Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The best Air Box Mod?? After researching how to get the most power from the 471cc motor I've come to the following conclusions. DO NOT spend a lot of money trying to get more HP from this motor. At best you may pick up a max of 5 or 6 HP after spending a small fortune on physical mods dyno tunes, remapped ECUs and Power Commanders. The best way to get better acceleration from these bikes is weight reduction and sprocket changes. Second best is a free breathing air box and if you have a bike with the restricted velocity stacks is to open them up.

Here is a simple Mod that I made using a $10.00 Honda Lawn Mower air filter. I tried the K&N and felt or heard no difference. I was not going to spend $300 on the carbon fiber air box or highly modify the stock filter like some have.

So after I trimmed 30 lbs. off of my Seriously Naked 2017 F, added a Coffman exhaust and 14/42 sprockets I realized a pretty good performance increase. Next step was to think outside of the box (get it> air box) and modify the air box to sound great and give the bike a noticeable extra kick.

The pictures are easy to follow to do this very easy and effective mod. The bike feels a bit peppier and now has a great sounding air intake.

All you need to do is to cut along the perimeter of the air box cover and use bead of silicon seal all around and lightly press the air filter on. To change the filter you will have to cut the old filter off and pull all of the silicon seal off and redo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That looks like the exact air filter that my mower takes. It should be replaced this year. I may grab two of them and give this mod a try. Thanks for sharing the details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty cool idea. A lot has been written and tried on these air boxes but that is the simplest and probably most effective mod to date. You would not think that a lawn mower filter would flow enough air. Nice bike! out of all the mods you did which one would you do if you could only afford 1??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pretty cool idea. A lot has been written and tried on these air boxes but that is the simplest and probably most effective mod to date. You would not think that a lawn mower filter would flow enough air. Nice bike! out of all the mods you did which one would you do if you could only afford 1??
Lawn mowers air filters don't need to flow air very well but they do, they have to have a lot of surface area to stop all the grass and leaves clippings. The one mod that I would defiantly do is the suspension, the fork emulators from RaceTech and the $40 GSXR rear shock and spring from eBay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@toslo50 how is the filter secured to the box lid?
I thought I included this paragraph so here it is> All you need to do is to cut along the perimeter of the air box cover and use bead of silicon seal all around and lightly press the air filter on. To change the filter you will have to cut the old filter off and pull all of the silicon seal off and redo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not quite understanding how you did that mod on the air box. But, I’ll look at mine to get a better idea
I thought I included this paragraph so here it is> All you need to do is to cut along the perimeter of the air box cover and use bead of silicon seal all around and lightly press the air filter on. To change the filter you will have to cut the old filter off and pull all of the silicon seal off and redo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts