Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not a motorcycle person but I got a wrecked 2016 cbr 500r and in the process of putting it on a go cart and I’m a turbo geek lol. Love anything boosted! So my question is will these motors hold boost? And how much? Before I send the internals threw the atmosphere lmao. Any help on this would be great! Always how do you get one of these things tuned?

·
Registered
702 Posts
As far as I know not many of these engines had been put on boost, so no heuristics of longevity in such conditions, but some of us are waiting for a long time for a project involving these engines and a small ihi turbocharger.
These engines have a fairly sophisticated ecu, what is totally incapable of handling boost, so I'm afraid you have to get creative on that front.
The good news is, that these are relative low compression engines compared to other motorcycles, at 10.7CR to start with, but imho the rods doesn't look like tolerating too much boost.
I'm sure that you'll have to upgrade cooling. On normally aspirated racebikes there is already a need for additional water cooler, and with an oil cooled turbo I'd definitely use an oil to water intercooler also.
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input. I’ve litterly not got much in the motor at all so I believe I’m gonna try something to see what happens. I was thinking maybe 6lbs on a very small turbo would be fun. But I’m not much of a nitrous fan but anything is possible!

·
Registered
95 Posts
In regards to the entire system, nitrous would be the easiest since you (should) be spraying fuel at the same time. You wouldn't have to worry too much about tuning since it would be such a small shot. I was thinking something like a 10hp shot would be well received.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 500 engine can push over 60rwhp (the stock is about 42-43) on stock internals, so a 10hp shot is piece of cake

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they sell aftermarket pistons and other internals for these? Is so what site is the best?

·
Registered
57 Posts
This guy has turboed a CBR500R. Based on the video, it doesn't seem like the performance gain was much at all with his setup.

I had contemplated turboing because I live at 6k feet elevation but the performance has been acceptable with my current mods and as Oyabun said, there are many other parts available to increase performance over my current setup.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I feel like that video is a poor representation of what might be possible. A stock CBR500R will do 0-100kph in something like 5-seconds. In this video I saw 12kph to 100kph take 8-seconds. There's precious little information available on the install but it seems like whatever this guy did, it was an impediment, not a boost.

With good fueling (no detonation), from a structural angle, I would think you could do 5-6 psi safely. I don't know what the intake components upstream of the intake ports would be able to take. You'd need to characterize the fuel system (pump volume and pressure regulation, fuel injector flow etc...) to make sure the end config is up to the task.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you sir. That’s exactly what I was thinking. 5 lbs or so it should be able to handle that. Also I work on cars not bikes so unfamiliar with some parts. Can anyone tell me what the chain behind the clutches is going to?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nothing to worry about. All of them are loose. That chain runs in oil, so should have no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 500 platform is not really known for performance mods. If you're in the states, I'd say contact Cameron Jones Racing. In Europe I can probably help you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts