Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2017 Honda CB500X. The only thing I have done to it is install a slip on exhaust "Coffman's Shorty". My question is, does anyone have experience with getting more power out of the engine with a power commander? Just was wanting to get a little more from the engine without compromising engine operation. Don't want to damage anything.

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
Hey Trottman,
Welcome to the forums.
I suggest to use the search function. The cb500 engine is limited by many things, changing the silencer and a PCV would not bring much.
The engine is capable of 53-55 fairly easy, roughly 60 is still manageable, and racebikes can reach 65-66 with compromises on cost and longevity.
Unless you know exactly what are you doing, you'd be better off with an ecu flash than a PCV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is an ecu flash? Any recommendation on what to get? Any experience with changing the gearing? Looking for more top end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Coffman (baffle in) on my 2014 CB500F along with a K&N and opened up intake snorkel (pre-filter). I installed a Dobeck EJK 3.5. It uses a O2 sensor bypass and has lots of adjustability. So far it's working great. I have gotten a couple of error codes from the bike's ECU when things are on the lean side ("21"...O2 sensor). I've sent off some questions about it to Dobeck and am waiting a reply. It may mean absolutely nothing. We'll see what they say. The power is significantly improved over stock settings. Their WOT (red) suggested setting needed to be significantly richer for some reason (on my bike). I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Trottman,
Welcome to the forums.
I suggest to use the search function. The cb500 engine is limited by many things, changing the silencer and a PCV would not bring much.
The engine is capable of 53-55 fairly easy, roughly 60 is still manageable, and racebikes can reach 65-66 with compromises on cost and longevity.
Unless you know exactly what are you doing, you'd be better off with an ecu flash than a PCV.
I’m confused. I purchased a 2018 hold over CB500x yesterday. I was doing 60 in the parking lot. Bounced up to 90 a few times home to keep changing rpm ranges. So, I don’t understand 60 being being manageable??? I would say that 70-80 could be an all day ride on the 4 lines. I’m sure this bike can do short runs in 100-110 range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oyabun is talking about HP not MPH. 53 to 55 HP is fairly easy to attain with the correct modifications and tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts