Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Ive been riding for 5+ years but had to sell my last bike when I moved. Ive missed riding Ever since I’ve had to sell it. (2006 zx-6r).

However, I found a craigslist ad for a 2014 CBR 500R and figured it would be a nice, fun commuter bike and something to putz around on. This bike is clean. No noticeable leaks (maybe it’s too clean because they had to wipe away all the leaks), no scratches or dents. The only thing that slightly worries me is it’s had two owners, the last one garaged it for over a year, and only has 6500 miles. I need to ask how he stored it because I’m also worried about the gas gelling in the tank and lines. I’ll admit I’m a pretty paranoid person and am having difficulty differentiating between gut instinct and paranoia. Does this raise concerns to anyone else? I realize 500s can sometimes be thought of as beginner bikes and maybe that’s why; that both owners wanted to upgrade??

I haven’t bought a bike in a couple years and was wondering if anyone had advice to ensure I don’t get stuck with a dud. on a related note, does the 2014 cbr500r have any Achilles heels I should know about and watch for? Bad clutch? Bad electrical? Fuel pump failures after 20k?
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much are you paying for the bike?

Look for common things like do a solid walk around to see any signs of damages or leaks

If you feel confident, take the bike for a ride with the permission of the owner and make sure you can shift up/down through all gears

I would pay attention to the battery given the age of the bike

And being conpletely selfish i am selling my 2018 cbr500r - check it out here 2018 Honda CBR500R Street/Track Ready! Clean Title! $6000 -...

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've owned two 2014 cbr500r's (gave one to my daughter), and one of them had a tendency to miss a shift once in a while. They made some un-specified changes to the shift mechanism in later models and this may have been the reason. The other bike has almost 60,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello,

Ive been riding for 5+ years but had to sell my last bike when I moved. Ive missed riding Ever since I’ve had to sell it. (2006 zx-6r).

However, I found a craigslist ad for a 2014 CBR 500R and figured it would be a nice, fun commuter bike and something to putz around on. This bike is clean. No noticeable leaks (maybe it’s too clean because they had to wipe away all the leaks), no scratches or dents. The only thing that slightly worries me is it’s had two owners, the last one garaged it for over a year, and only has 6500 miles. I need to ask how he stored it because I’m also worried about the gas gelling in the tank and lines. I’ll admit I’m a pretty paranoid person and am having difficulty differentiating between gut instinct and paranoia. Does this raise concerns to anyone else? I realize 500s can sometimes be thought of as beginner bikes and maybe that’s why; that both owners wanted to upgrade??

I haven’t bought a bike in a couple years and was wondering if anyone had advice to ensure I don’t get stuck with a dud. on a related note, does the 2014 cbr500r have any Achilles heels I should know about and watch for? Bad clutch? Bad electrical? Fuel pump failures after 20k?
Thanks
All good advice hear. Search on the forum heading (Looking to buy) there some recent posts on this subject. Good luck in finding a bike, these are cracking bikes to own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice! I’m going to go ahead and buy it. I think it’ll be a good bike to have as a commuter and some joy riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts