Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month I tried to start my bike and the power came on fine, but when I went to start it, it didn't have enough juice to start and the deash would flicker and go out when I tried to start it. Luckily I have a portable battery jumper and with that hooked up it started right up and I was able to go out on a ride. Next time I went to ride same issue, I figured it was the battery getting old so I bought a new one and it worked great for one day, then next time I went to ride after the battery replacement I ran into the same issue. I am not sure what the issue is an would love some advice on where to start to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A motorcycle uses about 10A of current to make the ignition work and light the headlight & taillight.

When the charging circuit is not working, the battery can supply that much power for an hour or 2.
That sounds like your problem.

The stator makes AC electricity, rectifiers convert the AC to DC, and a voltage regulator keeps the voltage from being to high (about 14.5 v max). Any of these components can fail as well as their connectors.

So, get a multimeter and learn how to use it. Get your bike's service manual and learn the specs for these components.

Go to Electrosport and learn how all this works and how to repair the problem.
Technical Resources

Ride safely

·
Registered
409 Posts
Was your new battery fully charged to start with?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Agreed was new battery fully charged when you installed it?
AND have you added any new electrical thing?
Could be a drain on the battery when off or the charging system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heated grips can cause this problem if wired up directly to the battery and they develop a fault (or left on), disconnect EVERYTHING from the battery but the bikes connections, re-charge the battery and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts