Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase CB500F made in 2017 with approximately 51000 Km on the odometer.
The seller seems to be trustworthy and belongs to a local bike club. The price is fair.
Is there something particular to keep in mind? From the outside the bike looks very sensible.
Caveat - I've never owned a motorcycle before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Mine has around that many miles and still runs like new and doesn't need anything. If he's taken very good care of it you're probably in good shape. Get a used motorcycle buyers guide and go through the checklists. Get your MSF certification and get the best gear you can afford. That's it. Welcome to the world of motorcycling.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since you are new to motorcycling, have an experienced motorcycle friend test ride the bike before buying.

Also ask that friend to check the wear of the tires and the condition of the chain. At 51Km these will have already been replaced at least twice but it would be expensive to discover that you needed to immediately replace all of them.

Have fun!

Reactions: chzeckmate

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also ask that friend to check the wear of the tires and the condition of the chain. At 51Km these will have already been replaced at least twice but it would be expensive to discover that you needed to immediately replace all of them.
I trust the seller, will check with them re. chain & tyres specifically.

Have fun!
Will do!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine has around that many miles and still runs like new and doesn't need anything. If he's taken very good care of it you're probably in good shape. Get a used motorcycle buyers guide and go through the checklists. Get your MSF certification and get the best gear you can afford. That's it. Welcome to the world of motorcycling.

I have a 2014 CB500F with 36k miles on it and it's still riding strong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am planning to purchase CB500F made in 2017 with approximately 51000 Km on the odometer.
The seller seems to be trustworthy and belongs to a local bike club. The price is fair.
Is there something particular to keep in mind? From the outside the bike looks very sensible.
Caveat - I've never owned a motorcycle before.

Thanks!
Mine has now traveled 196,000 km, uses no oil between changes, (10,000 km) starts first compression, and runs as sweet as ever. She is still using her second set of spark plugs, and otherwise the motor, clutch, and gear-box are as they left the factory in 2013. I would expect that the one you are looking at has a long life yet to be enjoyed.

·
Registered
2020 CBR500R - bone stock (for now)
9 Posts
Mine has now traveled 196,000 km, uses no oil between changes, (10,000 km) starts first compression, and runs as sweet as ever. She is still using her second set of spark plugs, and otherwise the motor, clutch, and gear-box are as they left the factory in 2013. I would expect that the one you are looking at has a long life yet to be enjoyed.
wow, that is impressive, never heard of such mileage on a motorcycle! and still stock motor and clutch?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That may be so with a Honda. I clocked up a little over 1 million km on my BMW K100 still with original (never opened) motor and gearbox. That bike got ridden all over Australia many time over many years.
Well that's a lot. I'm just doing the math on that. If you bought a new K100 the day it was first introduced you'd have to ride it over 25,000 kms every year since then without a break until now. Add to that the unknown number of kms you've put on an unknown number of other bikes, this is impressive beyond comprehension. This is the stuff legends are made of. Whatever became of your illustrious K100?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That may be so with a Honda. I clocked up a little over 1 million km on my BMW K100 still with original (never opened) motor and gearbox. That bike got ridden all over Australia many time over many years.
I won't live long enough to challenge that. Averaging 100 km per day, which I do, it would take 22 years, and I would be 106. Possible, but unlikely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well that's a lot. I'm just doing the math on that. If you bought a new K100 the day it was first introduced you'd have to ride it over 25,000 kms every year since then without a break until now. Add to that the unknown number of kms you've put on an unknown number of other bikes, this is impressive beyond comprehension. This is the stuff legends are made of. Whatever became of your illustrious K100?
I bought thee BMW K100 new a few months after it was released in Australia in 1984. It was not uncommon for me to ride 50,000km or more in a year. I did a lot of touring on that bike all over Australia, including a couple of around Australia rides. My longest one-day ride was a little over 1,200km in about 11 hours, traveling from Darwin to Cairns.

I rode my K100 for about 30 years. Then I stripped it down and parted it out. From selling the parts, I was able to buy a new Suzuki DL650 Vstrom.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought thee BMW K100 new a few months after it was released in Australia in 1984. It was not uncommon for me to ride 50,000km or more in a year. I did a lot of touring on that bike all over Australia, including a couple of around Australia rides. My longest one-day ride was a little over 1,200km in about 11 hours, traveling from Darwin to Cairns.

I rode my K100 for about 30 years. Then I stripped it down and parted it out. From selling the parts, I was able to buy a new Suzuki DL650 Vstrom.
I passed 200,000 km (125,000 miles) last week. My target is now 250,00 km. Still runs like new, well maybe better.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

You are truly a legend. I can't imagine riding over 1,200km in about 11 hours. You'd have to be averaging at least 110 km per hour (or 70 mph) non stop for 11 straight hours. That's averaging without considering stopping for fuel, food, rest, or anything else. I can't even imagine completing a marathon like that. You are superhuman, sir.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are truly a legend. I can't imagine riding over 1,200km in about 11 hours. You'd have to be averaging at least 110 km per hour (or 70 mph) non stop for 11 straight hours. That's averaging without considering stopping for fuel, food, rest, or anything else. I can't even imagine completing a marathon like that. You are superhuman, sir.

That ride was on roads with a 110kph speed limit in outback Queensland. I was riding a bit faster than that. The 11 hours was actual riding time. I started the ride at about 6am and reached my destination for the night at about 7pm. It was a long day and I was rather tired.

Normally I would then (a few decades ago) limit my rides to about 800km per day but on that day I had to ride a bit further as accommodation was not readily available out bush where I was.

·
Registered
2020 CBR500R - bone stock (for now)
9 Posts
That ride was on roads with a 110kph speed limit in outback Queensland. I was riding a bit faster than that. The 11 hours was actual riding time. I started the ride at about 6am and reached my destination for the night at about 7pm. It was a long day and I was rather tired.

Normally I would then (a few decades ago) limit my rides to about 800km per day but on that day I had to ride a bit further as accommodation was not readily available out bush where I was.
That's still amazing, its hard to do it in a car, let alone a bike, the amount of focus and concentration. I am doing a lot more longer trips here in Malaysia though, the beautiful scenery keeps me focused, otherwise if its riding through a desert, I'd probably fall asleep and fall off the bike!:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts