Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my first motorbike it's a 2001 cb500. I was out driving it last night and the revs are sticking at 4 thousand revs. Any ideas. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
Sorry pal. This site is for the newer, fuel injected 2013+ 471cc cb500 family.
You gotta check a forum relevant to you and the carbed 499cc CB500.

·
Registered
90 Posts
But if you do come back to read this - check that you dont have a leak in the boots, that the boots are on fully, around both sides of the carbs.
Also that the choke is working and is not on choke all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if you do come back to read this - check that you dont have a leak in the boots, that the boots are on fully, around both sides of the carbs.
Also that the choke is working and is not on choke all the time.
Cheers thank you for your help 😁👍

·
Registered
649 Posts
Check for sticking throttle cable(s). or sticking slides in carbs. Air leak usually results in bike wanting to die rather than idle high., One way to check for air leaks is to get a can of spray starting fluid and spray around areas to see if tubes, etc. are trying to suck in air. There will be an audible change is RPM's if starting fluid reveals leak(s).

Also, look for simply the idle adjustment(s). Sometimes, dirt or debris or will not allow the carbs to fully close.

Reactions: Wigycb5002020

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check for sticking throttle cable(s). or sticking slides in carbs. Air leak usually results in bike wanting to die rather than idle high., One way to check for air leaks is to get a can of spray starting fluid and spray around areas to see if tubes, etc. are trying to suck in air. There will be an audible change is RPM's if starting fluid reveals leak(s).

Also, look for simply the idle adjustment(s). Sometimes, dirt or debris or will not allow the carbs to fully close.
Perfect thanks for your reply it's much appreciated 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts