Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to install LED blinkers on the front of my 2015 cbr500R, I started messing around with it and might of touched the 2 live wires together and now my stock blinkers stay on all the time on the front, turn off when I turn the signal switch on for left or right and the rear blinkers do not work. replaced relay, no blown fuses, headlight and horn on switch still work. only thing I can seem to find is I messed up the combination meter/speedo. However everything else on the meter/speedo works as it should. I really have no idea what it could be any help would be very helpful.

(hoping its not combination meter/speedo as they are expensive as crap.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Touching the 2 live wires together will not harm anything (as long as it was the live wires not the ground wire and a live wire!!), so don't worry about that. To address your front indicator issue first. I would suggest disconnecting the LED indicators and reconnecting the original indicators and see if the indicators work correctly (front & rear). This way we know the issue is due to the LED indicators and not another fault (bad relay, blown fuse, etc).

I am thinking you have blown the indicator circuit fuse, this why the rear indicators do Not light up, and I think you have connected the front indicator wire to the driving light wire, which is why the front lights up all the time!! The front stock indicator lights have 3 wires, a ground wire, a driving light wire and an indicator light wire. I suspect your new indicator bulbs only have 2 wires (a ground wire and a Indicator wire (No driving light wire)) and you have connected the indicator wire in the bulb to the driving light wire on the bike wiring harness, so the indicator lights just come on and stay on with the ignition (as a driving light would). If this is correct, try disconnecting the indicator live wire and re-connecting it to the 3rd (unused) wire on the front indicator plug and see if the indicators no longer light up when the ignition is turned on. If I am correct,. the indicators will still not light up when you press the indicator switch as I think you have a blown fuse in the indicator circuit, so we need to find the fuse. I will try and find the manual and tell you where the fuse is located.

Once we find the bad fuse, I suspect the indicators will then light up, but will NOT flash, the standard flasher relay requires the bulbs to draw a certain amount of current before the relay flashes, because you have replaced the front bulbs with LED (LED's use a lot less current than a conventional light bulb) there will not be a sufficient current drawn for the relay to flash, so I think you will need to buy an LED flasher relay, but lets get to the point where all the indicators light up correctly when you push the indicator switch. Then I can explain how to purchase the correct flasher relay.

Regards Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply Gary. I’m pretty sure it’s not a blown fuse and i actually have a LED blinker relay already installed (which is brand new and installed after touching wires together) I also put my stock blinkers back on and still have the problem.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you for the reply Gary. I’m pretty sure it’s not a blown fuse and i actually have a LED blinker relay already installed (which is brand new and installed after touching wires together) I also put my stock blinkers back on and still have the problem.
so my first question, if you are using an LED flasher relay, are you sure the pin connection is the same on the LED relay as the original relay? The ones that I have used have been different so I had to swap 2 wires going to the relay before it worked correctly. I am looking at a 2015 model, so yours might have different colored wires if it's a different year. If you look at the flasher relay, there are 4 wires, the relay operates both the indicators and the hazard lights, the 4 wires are
1) Grey wire - goes to indicator switch (connects to left or right indicator bulb after switch)
2) Green wire - ground (connects to battery negative terminal)
3) red wire with white tracer - 12V supply to the relay (is fed via a 7.5 Amp fuse which also supplies the clock)
4) red wire with purple tracer - 12V supply for hazard operation

I would suggest unplugging the flasher relay and then turn on your ignition, connect a voltmeter between the negative battery terminal and the red/white wire (make sure you have 12 volts), then also connect the voltmeter between the battery negative terminal and the red/purple wire and also make sure you have 12 volts), If you don't have 12 volts on the red/white wire or the red/purple wire then you need to find the failed fuse (the red/white wire is fed by a 7.5A fuse marked clock/turn and the red/purple wire is fed by a 7.5A fuse marked tail/stop/horn. If you do have 12 volts on both wires then push the indicator switch to the left or right to start the indicators flashing (nothing will happen as you have unplugged the flasher relay), then find a piece of wire and connect the red/white wire (3 above) to the grey wire (1 above), you should see the front and rear indicators on the side that you selected light up, if this happens then the bulbs are good and the wiring is good, the problem has to be with your relay or the way it is connected.
Please try this and let me know what happens..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts