Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Ive been looking around this forum for a couple weeks and decided to just make the account already. Im really new to motorcycles. Never ridden a sport bike before only a honda rebel that was used in my MSF course.

Im just really interested in the 500r and whenever i go to a honda dealership here in Fresno i cant help but get nervous about getting the cbr500r or a ninja 300. I know there is a 300vs500r comparison thread here and all over the web but i feel most are just biased people sticking to their brand.

Now, I got some questions about the 500r before i make the leap into motorcycle euphoria.

What is the actual HP of it in the US? Is it really still limited to the euro standards or is it uncapped to the engines full potential to more than 47 hp at the crank?

What makes wave style breaks on the cbr500 better?
Is the all digital display easy to get use to? ( i think i like the hybrid displays better but idk im a noob)
Can it go from 0-60 fairly easy compared to a 250 or 300?

Im gonna do a lot of commuting and city riding since this will be my main means of transportation, Is the "better low end torque" that ive heard about better for city?

Thanks a lot to whoever takes the time to help me. Im sorry for the essay im a writer and love soaking up new info.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can't answer all your Q's but as for brakes my dealer commented that they are much bigger on the 500 compared too the ninja 300.
For city riding low end torque is gods gift, way less gear changing and the power is always there when zipping between cars and into little gaps in traffic, and when lane changing/overtaking.
After spending some time on a 500 I think that's it's main purpose is to be a great city bike, IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. you popped the, First person to reply to me, cherry! I felt like the low end torque would do something like that i just didnt realize it would make such an impact. Is your 500 the normal red or ABS version?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mines the abs version, thought it might be a good idea being a new road bike rider.
Lol at the " popping cherry comment", was my pleasure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome i plan on getting the abs version as well. just watched an ABS vs non ABS video when hard braking over water, extra 500 seems easily worth it. I plan on taking the 500r and ninja 300 on a test ride within a week but im alread guessing which one ill like more :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can't comment on the US HP.. I'd imagine someone would need to throw one on a dyno to actually confirm, and most people will still be running theirs in at this stage.

The wave style brakes just add some extra surface area to the disk and different air flow for brake cooling. Very similar to what cross drilling does.
Also with the brakes on the 500, it's worth noting they're actually mounted to the rim spokes, no the axle. That essentially gives it more centrifigal strength than axle mounted, and also means a smaller lighter axle can be used.

I guess these improvements together meant that they could avoid going dual disc brakes which you normally see once heading over the 50hp / 500cc mark.

The torque of the 500 is awesome. I'm using mine as a commuter as well, i've got about 30klms of traffic to get through each way to and from work. Can just go with the flow in 3rd/4th with no real problems, and from about 3500rpm it seems to pull without any problems at all. On my 250, i was using pretty much every gear constantly, the 500 is a lot less work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that braking system makes a lot of sense now. So thank you. The fact that i wouldnt have to change gears a lot seems awesome. Would you also know a reason why the 500s tires (being bigger sizes than the ninja 300s) are better other than having more surface area for better traction or stability?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I find the wider tyres come more into play in cornering. Usually wider tyres are more rounded if you were to look at a cross-section. So when you're leant over on a corner, there's more tyre there to have a flat footprint on the ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems legit. Have you found the all digital display to be easy to read night n day? Is the tachometer being basically some black bars going left and right easy to see while riding?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Awesome i plan on getting the abs version as well. just watched an ABS vs non ABS video when hard braking over water, extra 500 seems easily worth it. I plan on taking the 500r and ninja 300 on a test ride within a week but im alread guessing which one ill like more :D
This is probably the best thing to do, as on the 500 site people will say the 500 is better and on the ninja 300 they will say that is better. If you take both out for a test drive then you can decide which one you prefer riding and that's what really matters

·
Registered
103 Posts
I personally found the ninja 300 to be a bit too small for me the handlebars are much more narrow as well. The 500 feels Luke a full size bike if you go easy on the throttle at first you should be fine with it the power delivery is quite smooth exhaust is quieter than I expected as well.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Felix, you Wiley coyote, congrats on your new ride. Looks like this new forum is going to be old home week with all the former 250 riders

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally, got my baby today :)

Hello all, Im truly, extatic with my, new cbr 500 R. I still, love my 250 r, however the 500 R is, my new #1 Yee ha, yippy Kye eh :)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
What is your best description of the CBR500R vs your old 250R. Miss anything on the 250R? Or is the 500R better in everyway?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts