Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your pics Dave!

I was after order of the wires in the plug as diagrams only showed me colors and functions and alarm side was all black wires... A friend of mine who works in the bike garage sent me some pics as well. This all together helped me figure out the wiring.

I tested my alarm and it works well. I posted my upgrade alarm plug picture in case someone needs to connect non-upgrade alarm to the upgrade plug on the bike, you will have info on how to connect it.

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/e...derseat-socket-pictures-needed.html#post30059

Best regards

Maciek

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've done some testing today and found the following.

On US bikes that connector is only two wires. They are switched 12v current. They are governed by 7.5A fuse that is labeled "OP", that does not appear to control anything else. (I've tried just about everything else on the bike). Based on this, I believe that it will be a suitable location to hook up a dual USB socket that I plan to install next week, as that only consumes about 1A. I'll still have about 5A pretty safely left over for any other minor accessories, though I have none in mind at this time.

I don't know what the extra wires are on the non-US versions.
Michael, can you clarify (I am baffled trying to translate all the quotes on this thread) which connector(s) you are speaking of when you say it is a switched 12v circuit? I am planning on installing heated grips (4 amps) and a 12v power socket and would love to minimize intrusive wiring jobs. If I can easily hack into this unused 12v circuit you are talking about, it would make life easier. Can you describe where this connector is, or what I should be looking for?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Michael, can you clarify (I am baffled trying to translate all the quotes on this thread) which connector(s) you are speaking of when you say it is a switched 12v circuit? I am planning on installing heated grips (4 amps) and a 12v power socket and would love to minimize intrusive wiring jobs. If I can easily hack into this unused 12v circuit you are talking about, it would make life easier. Can you describe where this connector is, or what I should be looking for?

Thanks
OK. On NORTH AMERICA SPEC bikes, the white connector at the rear of the underseat compartment, right in front of the rear seat latching mechanism, is switched 12v. It is controlled by the 7.5A fuse labeled "OP."

There are lots of open fuse slots. Not sure whether the unused ones are actually live, but I may at some point try to find out and see if they can be used reasonably easily.

Alternately, you can use something like this: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse Just plug it into an existing switched socket, put the original fuse in the lower space, and the fuse for your added circuit into the upper space. Available at most auto parts stores.

Reactions: Nigel-on-Bass

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK. On NORTH AMERICA SPEC bikes, the white connector at the rear of the underseat compartment, right in front of the rear seat latching mechanism, is switched 12v. It is controlled by the 7.5A fuse labeled "OP."

There are lots of open fuse slots. Not sure whether the unused ones are actually live, but I may at some point try to find out and see if they can be used reasonably easily.

Alternately, you can use something like this: Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse Just plug it into an existing switched socket, put the original fuse in the lower space, and the fuse for your added circuit into the upper space. Available at most auto parts stores.
Maybe I'm just a dummy, but how do you "use" the 2P white plug under the seat (US bike)? Did you find something that plugs into it? Do you just jam wires into it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's for diagnostics i think. Anyway it's where i plug in my Gear indicator.
Link for the plug n play gear indicator if you can?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maybe I'm just a dummy, but how do you "use" the 2P white plug under the seat (US bike)? Did you find something that plugs into it? Do you just jam wires into it?
Looks like the 2P is the 2-way plug kit found here Sumitomo HM Sealed Motorsport Connectors - Corsa Technic. I would expect the 6P option is the 6-way plug farther down the page. You may also want to order extra pins in case you have crimping problems. My service manual shows the 2P having violet/red for [email protected] fused from the ignition switch and green for ground. Wiring diagram shows that there's also an option plug up front with the lighting circuits. I have an SAE plug connected directly to the battery for my battery tender but I'll use the option plug to run my accessories so they get switched off. Just ordered a plug and a couple extra pins.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Plug and extra pins are in and checked with the bike ... It's a correct fit! A 12VDC handlebar mounted outlet is now ordered and on its way. According to what I can see on the bike and from the service manual diagrams the front option power plug is in the harness on the back side of the instrument panel/meter. Not fantastically accessible as I've had it off a couple times already and the clips don't seem to be particularly robust for repeated removals. I'll leave it alone and route the wiring under the side panels to the rear plug.

Reactions: ooreelaxoo

·
Registered
174 Posts
Reactions: ooreelaxoo

·
Registered
610 Posts
just to add, my US version 2013 cbr500ra (ac) had BOTH sides of the plastic plug (2P version male and female) under the main seat with wires going into one side and weather/dust seal caps on the other. i just ordered the appropriate crimp terminals and seals to snap into the empty plug side after i removed the blank rubber caps. i crimped the terminals to a battery tender type pigtail SAE wire and fuse set.

all i needed to order was 2 of each of these:
http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=227&category_id=107
and
http://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=351&category_id=107

the sizes you need to get will be dependent on the wires you want connected to the plug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I confirm that the previously stated information for the US CB500F is correct, I was able to duplicate the results of both ooreelaxoo and jonreese. I was even able to use the stock plug provided, crimp a wire and add it directly to the stock set up. I will post pictures later in the day.

I now run a dual usb charging set-up and couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I confirm that the previously stated information for the US CB500F is correct, I was able to duplicate the results of both ooreelaxoo and jonreese. I was even able to use the stock plug provided, crimp a wire and add it directly to the stock set up. I will post pictures later in the day.

I now run a dual usb charging set-up and couldn't be more pleased.
if possible could you please share a video tutorial?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts