Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first bike so this might be a dumb question but I was just wondering does it have a catalytic converter?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi there and yes it does....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! And thanks! So does that mean I can have it removed to gain a little performance and get a more aggressive sound? Will it mess the computer up?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
It'll mess the computer up. If you get race headers and exhaust system with a retune there will be a benefit. If not just stick with a slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok what will mess it up does it have an o2 sensor in the cat or after it? I'm just using my knowledge from trucks but as long as the o2 is before the cat the computer won't know its missing except for a small increase in flow correct?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The increase in flow will throw off the tune. That is what I have read.

Your truck will compensate for that small increase in flow. The bike will not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that makes sense because the small increase will actually be a greater percentage of total flow on the bike vs a big v8. Thanks for the knowledge, and we have to wait for the power commander to come out before we can get a tune right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
catalytic converter

I have a CB500F. If the cat is cut out, but the O2 sensor reinstalled, the PGM FI will work as normal, so long as the exhaust system is fully gas tight.

The cat is in the box at rear of the headers. I cut out the box, welded longer stainless pipes onto the headers into a 2 into 1 collector and tail pipe. The sensor was installed in the tail pipe just after the collector.

The bike runs better than before in all conditions. No noticeable increase in top speed, but acceleration definitely improved.

The PGM FI is producing a leaner mixture now, evidenced by absence of sooty coating in the muffler outlet pipe, and although I've not tried to measure it mpg is noticeably improved.

I did the conversion to produce a more 'naked' look, and certainly achieved that. The performance improvements were welcome and not unexpected additional benefits.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Don't know where you are, but no cat means defect notice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a CB500F. If the cat is cut out, but the O2 sensor reinstalled, the PGM FI will work as normal, so long as the exhaust system is fully gas tight.

The cat is in the box at rear of the headers. I cut out the box, welded longer stainless pipes onto the headers into a 2 into 1 collector and tail pipe. The sensor was installed in the tail pipe just after the collector.

The bike runs better than before in all conditions. No noticeable increase in top speed, but acceleration definitely improved.

The PGM FI is producing a leaner mixture now, evidenced by absence of sooty coating in the muffler outlet pipe, and although I've not tried to measure it mpg is noticeably improved.

I did the conversion to produce a more 'naked' look, and certainly achieved that. The performance improvements were welcome and not unexpected additional benefits.
Do you have any after pics you can share with us? So no CEL/MIL's of any kind? Thats awesome and something i'd be interested in trying out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts