Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So after my fall, the damage was done. My left bar end is bent and I am trying to replace it. It's more of the issue of how do I remove the bent screw that is difficult to take out right from the start. In the pics attached, you can see my dilemma. I got it to barely move with my own strength and my power drill is not doing much. I do not have an impact driver and I feel like if I were to use the mechanical advantage of an impact tool, it might just end up stripping the screw.

Please provide some advice anything will help.

Thank you :)
Tire Vehicle Auto part Carbon Automotive wheel system
Vehicle Bicycle part Auto part Carbon Mountain bike
Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive tire
Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Metal

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would say leave it alone, but that would worry me no end if it were my bike. I would try an impact screw driver and either loosen the bolt or break it off. Odds are it'll loosen with no problems. If it breaks, hopefully you be able to remove the damaged bar end over the bolt and have enough of a nub to attach channel lock pliers to remove the rest. It's possible the inner workings are damaged, but you won't know until you get the bar end off. Bad luck with fall. Good luck that no other damage you couldn't take care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say leave it alone, but that would worry me no end if it were my bike. I would try an impact screw driver and either loosen the bolt or break it off. Odds are it'll loosen with no problems. If it breaks, hopefully you be able to remove the damaged bar end over the bolt and have enough of a nub to attach channel lock pliers to remove the rest. It's possible the inner workings are damaged, but you won't know until you get the bar end off. Bad luck with fall. Good luck that no other damage you couldn't take care of.
Thank you I'll give it a shot

·
Registered
2 Posts
The same has happened to my Suzuki, I think when it fell in it's side.
I can remove the end but I think the think long pin is bent. Is it easy/cheap to replace? Anyone know?
Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
To keep the bar end from spinning, hold it with a pipe wrench, or a slip-joint pliers, while you turn the screw with a #2 phillips screwdriver bit in your ratchet. When installing the new bar end, wrap it with duct tape to keep the pliers or pipe wrench from scratching it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts