Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my battery on thr tender jr. over the winter. Except for the initial connection i had a solid green light the whole way. Just connected the battery. Solid connections everywhere on the hookup. Nothing turned on. No engine turning. No lights on the dash. Nothing. Anybody ever had this happen? I feel like it was a false reading on the battery. I've heard great things about the tender jr. but i dont have any other explaination.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I usually hook up the maintainer/tender about 1 per month rather than leaving it connected.
A good AGM battery should not need constant tending.
I never left the tender attached so I can't say for sure, but I am not surprised with your experience.

Ride safely,

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've never been one to trust any charging unit to remain left attached to a battery. I charge them up and then disconnect. Less grief.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. I'm gonna take my battery to the dealership and have it tested. Will tell you what the results were. But i think im done with the tendering. I plan on getting a new bike next year anyways. This one is only a year old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing some reading it looks like i should be checking the main fuse...fingers crossed. Hope thats all it is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success. It was the main fuse. Nothing to do with the tender (totally redeemed). When connecting the battery the connectors may have touched the wrong bits and shorted the fuse. In all, i found the right sound cover easy to take off however i do own a service manual. The main fuse is hiding under the red bit. It was a pain to take off. I disconnected the wiring around it for a few millimeters extra of wiggle room. Popped the fuse out. The spare fuse (not shown) is exposed and half sticking out underneath the black little box which is under the red bit. Popped that dirty 30 in and boom! Ill be celebrating Easter for the 2nd time because the lord has been resurrected!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Charging units these days are mostly smart devices that switch on and switch off when the voltage and current fall below a certain amount. Providing that you are using a reputable branded charger for the type of battery that you have, then you can just leave it connected for long periods without any issue. CTEK is a brand that I have used and recommend.

The issue with leaving a Lead Acid battery for long periods without charge will shorten the life of the battery. Deep cycle batteries such as the ones designed for boats are the exception.

AGM and Gel Batteries will discharge at slower rate and are sensitive to over charging so you could leave these sitting around for a month or to before connecting the charger.

Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine always goes on the tender ... No issues so far. I would rather have a fully charged battery ... In the past I learned that a low charge will start the engine, but if you short ride a few minutes and shut down, it will not be enough charge for a second start.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just curious... our bikes (2014 V-Star 650 Custom and 2014 Honda CB500FA) have been stored in a neighbour's unheated shed for the winter with the batteries left in, but not on a tender. I will be taking them out of storage in the next few days. So... what are the odds of them still having enough juice to start without a boost?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Make sure you keep the car off at all times when jump starting. I gotta agree with camperbc though. It'd be worth pulling the battery, grabbing a tender and giving it a boost at home.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of tenders won't charge a battery that has been deeply discharged. Google how to charge a deeply discharged battery for solutions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a separate device specifically for charging. The battery tender is not intended to charge a discharged battery. Both can be found at a reasonable price and well worth the investment. I've not messed up a battery using a charger. I have however trying to charge it from my automobile's battery.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Glen, may I suggest removing the batteries and bringing them inside the house and letting them warm up for two days before trying to charge them on a tender (if that is all that you have). It worked for me in Montana.

Admittedly, they were small batteries for a CT 110.

Trivia: I top off the battery in my Miata with the Battery Tender Jr., as well. I do not resort to the real battery charger unless I have to. The Miata is 18 years old and on it's 3rd battery.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just curious... our bikes (2014 V-Star 650 Custom and 2014 Honda CB500FA) have been stored in a neighbour's unheated shed for the winter with the batteries left in, but not on a tender. I will be taking them out of storage in the next few days. So... what are the odds of them still having enough juice to start without a boost?

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Well, believe it or not, after half a year in an unheated shed, throughout a brutally cold northern Newfoundland winter, my beloved 2014 CB500FA fired right up instantly! Wow, I'm impressed! The 2014 V-Star Custom's battery on the other hand, was almost dead; only enough juice to turn it over for about two seconds and that was it. So I currently have the V-Star's battery in the house on a charger; will install it again tomorrow and hope for the best. At only 1 or 2 degrees (C) it's still going to be difficult to fire up, I think.

But I was really surprised that the 500F started with no hesitation at all after such a long, cold (20 below zero) winter.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Well, believe it or not, after half a year in an unheated shed, throughout a brutally cold northern Newfoundland winter, my beloved 2014 CB500FA fired right up instantly! Wow, I'm impressed! The 2014 V-Star Custom's battery on the other hand, was almost dead; only enough juice to turn it over for about two seconds and that was it. So I currently have the V-Star's battery in the house on a charger; will install it again tomorrow and hope for the best. At only 1 or 2 degrees (C) it's still going to be difficult to fire up, I think.

But I was really surprised that the 500F started with no hesitation at all after such a long, cold (20 below zero) winter.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
As a follow-up to yesterday's post, after an overnight charge, the V-Star fired up instantly. All is good now, with both bikes ready to roll!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
That is good to hear Glen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts