Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time, a couple of days ago, my battery did not have enough oomph to start the bike. Admittedly, I have not ridden much over the last few months, since it's been hot as all get-out here in New Orleans, or raining, or both ..... just short rides at in-town speeds, topped off with over a month hiatus while I was involved with more pressing business. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you good people would have some ideas (practices or gadgets) that would provide a head's-up to the rider when his or her battery is getting low on charge.

I am aware of battery tenders, but I store my bike outside and thus do not want to have power cords laying around where kids/dogs/rats can interfere. I would just like to know when I need to take a nice long ride to let the charging circuit do its thing.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm riding my bike almost every day but still putting the battery to trickle charger every 3 months or so.
it's more than 4yrs and still running good.
I'm using Bosch C3 charger.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
i have a 2015 bike, for the first two years i pulled the battery out for winter and it was sitting on a shelf, before i put it back in the bike, i charged it

last year i left it in the bike connected even during winter, i tried to start it in January and it started on the first try without any issues and it was the same before the first ride this year

it is still cranking strong and starts on first try every time, i never used a battery tinder and don't ride regularly ... so take from it what you want

(btw. the temperatures here during winter are around -10°C to -20°C that's 14°F to -4°F and the bike sits in an unheated garage next to the house, so it is a few degrees warmer than outside, but not my too much)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry but batteries can die quickly and you wont have forewarning.

Even if you hooked up a voltage readout/display on you bike some where, just because it tells you the battery has say 13 volts doesn't mean it has enough power to start the bike!

Last summer I went to a local store with everything just fine, came out 15 minutes later to a no start. Push started it to get home. Battery measured at 12.3 volts, but couldn't start it up! Battery was 3 years old and just went out.

Best to ride 10 plus miles every 3 weeks and if it's a good battery it will be fine.
If your approaching the 3 year mark, you know anytime soon you might be left with a no start issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can get a solar trickle charger that would keep your battery healthy while not in use. Heat will kill a battery faster than anything so if you have not properly maintained your battery and it has had lots of time in the heat, it's probably time to get a new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts