Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've started to put together a specific toolkit for the 500 series, as the oem toolkit is lacking tools to be able to remove the wheels or adjust the chain while on tour with the 500x.
So I came down to cutting stainless steel spanners 24-17, 14-10 and 19-12 - these are the ones which are used on the bike. The rear axle needs 19 on the bolt and 24 on the nut, the 10-14 can be used as an extension to the 24 to loosen the rear axle for chain adjustment or wheel removal. 12-14 being separate one can adjust the chain adjusters, 14 and 17 are the suspension linkage, and one can use an inexpensive and light hex tool with the spanners to remove the front wheel.
As I'm running spoked wheels on the X the tool has a wheel spoke spanner (doubles as a bottle opener too ;-) and a combination part to be able to hold 10-8 and 6 mm bolts which require relative low torque. Also the 10 end of the 10-14 is open ended to allow adjustment of the gear linkage.
I'm getting a few laser cut and laser engraved for inmates from an other forum, let me know if you need a set, or would suggest any change.

I've also designed a special spanner for the head bearing nuts, so thex can be adjusted with a proper 1/2 in torque wrench.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm planning to cut them from 5mm stainless plate.

"Maybe have one with a section of appropriate measurement to work with those boots holding the levers in with the large flat blade section?"

Pardon me? I'm most probably a bit too tired, so would need an explanation please.

·
Super Moderator
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oyabun: Any thought of marketing these? I have an "F" model CB-500.

Ralph
They're also usable on the F or R, all these share the same mechanics.
It's just a hobby project for me, so not planning to build a business around it, but I'm preparing a group buy on another forum to get the laser cutters minimum cost spread.
Just to manage expectations, these are designed to be lightweight travel/trail tools - not to replace your workshop tools.
More than happy to post you a set also if you're interested.
We can discuss details in PM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts