Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having a poke around my bike today planning some USB power point around the place for my GoPro.

Anyways, found this socket to nowhere tucked away under the front seat. Anyone have any ideas what it might be used for? Gave a nice solid 12.4v with the ignition on, so thought it might be a good power source to use without having to include a relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
That socket would be very convenient. I wonder how much power would be available. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? If you need lots of power for vest, grips etc. see this thread --- "12v aux Power".

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Why do you plug in a gear indicator in to that socket if it is for "diagnostics"? My bet is its just for power for the gear indicator...and that the plug is intended as the factory power source for the factory heated grips opton, and even sounds switched which further make me believe this.

Dave

·
Registered
521 Posts
Why do you plug in a gear indicator in to that socket if it is for "diagnostics"? My bet is its just for power for the gear indicator...and that the plug is intended as the factory power source for the factory heated grips opton, and even sounds switched which further make me believe this.

Dave
All aftermarket gear indicators that I am aware of work by being plugged into the diagnostics socket. They function by reading the diagnostics information and then doing some witchcraft with it and calculating what gear you are in. If you just feed a gear indicator a raw power source, it will just turn on but never change or anything. So I'm guessing if that socket is where people are plugging in gear indicators that are (presumably) functioning, that is almost certainly the diag socket. It may also be dual purpose and power heated grips or anything else as well though, I dont know any specifics on that

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys :) am planning on getting a gear indicator later one so i'll leave that puppy alone for now. Looks like direct battery connection and a relay it is, as Carbonado has done.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
All aftermarket gear indicators that I am aware of work by being plugged into the diagnostics socket. They function by reading the diagnostics information and then doing some witchcraft with it and calculating what gear you are in. If you just feed a gear indicator a raw power source, it will just turn on but never change or anything. So I'm guessing if that socket is where people are plugging in gear indicators that are (presumably) functioning, that is almost certainly the diag socket. It may also be dual purpose and power heated grips or anything else as well though, I dont know any specifics on that
Ha! Wow, thats waaayy more complicated than I thought those things would be. It must look at engine rpm and crank(?)rpm and then match the two to get gear ratio and hence gear. Thanks very much for that info!

Dave

Reactions: Jibbs9

·
Registered
144 Posts
i can't tell what it is but can confirm is nothing to do with heated grips, for those you have to buy a very expensive extra wiring loom.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to raise this post again however I was curious to find out if anyone had worked out what the wiring harness with the white plug just above the honda logo is for used for.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Sorry to raise this post again however I was curious to find out if anyone had worked out what the wiring harness with the white plug just above the honda logo is for used for.
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
The red plug has no power output at all. I've tried powering my wheel lights from them and had no such luck. The white plug however does have a 12v current, but it continues to supply power even when the bike is turned off.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts