Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's got one and where are you?

In based in SW London and have a black CB500F. Saw a guy ride past me in Putney with a red one last Friday (may have been a test ride).

In the UK the bikes come with ABS as standard and Datatag installed. CBF's seem in short supply too. Next batch due end May / early July I'm told.

Plus a lot of insurance companies don't yet have them on their systems but I'm sure this will change pretty quickly. Finally parts and accessories are supplied too order so will take time to arrive :(.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agh was thinking of getting an r. Not yet done license though so depends on when I get round to it.. Maybe next year now. Still got the Audi TTS to keep me entertained though!. NW London near Staines. Luke.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah the red isn't available in the UK (and the rest of Europe I think) we have the the Tri-colour, black and silver;)

I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me, I'll have to see each in the flesh before I decide which one

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Not seen one on roads around Bristol, and not gone along to Fowlers yet to see one for real, as when I do think I will want, want lol.
Really in a quandry as to whether to get a motorcycle, be a CB 500 most likely the R but like F to. Even looking at the new Duke 390 but owrried about build/reliability there.

Then now I cycle to work its not easy 17 miles each day but im saving a fortune lol, and was thinking of getting a nice mountain bike to commute on and have fun on weekend on the trails.

Mad thing is to buy cycle I want will actually cost about same monthly payments as getting a motorbike (will pay motorbike insurance in one go).
As for cycle will need to insure it as its around 2k and be buying it on part finance as would motorbike!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The silver looks really good. Pretty weird though that we're getting different colours to the rest but who cares ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not seen one on roads around Bristol, and not gone along to Fowlers yet to see one for real, as when I do think I will want, want lol.
Really in a quandry as to whether to get a motorcycle, be a CB 500 most likely the R but like F to. Even looking at the new Duke 390 but owrried about build/reliability there.

Then now I cycle to work its not easy 17 miles each day but im saving a fortune lol, and was thinking of getting a nice mountain bike to commute on and have fun on weekend on the trails.

Mad thing is to buy cycle I want will actually cost about same monthly payments as getting a motorbike (will pay motorbike insurance in one go).
As for cycle will need to insure it as its around 2k and be buying it on part finance as would motorbike!
Personally, I would say go for the motorbike.. yeh a cycle will make you fitter but a bike will get you there faster!!! (and is a lot easier in the winter too!).

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Personally, I would say go for the motorbike.. yeh a cycle will make you fitter but a bike will get you there faster!!! (and is a lot easier in the winter too!).
hehe, I would still cycle but on nicer days as have one, just was going to upgrade it to full suspension job.
In past had all sorts of motorbikes from Ducati 748s to, Yamaha MT-01 (1670cc V-twin) and now realised I dont really need more than 400-500cc, perfect size I had VFR 400 when I started riding 15 years ago and then a hornet 600 great bikes, but then got carried away with power etc and spent a fortune on changing bikes.
The new 500's are great value to, though the ktm duke 390 keeps catching my eye lol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've paid a deposit on a siiver CBR500R last Saturday, just waiting for a shipping date.... Dealer sez 'Mayish.... but could be Juneish'... Aiiieee...

I've not seen either the F or the R on the road yet, apart from me, on the test ride, at the dealer. They weren't overrun with bookings, either.... Lots of interested folks around tho. Fairly sure most are waiting for the X to come out before they make an order. I probably should have done the same (coming from a 2007 DL650 AK7 GT), but they say a change is as good as a rest.... lol :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Tinteeee, nice one.. I wasn't aware the R came in Silver until it was mention here.. Looks the dogs doh dars!

Not seen many new CB500's around London either but stock is limited from what the dealer was saying so guess time will tell.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi DkD!

Thanks - I'm quite pleased with the bike too :) just need it to arrive now!

Never been in at the start of something like this before - makes a change!

Looking forward to learning about it's foibles away from the test-ride.

Are we and Ibbo the only Brits on here, d'ya think?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Im a possible owner from Bristol, UK. Going to see what local dealer has in next few weeks and see them for real, not sure which one id go for but most likely the CBR500r and the missus likes it best lol!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, if the missus likes it, that's half the battle won..... :)

Sorry Lee, didn't mean to ignore you. My local Honda Deaer has both the R and F in as demos, but I would have thought Fowlers woud have been a bit quicker off the mark than my dealer.... Like someone else posted on another thread (don't remember who, sadly) my dealer has already said he won't have the CB500X as a demo bike, as they 'don't need to' - seems odd to me, but hey.

KTMs are fairly crap, anyway....

lol

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are we and Ibbo the only Brits on here, d'ya think?
Seems like it mate, but we're going for quality over quantity I reckon ;)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Well, if the missus likes it, that's half the battle won..... :)

Sorry Lee, didn't mean to ignore you. My local Honda Deaer has both the R and F in as demos, but I would have thought Fowlers woud have been a bit quicker off the mark than my dealer.... Like someone else posted on another thread (don't remember who, sadly) my dealer has already said he won't have the CB500X as a demo bike, as they 'don't need to' - seems odd to me, but hey.

KTMs are fairly crap, anyway....

lol
Lol no worries, I am not an owner yet either.
Yeah expect they have a good share of the bikes, and demos, really need to try one first as in past bought bikes based on reviews etc as no demos on some, but this time deff want a demo. See in other countries they loan them out for 2 days etc thats what we need not a few hours.

I doubt Id get the x though it looks great to me as an adventure style one.

KTM is completely different, about 40kg lighter a single etc, i am only really comparing as they are a similar price and always wanted one to. For daily commute be ideal, but honda better for missus on back etc!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
hours as in plural? My test ride was just the one hour... spread across both the R and F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are more of us Brits. I've had my black R since the end of March. Now got 850 miles on the clock. It's a great little bike which I've been using for runs out into North Wales and commuting to work. Regularly getting 65+mpg with more on long runs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts