Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm interested in buying a rear stand for my future CBR500R.

How can I install the needed Swingarm pick-up knobs onto the bike for the stand to clip on to?

And any advice on rear stands? Brands?

I'm new to bikes and the Honda will be my first. I have heard that having a rear stand is handy for home maintenance, oil changes, etc.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A rear stand will be helpful for chain maintenance and tire swaps, too.
Spools look cool, and they certainly make lifting quick, which is likely more important for those who must work on the bike often than it is for most of us typical riders. However, getting spools that fit can be a pain. For example, some of the ones that came out early for the CBR250R interfered with the ABS sensor, i think. also, the not-yet-available spools from R&G (which are known to make good stuff), while they won't interfere with the ABS sensor, look to be secured by the axle bolt. How would you remove the rear wheel with this on? There are rear stands that have inward-facing pegs that lift by contact with the underside of the swing arm. This can open up your options for which stand to get.
I have this one:
Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands & Accessories: Forward Handle Rear, Standard

These might be a little pricey, but the build quality is great.
This model has a forward handle that allows me to lift the bike easily when I'm alone, with no worries of the bike tipping. Of course, with practice, I suspect the normal rear-handled stands can be operated alone as well. Someone else should comment on that. Another thing I like about the forward handle is that it isn't sticking out the back for me to trip on, and I can lift the bike without needing too much space behind the bike. The top plate is replaceable, and you can get the lift-peg ones shown with the stand in this link or ones for spools, shown at the bottom. If you know you have spools that work, then they sell this stand with the spool-fitting top plates on already instead. Saves you 15 usd. Just go to their link for all there rear stands; there other links are for certain model bikes. Search ebay for these in OZ perhaps, to see if you can find cheap shipping.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That Oxford set is great. I have the rear stand and that alone cost me $100, and a mate just bought that set on sale. Sweet.

Dave

Reactions: Old Dog

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's bizarre. The link is working fine for me. Does just plain ol'
Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands-Motorcycle Accessories
work for you?

Here it is without the fancy whateveritis this site does to links when put into initial posts (edits don't seem to display links the same; maybe there's something to that).

http://www.pit-bull.com

In "Motorcycle Stands" just use the top two links for rear stands and front stands. The "One Armed Stands" link goes to more specialized applications, it seems.

Might have to find through another vendor like MotorcycleSuperstore.com

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have an Abba stand lol no it doesnt sing! Motorcycle Stands - Abba Stands, UK

Used it every bike from Ducati 748 to very heavy Yamaha MT-01 (250kg+ fully loaded) still easy to lift up its like a bolt centre/main stand only thing you cant do is remove swingarm.
They sell bike specific kits to fit each bike.

·
Registered
223 Posts
R&G racing list cbr500r specific 'cotton reels' on their website:

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Honda/CBR500R/2013.aspx

As far as a paddock stand goes a cheap ebay one is probably sufficient for maintenance purposes.
or if you want to spend more peter stevens has them listed (searched for paddock):
paddock - Peter Stevens

I'm down for a set of these when we can get them in the states !!!
Will make cleaning & lubing the chain every 300 miles so much easier

I could flip the holders on my Pit Bull but there's not much for the rubber feet to grab on the CBR500 swing arm (easy for stand to slip towards front of bike & finally come off the stand)

Reactions: jb19264

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm down for a set of these when we can get them in the states !!!
Will make cleaning & lubing the chain every 300 miles so much easier

I could flip the holders on my Pit Bull but there's not much for the rubber feet to grab on the CBR500 swing arm (easy for stand to slip towards front of bike & finally come off the stand)

Can someone confirm if using a pit bull rear stand with the swing arm attachment works for the cbr500r? Thinkin of purchasing a pit bull but would like to make sure it works first.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you mean the rubber-coated pegs, yes. There is plenty of adjustability there (but note that I don't have the dual purpose top brackets; mine are single purpose pegs as in the second photo above, without the spool hooks). I have my rear stand set up to work with both the 500R and my wife's 250R (which is about an inch or so narrower. As much as I would prefer spools, it would be a slightly bigger pain, because I'd have to keep changing the width. With the rubber pegs, I don't. Still, I could just make some markings on the bracket and switching would be quick and easy.

When I get home today, perhaps I will measure the swingarm width and height of both bikes, among other things, to see if maybe the 250 Yosh spools and their hardware would work on the 500. That would be sweet.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Note that the rubber feet hold ok, but they're not as stable as spools would be. Some forward slippage is possible if you push hard enough.
If you can get spools now, even ones like the R&G that don't allow rear wheel removal, you could get those and the rear stand for spool-equipped bikes and then get new, more functional spools later on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool, While you are measuring your swing arm can you measure the length of the rubber peg? I'm planning to go pick one of these stands up from a local craigslist a few hrs away from me this weekend. It's got the dual purpose pegs. Darn Honda for not including a simple way of installing spools. Anyone think we could just drill and tap an appropriate sized hole into the swing arm? It might be hollow though.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Anyone think we could just drill and tap an appropriate sized hole into the swing arm? It might be hollow though.
I'm sure it is hollow.

You could drill a hole all the way through the swing-arm.
Use a bolt with a nylock-nut on the back side.
You could put the hole/spool anywhere you wanted it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i'm going to guess it probably doesn't affect it too much. if you drill it in the center and due to the size of the hole only needing to be big enough to fit a 8-10mm bolt it should be fine. if you drill it very close to the edge and the swing arm experiences a twisting load i could see it causing damage there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Cool, While you are measuring your swing arm can you measure the length of the rubber peg?
The rubber pegs are about 38 mm long, and 35 mm of that is useable (the red caps on the riser plates are about 1.5 mm thick, I reckon).

As for the swingarm measurement comparison between the 500 and 250, they have the same width (about 30 mm od), but the 500's is much taller (70 mm vs 61 mm), so the Yosh spool hardware (replaces the stock end cap) for the 250 won't work for this bike. I'm not surprised, given the weight difference, but still :(

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Can someone confirm if using a pit bull rear stand with the swing arm attachment works for the cbr500r? Thinkin of purchasing a pit bull but would like to make sure it works first.
Here's a pic of my 500 on my forward-handle pit bull

image.jpg

1 - 20 of 72 Posts