Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, just curious what type of gas mileage you all are getting out there? I see the that 2015 model is suppose to get somewhere around 71mpg. I'm curious what people are getting.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
hi guys, just curious what type of gas mileage you all are getting out there? I see the that 2015 model is suppose to get somewhere around 71mpg. I'm curious what people are getting.
My last tank worked out to 84.9 mpg, (Imperial gallons) which is 71 miles per US gallon. My highest to date was 89.4 mpg.

Glen

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I am somewhat amazed by that, I seem to be averaging around 55.4 mpg, and I read this article: The Better Twin | 2013 Honda CB500F Review | Sport Rider where they mention their test bike getting 54 mpg. Are you doing something different?
My mileage has been on the rise as the bike gets broken in. I am presently at about 1,500 kms. My riding is mostly open country roads, with very little stop and go; there are no traffic lights on my island, almost no traffic at all, very few intersections... I ride at fairly consistent speeds of between 80-100 kph. (though I do tend to accelerate rather aggressively, and have been known to get up over the 140km/h mark occasionally)

80+ mpg (Imperial gallons) has been attained by many members of this forum, though with most being American, they report it as 66-ish mpg. (US gallons)

Also worth noting that the on-board computer does a poor job of determining the fuel mileage, so it is best to work it out manually.

Glen

·
Registered
174 Posts
The bike says about 60 mpg with 3.5 gallons used but with a max 3.0 gallon fill-up I calculate it out at about 70 mpg each time. Not trying to be easy on it but not beating it up either. My GPS reports the right speed within 1 mph so it's clearly just the fuel metering that's off by a whack.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
75 MPG US on the last fill-up. I do a lot of back road riding at 3500 RPM

ride safely,

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
75 MPG US on the last fill-up. I do a lot of back road riding at 3500 RPM

ride safely,
Yikes, you just put my latest numbers to shame, ExTex... that works out to just over 90 miles per Imperial gallon!

Glen

·
Registered
122 Posts
The last I checked I was at 65 mpg. That's commuting 60 miles round trip each day with about half of that on the freeway.

·
Registered
2018 Suzuki GSXS-1000F
342 Posts
My best was 81 mpg but average 57, somewhat aggressive riding. Worst was 42, in the highway holding it between 90&95.

·
Registered
102 Posts

That's what I'm getting with side hard bags. Mostly <50mph commuting and weekend rides. When I jump onto the freeway and do 75+, then it drops into the 50's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Around 62 mpg for me. My commute is a mix of city and highway riding, and the bike has roughly 8k miles on it total. Fuelly will give you a better indication of averages rather than our anecdotal info though to be honest. It all depends on how you ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Over 29 fills ups and roughly ~6250 kms I've managed ~3.8L/100kms average. In murika' units that's ~3900 miles and ~62 mpg.

30% city commuting and 70% rural riding and other than the city riding I'm not easy on the throttle (as long as the bike is warm). I only put Shell 91 oct and am rather pleasantly surprised on how efficient this bike is!

·
Registered
143 Posts
My trip meter on Freddy hovers in the 3.5 to 3.8l/100km range. Which translates into 80.7mpg to 74.3mpg in Canada or 67.2mpg to 61.8mpg in the US.

Thought this was amazing mileage myself and just for the record, only burn premium fuel, 91 octane or higher (sometimes 94).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does the premium fuel make a difference? I've never thought about that. I'm curious to try it now. I just figured, Honda engine, no big deal, same gas as the lawn mower....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Premium fuel? If the engine is rated for regular it won't really notice the premium. Studies note that it's affect on performance or fuel economy is insignificant. Don't waste the money.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts