Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Recently passed my mod 2 and I’m now out and about on my 2017 CBR500R, still has its stock exhaust on it at the moment but I was wondering what the best exhaust would be to put on it 😁

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lightest, Least Expensive and with 3 different sound options is the Coffman's Shorty available in different tip colors may be a good alternative Rogers very good choice, the LV Corsa. Pick the one you like the looks of best and you can not go wrong! Run it with or without the baffle. I run it with the inner tip with the baffle removed by drilling out the rivets.

to

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
I believe sound is highly down to personal preference. If the "best" means best performance l, so far my dyno measurements show that the Spark Titanium full exhaust is giving the best performance, and it is also the lightest full system. Available.
This is probably the reason why TenKate motorsport which built the official Euroepean junior cup bikes is still selling these.
Personally I don't like these shorty exhausts, and as per dyno measurements they are hurting performance.
Of course if your preference and understanding of "best" is actually cheaper and loudest - then they are fitting that requirement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Black Widow 350mm Slash Cut exhaust on mine now. Would have loved to have the SC-Project for my cbr500r, but it is twice the price and from a random european supplier that I found after hours of scouring the internet. Ps I'm in the UK 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Black Widow 350mm Slash Cut exhaust on mine now. Would have loved to have the SC-Project for my cbr500r, but it is twice the price and from a random european supplier that I found after hours of scouring the internet. Ps I'm in the UK 👍
Hi
I just got the sc project oval for my 2019 model off official website. I am in the UK too. They ship for 13 euro.
Though the baffle is welded on.. So if u want best sound, it might not be it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
I just got the sc project oval for my 2019 model off official website. I am in the UK too. They ship for 13 euro.
Though the baffle is welded on.. So if u want best sound, it might not be it.
Hi,
That's great! How do you like the sound of it? Do you find it better in person than when heard in youtube clips? As I have only heard them on youtube clips, and found SC Project to sound the best to me on those clips. My Black Widow is nice but not as good in my opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
That's great! How do you like the sound of it? Do you find it better in person than when heard in youtube clips? As I have only heard them on youtube clips, and found SC Project to sound the best to me on those clips. My Black Widow is nice but not as good in my opinion
I am not impressed yet with the baffle still in. I had an Akrapovic with my old cbr250r before, way more satisfying sounds even with baffle in.
The sc project is just a bit lower than the original. But not deep enough in my opinion.
Hopefully I will find a way to take the baffle out, it's currently locked in with a welded nut... Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use an Akrapovic on my 2017F with Db killer in place as I am rather noise intolerant. I saved 11# of weight with this conversion. Bike down to around 405# and that will drop by another 6-8# when a battery change to a Shorai occurs. The Akrapovic has lasted well for almost 2 years and over 5K miles.

Ralph

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not impressed yet with the baffle still in. I had an Akrapovic with my old cbr250r before, way more satisfying sounds even with baffle in.
The sc project is just a bit lower than the original. But not deep enough in my opinion.
Hopefully I will find a way to take the baffle out, it's currently locked in with a welded nut... Will keep you posted!
I'm sorry to hear that there's a welded nut in the way of you removing the baffle. I've heard some deep thundering exhausts on cbr125's and cbr250's and I'm just like, "But how did you do that?" Haha. I'm almost certain that the SC will be deep enough if/when you're able to get that baffle out of it 😁😁👍
Thank you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use an Akrapovic on my 2017F with Db killer in place as I am rather noise intolerant. I saved 11# of weight with this conversion. Bike down to around 405# and that will drop by another 6-8# when a battery change to a Shorai occurs. The Akrapovic has lasted well for almost 2 years and over 5K miles.

Ralph
I suppose around 3-3.5kg is a good weight saving for an exhaust. I dare not fit a new battery to my 500, nor recommend to do so for anyone else. The battery that comes with them can go for months without being started and still bring the bike back to life, I'm very impressed by it. I have an expensive light battery in my drz400s, because less weight on that bike makes more of a difference as it's much lighter than the 500 I have in the first place. So a greater percentage of weight is saved on the drz400s, than would be on my 500. Plus on the cbr500r, I find the weight to be so low down that it doesn't need to be lighter. The best mods in the past year that I've had done are Hel Performance Brake lines (non braided, just oem replacement), some good brake pads, and yss fork springs with putoline hxp r fork oil actually make it perform everywhere like a bigger bike. I have road a Honda Super Blackbird 1100 164bhp, Kawasaki Z650 at 67hp, and a Honda Hornet 600 at 105bhp. My 2018 Z650 had brakes as good as the 1000cc superbikes I used to ride with, so trust me when I say I know what good braking is. I have tried a 2018 CB500F, and found the standard brakes to be awful and the ergo's be a bit cramped for me and the seat was less comfortable..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wilko, when you get to be an old (84) frail (134#) rider, you will appreciate better the importance of weight reduction (of the bike, no longer the rider!).

Agree with you re the ergos, as delivered, but my '17 F model has the best brakes of any of my 84 bikes before it. I was quite astonished and pleased with the power and linear engagement of both brakes. Maybe my light weight makes the brakes seem better than they may be for a heavier rider.

Ralph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi
Recently passed my mod 2 and I’m now out and about on my 2017 CBR500R, still has its stock exhaust on it at the moment but I was wondering what the best exhaust would be to put on it 😁
my only experience is what I have on my own but my 2 brothers slip on gives a nice growl and looks amazing but as with most it only gives a nominal hp bump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wilko, when you get to be an old (84) frail (134#) rider, you will appreciate better the importance of weight reduction (of the bike, no longer the rider!).

Agree with you re the ergos, as delivered, but my '17 F model has the best brakes of any of my 84 bikes before it. I was quite astonished and pleased with the power and linear engagement of both brakes. Maybe my light weight makes the brakes seem better than they may be for a heavier rider.

Ralph
I'm 29 and not as light as I was three years ago let's say. As a young gun, I would like to go to experience/training schools like Supermoto Schools and Ice Riding Experiences etc. To improve and broaden my abilities :)

Am glad to here that you feel the brakes are great underneath you on that bike. Since I've modified my cbr version's brake system, I feel like it stops better than the Super Blackbird ever did..
The newer model F version like yours I found to have better stock braking than my cbr older version originally had 👌👍

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
In my not so humble opinion the stock exhaust is the best. Not kidding. It was designed by Honda engineers for this purpose. It's quiet and it performs perfectly for the stock bike. Loud exhausts don't save lives because in traffic you won't hear it until it's too late anyway, even if it's a straight exhaust on a Harley Davidson. I know that from cager experience. The stock system is also plenty loud when you're sitting next to it at 4000+ RPM. Save your money. It doesn't add any value whatsoever.

As for looks, my stock exhaust is now scratched all to **** from my recent flop. But I have no plans to change it or try to repair it. It still WORKS fine. If you want to invest in looking better go to the gym. The girls will be more impressed with your body mods than anything you do to the bike aside from riding it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
And ironically electric vehicles will probably be safer when it comes to noise.

The big problem with exhausts as a safety feature is they face in the opposite direction of those you want to make aware of your presence, while required artificial noise for electric vehicles is projected forwards, specifically targeting where it needs to be heard.

Artifiicial noise also means they can use particular frequencies that we hear and locate more clearly, so they can be quieter yet effective. While the deep sounds of exhausts are on frequencies which are harder to locate, and that is before accounting for that people in front are hearing the echos of the sound being reflected forwards.

You have to get relatively close to someone in front for them to be able to clearly hear the sound and recognize the presence. And so if you come race up and a driver hears a sudden loud noise then you instead risk spooking them and them doing something erratic.

It is obviously different on a bike to a nice sealed box, with the road and wind noise, but when a fast biker races up and overtakes me, the sort of riders who favour loud exhausts, the first time I hear them is when they are in my blind spot and then off into the distance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts