Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I have a 2017 CB300 abs bike. We are Canadians, and stored it at our winter home in Arizona in March 2020, as we had to return to Canada from AZ due to COVID. Before we left, I removed the battery, thought I filled the fuel, and added fuel stabilizer. We were expecting to return to AZ in the fall of 2020. Due to the US-Canadian border closure, we were unable to return to AZ until this week, hence a 20 month period.

The battery would not take a charge, so bought a new one. Bike started up after that and ran well at an idle. The fuel level was only a bit more than half a tank. When I twisted the throttle, some hesitation before it would speed up. I am thinking a fuel issue, and plan on topping the tank with 91 octane and adding Seafoam. I rode the bike around our RV park, but not licensed, so can’t yet take it on the highway.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Adding Seafoam or other fuel system cleaner is a good idea. But it may take more than 1 tankful.
I often rotate between Seafoam and Techron since they are much different chemical solutions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its been sitting awhile - that's all.
When I start my bikes up after a 6 month over winter storage they all have a few things to work out before all is well.
Burn up that tank and I'd guess all will be fine.
Don't sweat it!

·
Registered
193 Posts
You were lucky. Usually, when a vehicle is standing a long time (20 months IS a long time, the gasoline starts to turn into a "gel" and this clogs the tiny orifices in carburetors and injectors. I would siphon as much gas from the tank as possible. Then put in fresh regular unleaded and Sea Foam/Chevron. After a tankful or two, it should run fine. If there is any missing or hesitation, removal of the injectors for ultrasound cleaning likely will be necessary.

Bikes put away for more than a few months will well be served with a few ounces of Sta-Bil mixed with fresh gas. Batteries should be on a Battery Tender to save them when not used for some time.

Ralph

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were lucky. Usually, when a vehicle is standing a long time (20 months IS a long time, the gasoline starts to turn into a "gel" and this clogs the tiny orifices in carburetors and injectors. I would siphon as much gas from the tank as possible. Then put in fresh regular unleaded and Sea Foam/Chevron. After a tankful or two, it should run fine. If there is any missing or hesitation, removal of the injectors for ultrasound cleaning likely will be necessary.

Bikes put away for more than a few months will well be served with a few ounces of Sta-Bil mixed with fresh gas. Batteries should be on a Battery Tender to save them when not used for some time.

Ralph

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I licensed the bike so that I could ride it. I filled it with gas and added Seafoam. I rode it 70 miles and no issues. A cold start results in some hesitation when twisting throttle, but maybe that is the way it was before. Again, no hesitation when riding. I will run a few tanks with Seafoam and look for a Chevron station with Techron.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts