Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if any CB500 Riders have ridden the retro CB1100.

Interestingly, reading about the CB1100 is what got me interested in Honda. I went to a dealership to check it out.
It's beautiful and definitely captures some old vibes. However, at $1099 with ABS it was way out of my price range.

Even if I could afford it, I'd feel bad treating it hard as a daily commuter. However, while at the dealer I sat on a CB500X and thought "now this is interesting and affordable".

I have read that a lot of CB1100 fans wish it came in smaller displacements like 750 or 500. Not sure how well it will sell here and if there will be variations. My initial thought is no but what do I know!

Anyway, if anyone has ridden a CB1100, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Was on a day ride yesterday with the local Powerhouse GM. He took the CB 1100 and I must say it's a sweet bike. It had Yosh pipes on it and wow, it sounded awesome. Certainly had pick up and go and nimble but the downside it was tiring to ride at highway speeds without a windscreen which, IMO detracts from the retro look. My friend is an extremely experienced rider in supreme shape but he said within a couple of hours he was feeling the effects of highway wind blasts. Would be a great commuter bike but touring maybe not so much.

Reactions: Rumble66

·
Registered
197 Posts
I really like the CB1100, never ridden one, but they are just a bit too expensive for what it is.

At the end of the day if I was seriously looking at a CB1100, I would probably end up with a triumph Bonneville

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
If they made a CB750, they'd really destroy Triumph's 865 twin. Historically, the CB750 was a great seller and still lots of people seek them out. We've got a large vintage bike scene around here, and the pre-79 Honda 750s are perhaps the most sought after. Reliable, easy to work on, easily modded. Great bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
it is heavy.
i hope they make 750 similar to the weight levels of triumph street models.
I think they could shave off about half the difference by going to a smaller I-4, like a 750. The rest would require them to make some parts that are currently metal out of plastic, just as Triumph does. I'm not sure I'd want that. I actually like the heavy polished metal fenders and such.

But in the end, an I-4 (with all the associated intake and exhaust pieces) is always going to be heavier than a twin in the same displacement range. If they could come up with a 750 that got halfway to the weight of the Triumph for $1000-2000 less, which I think is easily possible, then it would be very compelling as a retro-standard bike. Makes some CAFE-style accessories available right out of the box and it would get really compelling.

Reactions: loserlazer

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, a 750 would be very compelling. They Triumphs are good looking bikes but the CB1100 seems to be much more substantial, and I assume a 750 would be, as well. Typical Honda, it is solid and refined whereas the Bonneville feels just a bit flimsy and cheap in comparison. Such a great bike, it would be a shame if Honda just did the CB1100 as a one off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
They won't make a 750 version. The reason they made it 1100 was so it 'compared/competed' with a water-cooled 750 I4. You guys seem to forget that it is an air-cooled bike.

Oh, I'd love one, but the Thai govt takes the piss with imports, so I'll wait for the 650 to arrive.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had old bikes but I'm not a retro fan - that said, when I see the 1100 I can't help but think they picked the wrong retro era: Too 80s for me. As long as your just throwing darts at past designs - either hit the right ones, or don't put the wrong ones on the wall in the first place..

·
Registered
197 Posts
Such a great bike, it would be a shame if Honda just did the CB1100 as a one off.
I don't know if it would be a one off, currently that motor is in no other bike. I couldn't see them designing and building an engine for that one model, however I don't know what else they would put it in.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I've had old bikes but I'm not a retro fan - that said, when I see the 1100 I can't help but think they picked the wrong retro era: Too 80s for me. As long as your just throwing darts at past designs - either hit the right ones, or don't put the wrong ones on the wall in the first place..
There's a Mugen version that knocked it back to the right decade beautifully. Dropped the bars, etc. But it's a bit of a large bike. For a real cafe vibe I like the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer (stripped down a bit, under 400 lbs.) and the Thruxton. There are also cheap Chinese bikes here from Cleveland Cyclewerks. We apparently won't get the Kawi W800 here but that one is pretty cool. Cafe style is huge in LA, and I wanted to go that way, but ultimately I got a sensible, reliable, and still sporty bike in the CBR500RA. Very happy I did, too. I think by the time I'm ready for a second bike, there will be some great options with ABS and other features, in a cafe package.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
407 Posts
There's a Mugen version that knocked it back to the right decade beautifully. Dropped the bars, etc. But it's a bit of a large bike. For a real cafe vibe I like the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer (stripped down a bit, under 400 lbs.) and the Thruxton. There are also cheap Chinese bikes here from Cleveland Cyclewerks. We apparently won't get the Kawi W800 here but that one is pretty cool. Cafe style is huge in LA, and I wanted to go that way, but ultimately I got a sensible, reliable, and still sporty bike in the CBR500RA. Very happy I did, too. I think by the time I'm ready for a second bike, there will be some great options with ABS and other features, in a cafe package.

An other way to look at it is: You've got a good reliable bike, now you can get an old cb and build your own cafe racer. Strip it, cut it, rewire it - if it doesn't run for a few months you don't care.

The essence of the cafe thing is a a cheap bike made to look cool. - you can't really buy it, you have to make it. Although these guys will sell you the stuff to make it better:

http://www.rycamotors.com

·
Registered
582 Posts

Rather lovely.

·
Registered
197 Posts
An other way to look at it is: You've got a good reliable bike, now you can get an old cb and build your own cafe racer. Strip it, cut it, rewire it - if it doesn't run for a few months you don't care.
That's my plan exactly. Get the CB500X in the spring, then once I get my garage settled out I'll do a nice old CB cafe build.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts

The essence of the cafe thing is a a cheap bike made to look cool. - you can't really buy it, you have to make it. Although these guys will sell you the stuff to make it better:

http://www.rycamotors.com
Completely agree. Unfortunately, time for tinkering is something I just don't have right now. But we also have some amazing custom shops here, like Chappell Customs. If my latest business endeavor pays off, it may buy me some time!

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
street triple 675 is around 180 kg wet.
Doesn't make sense to compare the CB1100 to the modern Triumphs. The comparable (Boneville) models are much heavier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts