Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Was having a poke around my bike today planning some USB power point around the place for my GoPro.

Anyways, found this socket to nowhere tucked away under the front seat. Anyone have any ideas what it might be used for? Gave a nice solid 12.4v with the ignition on, so thought it might be a good power source to use without having to include a relay.
Red one labelled DLC white labelled option 2P connector.
The diagram in the service manual illustrating whats under the seat is repeated 3 TIMES! once for each of the three 500 models , but its the same diagram each time .Now that I have a half hour or so to browse this service manual I am disappointed in it .It gives scant information in lots of areas and scant photos and information in illustrations . Looks like something which was thrown together in a hurry. There is a big pow wow on this forum about checking valve clearances and inserting shims. The manual would be useful here , some good information but some patchy omissions

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Anyone manage to wire up some female usb ports yet? planning to get some hooked up for a weekend trip in a week or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys,

I wonder if you can help me. I am into different model of honda bikes, but I am looking for an info on the white plug you pictured here.

Can anyone help me with colors and positions of the 5 wires coming into the white 6-pin plug?

As for your 12V accessory socket wiring question:

From what I know the red plug looks like engine ECU test equipment connector - leave it alone!

White 6-pin plug, however, is an alarm plug and it does have more you need for the job: ground (GREEN), 12V (RED/GREY - running straight from behind main battery fuse and voltage regulator - not switched off with ignition unfortunately), indicators (ORANGE and Light BLUE) and tail reg plate light (WHITE/BLACK - 5W only, switches on with ignition, but I'd not use it directly to not to overload it with higher current).

Idea: have a relay with coil connected to the ground and reg plate light pins and use the 12V pin through relay to power your 12V lighter socket. This way all you need comes out from one socket. Any info please PM me

Perhaps you could help me by providing photographs of this plastic plug showing colors of wires and their position and order in the plug. I need this to wire honda upgrade alarm to my bike which does not have such socket... Please PM me or email at vfrtoy-at-gmail-dot-com

Many thanks

Maciek

Disclaimer: Any modification to the bikes looms may result in breaking it and loosing warranty. In other words: use above info at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
DLC is diagnostics. It includes power.

2P is the type of connector. It's a standard designation for this type of 2-wire connector. Incidentally, it seems to be a 6P (six wire, five of them in use) in some locations overseas.

It is for an "option" but nobody seems to know what. I'm guessing they put it in to allow for an alarm, but no idea why it would be two wires in the US and five wires elsewhere. I tested it and it's a switched connection. No idea which fuse it goes through or how much current it can handle.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
DLC is diagnostics. It includes power.
Wrong, the diag socket has initial power when you connect something, but does not have continuous power. Spent a good 30 minutes figuring out why the multi meter showed 12.7V and when I connected my usb charge point it didn't work. Only has power for a few seconds after connecting something.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Wrong, the diag socket has initial power when you connect something, but does not have continuous power. Spent a good 30 minutes figuring out why the multi meter showed 12.7V and when I connected my usb charge point it didn't work. Only has power for a few seconds after connecting something.
Good to know. I measured and got voltage. Probably didn't touch the leads of the meter for more than a second or so.

The other one, in the US configuration anyway, seems to have switched power, but it's a different plug outside the US. US is 2P while the rest of the world seems to get a 6P.

(2P and 6P are just generic designations for 2-pin and 6-pin connectors.)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Good to know. I measured and got voltage. Probably didn't touch the leads of the meter for more than a second or so.

The other one, in the US configuration anyway, seems to have switched power, but it's a different plug outside the US. US is 2P while the rest of the world seems to get a 6P.

Its probably HISS (ignition immobilizer): ONLY the US dont get HISS (well maybe Canada as well...thats the US right? :D), the rest of the world gets HISS (along with a proper tool kit and a flash-to-pass high beam trigger haha).

Dave

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Mine is a 6p but one is empty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Bodessia,

That's right! only 5 pins are in use. That's the alarm plug. You can read descriptions of pins in my above post.

Can you please help me with order of wires in the plug?

Hand made drawing of the plug stating colors of cables would be sufficient. You could take a photo of it an post it afterwards.

Thanks in advance

Also, Guys, I would not mess with connecting anything to the diag plug. those wires come out of ECU and even if you find voltage there it may fry your engine's control unit if you shortcut it or overload. I may be wrong, but I doubt there is single fuse on the line there.

As for US (non-HISS) market, this alarm socket is really designed for upgrading bikes with immo (thatcham insurance category 2) to category 1. this factory loom does not have any immobilization circuits in it, therefore it would not be ideal to use it on non-HISS bikes. Perhaps US models dont have the plug at all?

Finally, I always wondered why on earth Honda did not make HISS a standard in the US. Any European Honda from 1999 onwards does have coded ignition. It is breakable, but at least you cannot hotwire the bike at the roadside. Besides, they need to make two different ECU types for each bike they make! What's the point?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I'm very apprehensive about posting wires and their use, could ruin someone's bike. I did post how I hooked up my usb charge point in this section somewhere

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I'm very apprehensive about posting wires and their use, could ruin someone's bike. I did post how I hooked up my usb charge point in this section somewhere
Yeah I would be same, or what ever anyone does post put the old disclaimer, What you do to your bike is up to you etc and what works for one may not work for all. I am not auto electrician carry out at your own risk! etc. lol

This goes for any modifications really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys,

All I am asking for are colors of 5 loom wires and their order in 6pin plug.

Also, in my opinion fiddling with alarm plug, which is fused, carries far less risk then messing up with diagnostic looms which some of you suggested earlier...

Bodessia, if you are so reluctant to advise on doing changes to the bikes electrics, first answer to chap who opened that thread should be: visit the authorized dealer. Forums are for sharing knowledge.

Lee, as for disclaimers, I do agree that no one without knowledge of bikes electrics should ever try to modify anything on the bike as there is a chance you will break the bike and loose the warranty. But this isnt rocket science, it's pure old fashioned electrics.

Can you help with the order of cables or not, chaps?

If you cannot just dont reply, please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gee, thanks.

That's very helpful and clever of you, Bodessia.

Put yourself in my shoes for a moment: you have an alarm with bunch of wires sticking out of it. How do you use your multimeter to distinguish which ones are to power it and which ones are indicators or wires sensing 'ignition on' all that on alarm which is numb as it does not have power connected to it yet?...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Its probably HISS (ignition immobilizer): ONLY the US dont get HISS (well maybe Canada as well...thats the US right? :D), the rest of the world gets HISS (along with a proper tool kit and a flash-to-pass high beam trigger haha).

Dave
The US don't get HISS? What's that all about then??!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It's probably not been OK'd by the lobby group called 'Insurance Companies' as it probably prevents them ripping people off in some way.
Yep, and the fact that the US seems always to get screwed with these bikes: they get a 3 piece tool kit (one of which is the fuse puller LOL) which doesn't include the rear shock adjusting spanner ROFLOL.

Dave

Reactions: NakdWhtnonABS

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I've done some testing today and found the following.

On US bikes that connector is only two wires. They are switched 12v current. They are governed by 7.5A fuse that is labeled "OP", that does not appear to control anything else. (I've tried just about everything else on the bike). Based on this, I believe that it will be a suitable location to hook up a dual USB socket that I plan to install next week, as that only consumes about 1A. I'll still have about 5A pretty safely left over for any other minor accessories, though I have none in mind at this time.

I don't know what the extra wires are on the non-US versions.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Guys,

I wonder if you can help me. I am into different model of honda bikes, but I am looking for an info on the white plug you pictured here.

Can anyone help me with colors and positions of the 5 wires coming into the white 6-pin plug?

As for your 12V accessory socket wiring question:

From what I know the red plug looks like engine ECU test equipment connector - leave it alone!

White 6-pin plug, however, is an alarm plug and it does have more you need for the job: ground (GREEN), 12V (RED/GREY - running straight from behind main battery fuse and voltage regulator - not switched off with ignition unfortunately), indicators (ORANGE and Light BLUE) and tail reg plate light (WHITE/BLACK - 5W only, switches on with ignition, but I'd not use it directly to not to overload it with higher current).

Idea: have a relay with coil connected to the ground and reg plate light pins and use the 12V pin through relay to power your 12V lighter socket. This way all you need comes out from one socket. Any info please PM me

Perhaps you could help me by providing photographs of this plastic plug showing colors of wires and their position and order in the plug. I need this to wire honda upgrade alarm to my bike which does not have such socket... Please PM me or email at vfrtoy-at-gmail-dot-com

Many thanks

Maciek

Disclaimer: Any modification to the bikes looms may result in breaking it and loosing warranty. In other words: use above info at your own risk.
I'll try to post a pic of the plug and wires over the weekend. However, I'm not clear why you are asking for them, and getting up tight about it, as you seem to clearly know what they are.

Dave

21 - 40 of 54 Posts