Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 1st bike the other day, 15’ CB500f. I’ve been contemplating either bags for the back or a tank bag.

What have you done, and why? Brands? Ideas?

Right now I roll with a molle back pack that does ok, but would rather it be on the bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got my 1st bike the other day, 15’ CB500f. I’ve been contemplating either bags for the back or a tank bag.

What have you done, and why? Brands? Ideas?

Right now I roll with a molle back pack that does ok, but would rather it be on the bike.
I have a 2018 CB500F and I use the SHAD 39 Liter top case mounted at the back ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-sh39-top-case ), with its rack and plate ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shad-top-case-rack-honda-cb500f-cbr500r-2016-2018 ). Works fine, and it is not detrimental at all to the filtering capabilities of the bike. IMHO it's the best option if you are going to use the bike to commute to work among heavy traffic. Plus you can keep the helmet in the case if you ever go downtown with the bike and park it there.

Once mounted, it looks like in this video (but I don't have the side bags nor the tank bag):

I am thinking on getting some side bags for travelling... but not for everyday use.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Cortech 10 liter tank bag with magnetic mounting (very strong magnets grip the tank, heavy cushioning prevents paint damage). I carry a water bottle, maps, bungie cords, tire pressure gauge, flashlight, and so on. It is not big enough for large items.

Smaller than one in photo above. Looks sharp on my white CB500F.

One issue with tank bags on our bikes - you have to remove them to access the fuel filler cap. Takes two seconds with magnetic attachment. Bag has carrying handle.

The bag is not completely waterproof, OK for a while in very light rain. Comes with a rain cover which you have to put on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! This is the stuff I’m trying to find out. I love the simplicity of the tank bag, and have intentions of taking an extended trip soon, so the other set up would be nice too. I may end up investing in both. Tank bag for around town and the bags / box for an extended trip.

I live square in the middle of the US. So there isn’t really anyplace that’s too far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Perfect! This is the stuff I’m trying to find out. I love the simplicity of the tank bag, and have intentions of taking an extended trip soon
If you are going to use a tank bag for an "extended trip", seriously consider a tank bag with a "map display" compartment at its top. You will grow sick of having the GPS always in your face, and tracking the *easy* parts of the route with a simple paper map attached to you tank is bliss and allows you to see more "surrounding context" to make interesting detours (weather, gas and time allowing).

I use a simple top-tank map holder like this one: https://www.louis.eu/artikel/basic-map-pocket-strap-attachment-black/10025173

1 - 6 of 6 Posts