Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Premium fuel? If the engine is rated for regular it won't really notice the premium. Studies note that it's affect on performance or fuel economy is insignificant. Don't waste the money.
What jonreese said. Premium is a complete waste of money, as these motors are engineered to run most efficiently on regular fuel. It's amazing that so many people feel that they are improving their mileage/performance by using more expensive premium fuel.

Glen

·
Registered
27 Posts
The math at the pump shows me at around 66 - 67 MPG with about 70% city and 30 fwy. The Display though usually shows about 10 mpg under what I actually get

·
Registered
55 Posts
The math at the pump shows me at around 66 - 67 MPG with about 70% city and 30 fwy. The Display though usually shows about 10 mpg under what I actually get
Well that makes me feel a little better. I haven't been doing the math and the display usually is showing 54 to 55 mpg.

Has anyone used a GPS to compare to the odometer? The speedometer on my F is very close to what the GPS shows but I keep forgetting to reset the mileage on the GPS when I fill up and reset the trip meter. If the odometer is reading high or low it would also throw off the mileage calculation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What jonreese said. Premium is a complete waste of money, as these motors are engineered to run most efficiently on regular fuel. It's amazing that so many people feel that they are improving their performance by using more expensive premium fuel.

Glen
Who said everyone is putting premium strictly for a performance gain?

I use it because of the lack of ethanol which translates into better mileage. Something I verified over several trips.

Also, there is a definite difference in response between 87 and 91 on MY bike. It certainly feels more eager upon throttle application... It's obvious that the ECU is throwing in more ignition timing.

That alone justifies the extra dollar each fill-up.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I've always used premium based on the Honda reco from the manual. Flogging the bike most commutes I get about 58-62 mpg. Since installing the Yoshimura pipe I've noticed slight decrease in MPG - but I have a feeling I'm just revving harder, and riding faster because it now sounds like a motorcycle. There's a place nearby that sells "racing fuel" but I haven't investigated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've always used premium based on the Honda reco from the manual. Flogging the bike most commutes I get about 58-62 mpg. Since installing the Yoshimura pipe I've noticed slight decrease in MPG - but I have a feeling I'm just revving harder, and riding faster because it now sounds like a motorcycle. There's a place nearby that sells "racing fuel" but I haven't investigated.
No premium gas reco in the manual that I can find. My manual says RON 91 which would equate to the 87 (R+M)/2 rating for regular gas in the USA.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I run premium as I am only putting in like 10-14 liters at a time. the cost difference is so not even worth having this discussion. if we are talking about our cars, then ok. 15 cents on 70 or 80 liters is significant. Just me. when I fill my tank on premium fuel for $13 (yes we get gouged in Canada huge, for my American forum'ers), I am not going to complain one bit. Yes I frequently get 400km or better on a tank of fuel. I credit the premium for that.

Is that even a word? Forum'ers? or forumites? lol!! new word for the English dictionary!!! wahoo!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well that makes me feel a little better. I haven't been doing the math and the display usually is showing 54 to 55 mpg.

Has anyone used a GPS to compare to the odometer? The speedometer on my F is very close to what the GPS shows but I keep forgetting to reset the mileage on the GPS when I fill up and reset the trip meter. If the odometer is reading high or low it would also throw off the mileage calculation.
My GPS is reporting my speed within 1 mph of the speedometer so it's clearly the fuel metering that's off ... and it shows when I refuel saying I used more fuel than I can fit back in the tank! It's off by about 1/6th as I can only get 3.0 gallons in when it says I used 3.5 gallons.

Reactions: sawride

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went for my first long ride with the bike and this was the first time I checked my mileage. The bike went from 200 miles total to 400 miles total so it might not be fully broken in. The bike also has a small PUIG windscreen attached (which is supposed to help mileage) and I am only 155 pounds.

My buddy has a VROD with a broken gas gauge so he watches his odometer and fills up every 100 miles so as not to get stranded. We topped off our tanks, headed off down the St. Croix river and stopped for gas after 104 miles. My friend with the VROD used 2.7 gallons, my other friend riding an old Yamaha Phazer used 2.9 gallons, then I topped mine off.....drumroll.......1.29 gallons.

80mpg. I could not believe it. I just ditched a 300cc scooter I used to get 73 mpg on all the time, and I did not think I would do as good but the 500 did better.

The riding about 10 miles of 45mph twisties, the rest was 50% long straights with some full throttle playing between 55-80 mph, and good cruising curvy roads with gentle at 55-60. We did some passing and there was plenty of throttle applied at times. I am just amazed. By the way, this was on 91 octane.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just filled up for the first time. Bike has 185 miles on it. It got 68 mpg. That seems pretty good considering that I haven't gotten used to the bike yet. I'm a new-ish rider and I'm still trying to smooth out my shifting etc.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just gassed up again, worked out to 84.51 mpg, (Imperial) about the same as the last few fill-ups. This equates to 70.37 miles per US gallon.

Glen

Reactions: newbie500r

·
Registered
174 Posts
US gallons: Last fill-up this week was 3.34 gal. at 251 miles for 75 mpg. That would be 90 mpg on an Imperial gallon. I had gone into the reserve by 0.2 gal. so figuring 3.14 gal. when I hit reserve on a 4.15 gal. tank gives me a one gallon reserve. Manual says approximately 0.74 US gal. reserve but the bike's metering and math is all screwed up. I'm not planning on testing how big the reserve really is but it's good to know I don't need to panic when it starts flashing. For reference my prior fill-up was 3.0 gal. at 210 miles for 70 mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys, just curious what type of gas mileage you all are getting out there? I see the that 2015 model is suppose to get somewhere around 71mpg. I'm curious what people are getting.
I am getting an average of 60 mpg. Most of my commute is 20 miles of bypass where I run a constant 77 mph. But I beat on it pretty hard everywhere else with quick acceleration and going hard on it out of turns getting to the bypass for about 12 miles. Not bad for how I ride it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It really all depends on how hard you ride. Riding easy, up shifting at 4500 & using tiny throttle openings I can average 70+ mpg US gallons. Riding it more aggressively with up-shifts at 6000+ or higher & the mpg will drop into the low 60s. Still, pretty amazing all things considered. My Yamaha TW200 gets about the same with much less horsepower.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts