am checking the dyno sheet of Leo Vince Pipe and it shows 47 rear wheel hps so i am confused too.
You gotta be wrong...its rear wheel 47HP :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
while were on the topic, whats the average % of power lost on bike from crank hp to wheel hp, cant be that much??? i know some cars see and much as 20% of the factory crank hp lost thru the drive train but the percentage on a bike must be far less??

EDIT:
ok did some google searches and some people reckon bike see about 5-10% loss and cars around 10-20%, typically. also keep reading that there are so many variables in drivetrain that nearly impossible to give a accurate figure for power loss.
ah too technical for me, enjoying the bike way too much to care really.

·
Registered
107 Posts
while were on the topic, whats the average % of power lost on bike from crank hp to wheel hp, cant be that much??? i know some cars see and much as 20% of the factory crank hp lost thru the drive train but the percentage on a bike must be far less??

EDIT:
ok did some google searches and some people reckon bike see about 5-10% loss and cars around 10-20%, typically. also keep reading that there are so many variables in drivetrain that nearly impossible to give a accurate figure for power loss.
ah too technical for me, enjoying the bike way too much to care really.
I think it's pretty easy to gauge the power loss going from car to bike, after all a bike does have way less things going on from engine to wheel.

I wouldn't care too much about cbr500 power loss just from engine to wheel, how much HP can 5-10% amount to? 10hp? it's not that much.

I bet with some easily attainable modifications we can make up for the power loss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lol, 10 hp on a bike is quite a lot, especially when you already have a bit of weight on it as well. There is a huge difference in if its 47 hp at the wheel and 47 hp at the crank lol

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I think it's pretty easy to gauge the power loss going from car to bike, after all a bike does have way less things going on from engine to wheel.
A working average would be 15% loss on a bike. So that's about 7HP for a ~50HP bike.

how much HP can 5-10% amount to? 10hp? it's not that much.
LOL 5-10% of ~50HP = 10HP???? Hmmmm......10% of 50 is 5 (you know, shift the decimal point one to the left like we did in school) ;).

And yeah 10HP loss is HUGE man :)

Dave

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tyga dynoed the Honda 500 at 45 whp stock... I'm not sure what Ninja 500s dyno at.. But like someone already said, the Honda has gobs more down-low power.. this makes for a much smoother, easier riding experience than a rev-happy engine..

From what I've read, Ninja 500 from an all out race standpoint will be a little faster (not night and day faster) over the Honda 500s.. I believe the Honda traps 95 mph in a quarter mile vs 99 mph for the Ninja 500.

I find the extra torque to be more fun to enjoy than pure top end power. It's like comparing the 2006-2011 Honda Civic Si vs the 2012+ Si.. One has low down torque (12+) and the older is a rev-happy pure top end performance with nothing down low.

Reactions: D Rob
1 - 20 of 34 Posts