Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 18' Cbr500 and it has a wet fluid that looks like oil on the left side of the bike towards the bottom. Is this a cheap fix? Bike only has like 3500 miles on it

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,235 Posts
It's possible it's not a leak but rather is from lube spraying off the front sprocket, getting on some bits like the water pump.

How often do you lube the chain and what lube do you use?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As Blackfin mentioned, could be overspray. Clean it and see if it continues. That's your water pump in the center of your photo there. Many people have reported issues with it. There's a weep hole at the bottom of it. Check there. It's a cheap easy fix. YouTube will probably have a video on it for you. Also, check your breather hoses, the tube on the bottom right of your photo. That's not your only breather hose. Check those. If it's coming from there you might be overfilled on your oil. If it's not that then you're going to have to start removing plastics and trace it to the source. Once you find it, let us know.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm looking at an 18' Cbr500 and it has a wet fluid that looks like oil on the left side of the bike towards the bottom. Is this a cheap fix? Bike only has like 3500 miles on it
It's not my bike, but a bike I'm looking at buying. Owner hasn't mentioned any maintenance that he's done but its low mileage (3k) so I'm not sure anything has been needed. I'd assume he hasn't lubed the chain since buying the bike at 1.2k miles

·
Registered
412 Posts
The chain should have been lubed several times if it has 1200 miles on the bike. The CBR500 is a great bike, but even it needs basic maintenance and love and care.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was doing some work on my bike once and I unloosened the wrong bolts on the left side rather the right side and forget to torque the left side down when I was done working. Anyway I took the bike for a ride and when I got back I was like "wow, my boot sure is shiny, just like the left one, and the right one isn't". At first I was thinking maybe I used the shifter so much that I actually shined the left boot but then I reached down touched my boot and low and behold it was oil, brown/tan, smooth not black sticky and gritty like it came off my chain.
You should probably just ask the person about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say its too much lube on chain. It flings off and dribbles onto metal at back of side stand.. i usually get it after lubing chain then going for ride...its unsightly but not bad...in winter i lube every 300 miles or once a month depending on conditions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts