Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm trying to decide between buying a 2019 Yamaha MT-07 or 2019 Honda CB500F ABS, and I'm struggling a bit with the decision. I'm not new to motorcycling, but I haven't been on a sportbike or standard in almost twenty years. Recently I owned a Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic cruiser, a beautiful and powerful bike but too heavy and especially too hot on summer days for me to fully enjoy it, and also more powerful than what I needed. I'm on the shorter side, around 5'6" or 5'7" with a 29" inseam and weighing ~160lbs, and it is important for me to get a bike that really fits my frame.

I sat on both bikes, and it felt like the CB500F fit me better, while I was reaching and leaning a bit more on the MT-07. Both bikes are, amazingly, available new around me for around the same price, due to big discounts on leftover MT-07s at a local dealership. Even though the Honda fits me better, I just keep thinking the MT-07 is overall a better bike, and I'll get used to the size in the longer run. Besides that, I'm concerned that maybe the CB500F won't have enough power. I don't like riding on interstates and try to avoid it, but I live in a rural area where 65 mph (~105kph) is pretty much the norm on rural roads. Perhaps the Honda will vibrate too much at this speed, but I don't want to get a bike (like my old Kawi Vulcan) where the size is never quite right for me, and I am concerned that will be the case for the Yamaha.

Based on your experience, which bike would you recommend? What else should I consider in my decision? I appreciate any helpful advice that those experienced with these bikes can offer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I test rode both bikes when the MT-07 came out and found the CB500F to be the better bike for me. I am about your size, about 1 inch taller. I had no problems with power & vibrations on the 500. I did add 1 tooth to the drive sprocket (16 tooth) and that made the bike even better. No problems with Interstate speeds. Get the Honda!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Both bikes are capable of providing you with years of enjoyable service. You'd probably be pleased enough by flipping a coin to decide. Here are a few things to consider. Also note that the CB 500 F is known for its great fuel mileage.
Yamaha MT-07 ……. Honda CB500F
Seat Height : 31.7" ……... 30.9"
Weight : 403 # ……... 415#
Fuel Capacity : 3.7 gal ……. 4.5 gal

·
Registered
126 Posts
No issues on power up to 80-85 on the cb500f with a 16T sprocket. I average 60-70 mpg(US gallon) with mine.

I think the MT looks better. But that's all I know about it.

How it fits you is probably the most important factor

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi. I'm trying to decide between buying a 2019 Yamaha MT-07 or 2019 Honda CB500F ABS, and I'm struggling a bit with the decision. I'm not new to motorcycling, but I haven't been on a sportbike or standard in almost twenty years. Recently I owned a Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic cruiser, a beautiful and powerful bike but too heavy and especially too hot on summer days for me to fully enjoy it, and also more powerful than what I needed. I'm on the shorter side, around 5'6" or 5'7" with a 29" inseam and weighing ~160lbs, and it is important for me to get a bike that really fits my frame.

I sat on both bikes, and it felt like the CB500F fit me better, while I was reaching and leaning a bit more on the MT-07. Both bikes are, amazingly, available new around me for around the same price, due to big discounts on leftover MT-07s at a local dealership. Even though the Honda fits me better, I just keep thinking the MT-07 is overall a better bike, and I'll get used to the size in the longer run. Besides that, I'm concerned that maybe the CB500F won't have enough power. I don't like riding on interstates and try to avoid it, but I live in a rural area where 65 mph (~105kph) is pretty much the norm on rural roads. Perhaps the Honda will vibrate too much at this speed, but I don't want to get a bike (like my old Kawi Vulcan) where the size is never quite right for me, and I am concerned that will be the case for the Yamaha.

Based on your experience, which bike would you recommend? What else should I consider in my decision? I appreciate any helpful advice that those experienced with these bikes can offer.
My choice was between Z650 weight felt low and balanced. Street triple overpriced focused road rocket. Mt07 quirky looks wheelie monster probably best of the bunch, poor build quality felt heavy and tall believe it or not. CB500f by far best looking good build quality does everything brilliant but only 47hp. ps squirts to 90mph without a lot of fuss, and good 2 up.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Really depends what the main factor is. A lot of my ride buddies have the MT-07 and we swap bikes regularly for squirts. I like the extra power the MT-07 has (albeit my very modified 500 now has the similar power), though it is let down quite a bit by its suspension. Out of my 7 MT buddies, 1 had the main bearings let go after only 4K kms (entire engine replaced), 2 had oil pump failure, and a fourth had electrical gremlins (ended up having the entire main loom replaced); all thankfully were warranty jobs, but still a PITA.
Every single of one of them praises how well balanced the Honda is compared to their MTs, the MT just wants to wheelie whether you want it to or not. The fuel economy is also a significant selling point, the Honda will literally travel 1.5x distance for the same fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Really depends what the main factor is. A lot of my ride buddies have the MT-07 and we swap bikes regularly for squirts. I like the extra power the MT-07 has (albeit my very modified 500 now has the similar power), though it is let down quite a bit by its suspension. Out of my 7 MT buddies, 1 had the main bearings let go after only 4K kms (entire engine replaced), 2 had oil pump failure, and a fourth had electrical gremlins (ended up having the entire main loom replaced); all thankfully were warranty jobs, but still a PITA.
Every single of one of them praises how well balanced the Honda is compared to their MTs, the MT just wants to wheelie whether you want it to or not. The fuel economy is also a significant selling point, the Honda will literally travel 1.5x distance for the same fuel.
The biggest difference is riding comfort. MT's have a more forward leaning posture which for me becomes uncomfortable after a short time. The Honda can be ridden all day not to mention it's bullet proof reliability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Honda 500s are really down on performance compared to anything in the 600 to 700 category. Also suspension and brakes are not great if you are planning on pushing the bike around any curves. Really make sure you're ok with these things.

But I've upgraded twice from my Honda 500 now to a GSX-S1000F so take my statements with a grain of salt!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Honda will work, and is comfortable, but with your experience you may be disappointed with how much power it doesn't have. I got mine new after spending several years on a N250r. I was VERY underwhelmed with it's power. The suspension, although it has seem SOME improvement, is absolute trash. Mine (2014) wouldn't even hold it's own weight with stock springs. A bit of cash and tinkering went into fixing that. You may first checkout the aftermarket to see what kind of adjustments you can make to the MT-07. Ask yourself how it would change your decision if you if you got that bike to fit you equally. I haven't ridden that one, but I believe you're compairing different classes of bike. I vote for the MT, unless you want to buy my CBR ;)

Also, if you go with the Honda, hopefully you get one that doesn't drink oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a 2017 CBR500RA and just recently hired a MT 07 for a couple of weeks while overseas. I prefer the CBR, as it handles better (the MT07 front suspension is just odd, definitely does not inspire confidence), has a lot better economy (obviously) and even looks better. The CBR has plenty of power for my needs - actually, I can't remember a time where I've thought it needs more. Just my opinion. Good luck.

I forgot to mention - I'm a 128 KG knuckle-dragger too. (y)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a 15 CB500F, to me not enough power. I got a 19 MT07, upgraded the suspension (did the same to CB500F), along with other upgrades. IMO MT07 is a better bike for me and the motor has loads of torque early in the rev range. I rip around on it and it's a blast.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I own both bikes and I take the CBR out more than 90% of the time. If depends on your requirements if you want a hooligan bike get the Yamaha if you want a comfortable bike that is smooth reliable and handles well and gets fantastic gas mileage get the Honda. Things I don't like on the Yamaha- suspension/handling sucks everything is abrupt throttle off/on abrupt brake more vibration etc. The only plus for the Yamaha is the Torque/power - much easier for passing. Neither one is great for high speed freeway riding because of lightness and short wheel base causes wind buffeting.
If you haven't got my message - I much prefer the Honda but your needs may be different.
My ideal bike would be the CBR500 with a 700cc engine

·
Registered
412 Posts
Things I don't like on the Yamaha- is abrupt throttle off/on abrupt brake more vibration etc.
My only complaint with my Yamaha R3 is the OVER engine braking with off throttle. Not usually a big deal. But when I do occasionally try a spirited ride on the back roads, the last thing I want is to feel my bike balking with an engine brake in the middle of a turn with my bike, only slightly, "laid over"...And I'm not going to pay for an ECU flash just to get rid of or tone it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question on the difference between the MT-07 handling and the newer CB500s with USD forks...has anybody ridden both and if yes, how would you compare the handling?
I realize you can increase the power of the CB and mod the MT for better handling but I am wondering about the comparison with both bikes off the showroom floor. And by "handling", I am particularly interested in how the bikes work when pushed hard in corners.
Thank You

1 - 16 of 16 Posts