Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Bike won't start.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RalphG 
#1 ·
I have a Honda CBR 500R. The bike has electrical power coming through it, and the starter is cranking but the engine is not starting. Is it a spark plug problem or could there be a more serious underlying problem?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. If you type in non start you will see all manner of information. If that's no use you can come back to us and we will help you sort it. My bet is you will get a reply from a member shortly. In most cases it's either bad fuel, a battery fault or the neutral switch.

#3 ·
We need more info -
How long have you had bike?
Did you just make ANY changes to it just before the problem started?
Is this a recent / new problem?
How many times did you attempt to start bike?
Year of the bike?
Post these answers and we can go from there.

#4 ·
I have had it for 2 years and it hasn't given me any problems till recently. It started taking more and more attempts to start and the day I was planning on taking it to the shop it did not start at all. It is a 2016 with about 15k miles on it. And I did not make any changes to it.

#5 ·
2016 and its the original battery ?
Time for a new battery!!
Even though it might measure 12.5 volts or better, the ability to supply amps (power) to crank that engine over is diminished each year.
Either have it load tested but if it is the original - replace it.

#6 ·
You need three things in the right amount to start. Air, fuel and spark. with the CBR you need to take the tank off to check if you have spark and fuel to the injectors (or carby if you have an older model). Not sure how mechanically savvy you are but either get yourself a service manual and follow the instructions or take it to a garage to get fixed.

#7 ·
I've been experiencing the same, but the bike has a 6 month old battery and turns over well. Sometimes it'll just crank and not fire up, other times it'll start first pop.

Going through a bunch of old threads here, one thing that kept coming up was the neutral indicator switch - it sounds like over time it wears down. Easy way to tell if this is your issue - hold the clutch in when starting up. If this yields a quick start every time (as it has with me) then it's likely to be the issue. Must be a fault of the design, luckily new ones are only $10-25. That said, if holding the clutch in doesn't help, then going through the fuel, compression, spark checklist is probably your best bet.

#8 ·
I may have missed it, but I didn't see reference to hearing the fuel pump come on when the key is turned to "ON". If there is no whirring sound from the pump, there's your problem. It may the fuel pump relay in that case. Please let us know how this resolves.
Ralph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.