Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

i recently changed coolant for the first time, emptied old, put in new, used engine ice, took the bike out to go to work, overheated on the way. i learned that you have to put coolant through the radiator as well, turn it on till it pushes all air out, did that, not the engine gets hot, but sensor doesn't say its hot, and fan doesn't kick in, any chance the heat sensor got damaged and how to replace it please

·
Registered
372 Posts
I doubt the sensor's bad. The cooling system may still have air pockets trapped. With the engine COOL, remove the radiator cap, gently rock the bike side-to-side to slosh coolant in the radiator. Top of the fluid level in the radiator before you reattach radiator cap. Top off coolant jug again. Good Luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I doubt the sensor's bad. The cooling system may still have air pockets trapped. With the engine COOL, remove the radiator cap, gently rock the bike side-to-side to slosh coolant in the radiator. Top of the fluid level in the radiator before you reattach radiator cap. Top off coolant jug again. Good Luck.
Sounds good.
A nibble. The high and low level lines for the coolant overflow jug are down near the bottom of the jug. "Top off" in this case is to the high line.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did that, took it for a spin, came back, cut off the engine then on again but did not hit the ignition, usually this is when the fan kicks on but this time it didn't :(

·
Registered
372 Posts
What makes you believe the engine is hot enough for the electric fan to come on? If the radiator is full, the overflow reservoir is topped off, and there's no air pockets in the cooling system to cause problems.. The system should have no problems. I rode a Yamaha R3 for 3 years and only heard the electric fan come on 1 time.. on a 95F degree day as I drove the bike in my garage before shutting it off from a 3 hour ride. The electric fan only comes on when needed, it's not continuous.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe? When the ignition switch is switched 'ON' and before the starter in engaged...would be when... The electric fuel pump comes on to prime the injectors. It sounds like a buzz.. since it is indeed a small electric pump. It'll cut on even if you immediately engage the starter, but you probably wouldn't hear the buzzing then, since the starter and engine would drown out the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts