Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 2013 CBR500R with around 11k miles. It sat for a couple of months before today. I came to start it and it started on the first crank without any issue at all.

I later took it to a wash, and did not use a lot of pressure. I turned the ignition key on to leave, when the cluster briefly came on and then shut off. I tried turning the key on and off but the cluster doesn't come on, fuel pump doesn't prime and starter motor won't engage.

I checked all the fuses to see if they were blown but they were fine. I blow dried everything under the seat. I connected it to a jump starter and started it. It worked and engine turned on. As soon as I removed the jumper cable, the engine shut off. I don't think it is a blown battery since it started on the first crank in the morning. Do you think it's an alternator problem and that the battery is not charging as the engine is running?

Thanks in advance for all your help! Please advise.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Since it started and ran with jumper cables on... Doubtful there's any problem other than a loose connection. Keep it simple and try not to over-think things. Try taking the leads off, clean, and reinstall the leads at the battery.... before you worry about anything else. If that doesn't help, check the battery's full charged. I'm pretty sure it's not the OEM battery since it's a 2013. If it is, it's well over replacement time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep if you have not replaced battery yet - its time!
There such a thing as sudden battery death.
Have had it happen on two cars, and a bike once.
Battery good, and then wont start at all without any warning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts