Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
What will you do then 75 in first gear lol. I have just fitted my 43t rear and love it. We don't have those big old freeways like you, it's mostly short and squirt. Anyway value for money JT sprockets are pretty good. If they are available near you

·
Registered
1 Posts
if i were you first check if the 17t sprocket wil fit without the need to remove the steel plate thats between the plastic cover and the motor housing. And if it does seem to be neccisary to remove it, would you take that risk? Would you please reoport your findings?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The steel "case guard" must temporarily be removed, per posts on this forum which also include directions re how to grind off just enough case guard metal in front of the sprocket so the larger sprocket will clear the case guard. It's not difficult and the case guard retains its protective presence.

Ralph

·
Registered
15 Posts
The steel "case guard" must temporarily be removed, per posts on this forum which also include directions re how to grind off just enough case guard metal in front of the sprocket so the larger sprocket will clear the case guard. It's not difficult and the case guard retains its protective presence.

Ralph
Quite a bit more metal needs to be removed than you might think at first. I would start by clamping the guard in a vise and using an angle grinder. Finish it by hand with a half round file.

What you DON'T want is for the guard to clear the rollers, but sit between the chain plates. Anytime you get a little slack in the chain, it will brush against the guard. You'll definitely hear it. downshift chirp chirp The downside of doing it the way I did was that I found this out and had to tear it all apart again to do more filing.

It is worth the effort. Super smooth, and you can run significantly shorter or taller gearing than stock depending on your rear sprocket choice. Chain/sprocket wear are also much reduced with the 17t compared to a 16t.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What will you do then 75 in first gear lol. I have just fitted my 43t rear and love it. We don't have those big old freeways like you, it's mostly short and squirt. Anyway value for money JT sprockets are pretty good. If they are available near you
17/43 works out to almost exactly the same ratio as 16/41. But it's smoother, quieter, and all the parts last longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts